Meeting your competition face to face

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I am standing in one of my pickup banks securing $1000 in half’s that I had ordered 3 weeks ago. As I walked in one teller there recognized me and held up a nice shiny silver half and asked me if I wanted it. The drive through teller also sees me and says she has one, which she described as very old... (was a 64!) This bank has never been good for loose half’s but I get boxes there of various denominations and have had good luck. So I start the transaction to get my half’s and an older gentleman walks up and is doing something with the teller next to me. Right after he was done, he looks up and asked both tellers if they have any Kennedy half dollars. Both say no, as I am standing there with two boxes of half dollars on the counter. I just kind of smile and look down and he walks out... But what are the odds? I guess with the price of silver everyone and their mom is out looking for it. I know this area is picked very often so I don’t think he is the only one but that is a first for me. Anyone else had something similar happen to them?

Upvote 0

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
The guy behind me yesterday told the teller that he wanted to know if he could "bid higher" on the rolls - she said "Sorry, he asked first".
$397.50 in customer halves (1 '64, 1 BU '06P) and one "IKE" ('78)

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
Several times a week I run into other hunters and we don't share any words
only looks. Some give me angry looks. When we have loaded our boxes on
the Dolley's I Usually say good luck, but no response, only looks.....Oh well....

scotty1418

Jan 21, 2009
From what tellers have mentioned to me, it sounds like LOTS of people ask for halves - some of that being the type that just want some halves and dont care about silver. Then there are the others who look for silver but will just ask as they are in a bank.

Then there are the hardcore hunters -basically qualified as anyone on this forum :hello: who goes through the boxes too.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
People must be hoarding and not selling, like me. When your average Joe walks into the coin dealer or jeweler and finds that those 10 halves that he worked so hard to get are only worth $4 ea, when melt is at over $17, and he has that much invested in time and gas, he just may be highly discouraged.
Leaving that much more for us.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I no long open doors for people and let them into the bank before me because I onece let the competitiion in b4 me :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

OP
OP
AGCoinHunter

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Piercesdad said:
I no long open doors for people and let them into the bank before me because I onece let the competitiion in b4 me :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

Haha, I thought the same thing the other day. I was thinking the woman I just let in front me me might ask for all the halfs. Funny how when you are headed to the door, people seem to speed up their walking....

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Met mine face to face, and then drove him out =). My bank loves me too much. (That and the fact this guy dumped at the same back he picked em up at.)

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Fistfulladirt said:
People must be hoarding and not selling, like me. When your average Joe walks into the coin dealer or jeweler and finds that those 10 halves that he worked so hard to get are only worth $4 ea, when melt is at over $17, and he has that much invested in time and gas, he just may be highly discouraged.
Leaving that much more for us.

Dealers here are paying about 5.50 for a 90%er. I have visited a couple of the stores the last few days and it seems that an equal number are buying and selling. Many who are selling are making great profits cause they were smart enough to buy on the last correction or sooner.

It is funny in that when the prices get high, it draws out people who have been on the sideline who now want in on the action. Not long after they get in the price will correct and they will sell at the lower end, pi$$ed off that they lost $$ on the deal (called the "weak hands"). When the price goes back up they do it all over again.

One of my coin stores here had almost no gold today when I went in. The worker told me that lots have been buying lately (including orders from other dealers). So all the news coverage of the higher prices must be drawing out the masses a bit.

Better to buy low and sell high, instead of the other way around.

Jim

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I sure have run into other CRH'ers. My son ScoobaSteve. We hunt in other areas and respect each others territory. Sometimes we are hunting at the same time 50 miles away or in different States. When he gets a big score he opens the rolls while he is on the cell phone with me. I get a kick out of this.
Also met Kevin aka Ugotit. Great guy. Went MDing with him.
Ran into a crackhead CRH and Bad Bob the Albino. I had just dumped $1.000.00 in halves when Bad Bob the Albino walked in asking for halves.
I lingered around the bank long enough for him to purchase them. Then told him that he will like them as I left many real shiny ones in there. :laughing7:

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
Tuesday I was in a different area than normal checking a few banks. One bank I asked for large dollars or halfs, and the guy at the next teller was grinning like a possum eating persimmons. The drive thru teller had 1, 1966 ! Nobody gets them all, also picked up a 1950 ben, 2-68s,1-69 at another bank.

Mercury63

Oct 20, 2008
I haven't met my competition yet, but no unexpectedly there is some old guy who keeps beating me to the rolls near work. Twice this week banks told me they had just given away their halves. Darn those retired guys, they have all day, everyday to beat me out.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i have met one of the monster hunters in my area. they are 3 of them including me that i know about. the one i met turns out to be a old high school teacher of mine. he is retired now. he is a super nice guy and we exchange information weekly. i really enjoy talking to him. the other one that i know about i have tried to track down. he is an idiot. he orders from the same supply bank as i do, but he returns the dumps to the same bank. he also marks coins. i think that he has really slowed down my finds with all his dumping. the tellers tell me he is an older man and he does 10 boxes a week. i often ask them why they handle both ends of the transaction for him. he must know someone there or be a major account holder. who knows. :dontknow: i still hope i run into him one day and try and get him to dump someplace else.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread