Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dallgire

Jul 17, 2011
Around Columbia SC
Detector(s) used
rather not say! lol ;)
packerbacker said:
Dallgire wrote: "I thought this thread was about mensa not everyone give a story to a group of strangers on how intelligent you are?"

Isn't that what joining mensa would be? Go into a meeting room, or wherever, and tell a bunch of strangers how intelligent you are??

no i was referring to this topic saying why is everyone saying how smart they are and reasoning as to why we should believe they are intelligent. The OP asked a question about should i join or not. Not hey guys how smart are you let me hear your stories thats all :dontknow:

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MENSA is Latin for 'table', like The Round Table. Some of the more antisocial could benefit from contact with others, regardless of perceived issues. Getting some of the younger ones out of the house could be a chore otherwise.

Many people do not read nowadays. No judgement from me...I go through dry spells, but have read a ton over the years. I can't imagine leaving that wealth of accumulated knowledge untapped. The only 'out-of-family' ideas getting into the kids' heads are from the media and our messed up schools, if they don't read on their own and learn to think on their own.

IQ is analogous to the premise of Sun Tzu's Art of War. One may not have a huge army at their disposal and be pitted against a superior foe, but forethought, patience and, foremost, knowledge of the enemy and self are some of the ways in which one without resources can come out on top. In other words, the various modes of thought and expression vary widely and strength in one or more can be leveraged to become successful. With this in mind, most IQ tests are not a single score any more, but a collection of scores pointing out strengths and weaknesses. I have no idea what mine is and am not interested...would probably regret finding out :laughing7:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand what you are saying so I guess what they are doing is saying they would also qualify and the different parties are stating why they did or didn't join. I can put a round peg in a round hole given a few tries. ;D

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I don't think I'm interested in my IQ either. If I don't feel inadequate why should I take a test that would probably point out that I should. Kinda like participating in the other contest Dallgire suggested. ;D

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
dallgire said:
packerbacker said:
Dallgire wrote: "I thought this thread was about mensa not everyone give a story to a group of strangers on how intelligent you are?"

Isn't that what joining mensa would be? Go into a meeting room, or wherever, and tell a bunch of strangers how intelligent you are??

no i was referring to this topic saying why is everyone saying how smart they are and reasoning as to why we should believe they are intelligent. The OP asked a question about should i join or not. Not hey guys how smart are you let me hear your stories thats all :dontknow:

You'll notice after a while mate that most thread titles tend to give rise to other questions somewhere along the line. Most always tend to veer wildly off topic too as soon as someone disagrees with someone else (usually when i'm around, lol).
A quite boring topic can become suddenly popular due to a quick change in the content of the topic. That's how it is, and i think it adds to a thread sometimes for the better, and yes..worse!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually it is quite educational. I had heard of Mensa before but, if asked, I wouldn't have recalled their name. I'm sure there are others that have never heard of the organization. Even if one doesn't qualify to join, like myself, it doesn't hurt to know they exist. I do qualify for the VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) but I haven't joined them either.

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
I do qualify for the VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) but I haven't joined them either.

As a case in point, I do not qualify for the VFW even though I would like to join.
My time of service falls between the periods required for membership.

Thus, as prima facie evidence, whereas one may want to be a member of a group and cannot, there are others who can be a member of a group and choose not to be.

Best,
Scott

dallgire

Jul 17, 2011
Around Columbia SC
Detector(s) used
rather not say! lol ;)
packerbacker said:
Yeah, I don't think I'm interested in my IQ either. If I don't feel inadequate why should I take a test that would probably point out that I should. Kinda like participating in the other contest Dallgire suggested. ;D

:laughing9: :laughing9: yea that post didnt last long! :laughing9: :laughing9:

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK Ok I finally have to post. I was associated with Mensa in the late 50's, early 60's. Yes, to many, that is their claim to fame, in fact their only claim. I have seen them standing around with a cigarette in one hand and a glass of booze in the other trying to impress each other about themselves or their offspring based entirely upon an IQ test, which although it tries, cannot show a balanced IQ, only a resultant score...

Others that 'are ' -- balanced -- with high IQ's, are a dream to talk with. They do not have elevated egos since they realize that it is not something in which they personally had anything to do with, such as having red hair, blue eyes. or being extremely fortunate, by being born OIRISH. Hesh Dano.

Frankly it 'is' nice to not to have to explain each basic step in a theory, etc., but I draw the line in religion or politics. There logic and reason depart from the facts, such as we are able to define them, and emotion takes precedence.

No, Mensa can be a nice social exercise, depending your input and to whom, but it wasn't for me, so we soon parted company.

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again, I wish to thank all who have posted substantive comments.

Being on the higher side of the IQ curve can be either a blessing or a curse, depending on how it's used.
Just as if one had a "super power" eg. telepathy, telekinesis or such, it can either be used as a benefit or a detriment.
The choice lies within the individual. :thumbsup:

Best,
Scott

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a sidebar to the question of intelligence, does the increase of knowledge diminish the belief in God? Love?

I've heard that man is either smart or emotional. Never both.
"Ruled by the brain or the heart."
I think that such a position is a false universal instantiation, reduced to ad absurdum.

What do you think? (Try not to get into squabbles concerning Religion, please.)

Best,
Scott

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
As far as the intelligence/religion question goes Scott, I'll just say this:

In my view, many atheists seem to think that not believing in God actually makes them more intelligent. They seem to use atheism as an intellectual crutch IMO.

It is my personal belief that atheism is actually a religion itself. They spend more time trying to convert people to their way of thinking than a preacher at a tent revival.

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
found this online. Find out if you are a fool or not right now! ;D
http://www.iqtest.dk/main.swf

Thank you for your post.
However, I do not believe in "online tests."
I clicked the link and decided that it would be a waste of my time.

hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
As far as the intelligence/religion question goes Scott, I'll just say this:

In my view, many atheists seem to think that not believing in God actually makes them more intelligent. They seem to use atheism as an intellectual crutch IMO.

It is my personal belief that atheism is actually a religion itself. They spend more time trying to convert people to their way of thinking than a preacher at a tent revival.
Tuco,
You are very astute in your appraisal of atheism. :thumbsup:

Best,
Scott

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The test showed at what range someone would qualify for Mensa. You got the results right after taking the test. According to them there are many IQ tests that qualify you for Mensa. They don't use the old static test results anymore. It was posted on a Mensa site. I wonder if there are some lifetime members that would find out they no longer qualified if they retook the newer type tests??? :dontknow:

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I have said before, intelligence has it's place; depending on how one chooses to employ it.

That being said, I gravitate towards those who have similar interests. I always enjoy discourse of such; to learn and to teach.
To me, intelligence is to be taken with a grain of salt.

I am a pretty good player of chess.
I would much rather play someone who can beat me and thus learn than to be able to handily beat my opponent.

Best Wishes to All,
Scott

PS. Welcome to the fray, Tee! :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread