mercurey and metal??

buckeyehunter

Jan 29, 2005
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac
These finds are actually from a few weeks ago but things have been so crazy i just havent had a chance to post yet, this is actually my first mercurey dime! my brother and I also each found a wheatie and he found an interesting metal? believe it is civl war related, the picture turned out horrible but it has something to do with denver... i need to get a better picture of it.

this was a new site, a beutiful mid 1800's farm house we have permission to detect, still a lot there to detect, looking forward to it!

Attachments

• DSC01121.jpg
    DSC01121.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 567
  • DSC01225.jpg
    DSC01225.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 573
  • DSC01229.jpg
    DSC01229.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 567
Upvote 0

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ya baby SILVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! congrats

DigMO

Sep 29, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX,Whites 6000 Di PRO SL
Really nice looking merc.My first silver find was a 41 merc but it didn't look that good.Can you post a better pic of the medal?Congrats.

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
mike28 said:
he found an interesting metal? believe it is civl war related, the picture turned out horrible but it has something to do with denver... i need to get a better picture of it.

How about posting the complete inscriptions?

Thanks!

OP
OP
buckeyehunter

buckeyehunter

Jan 29, 2005
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac
PBK -the complete inscription says denver 1905 39th national encampment, not sure what it means or what exactly it is for but would be great if anyone has any info.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Bingo!

It's from the 39th National Encampment (reunion, convention) of the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR), an organization for Union veterans of the Civil War, held in Denver, Colorado on September 7-8, 1905.

The center of the medal you found looks as if it might depict a "bronc buster"— a design used on other souvenirs from the 1905 Denver encampment, such as the top portion of this badge:

Attachments

• GAR05.jpg
    GAR05.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 269

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PBK said:
Bingo!

It's from the 39th National Encampment (reunion, convention) of the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR), an organization for Union veterans of the Civil War, held in Denver, Colorado on September 7-8, 1905.

The center of the medal you found looks as if it might depict a "bronc buster"— a design used on other souvenirs from the 1905 Denver encampment, such as the top portion of this badge:

That is some great detective work, Thanks for posting it for all of us to see. I'll have to send you some reunion badges I've found. One is from the Chicago reunion and one is from Atlanta 1909. Thanks again. Love to see what those badges really looked like.

Mike thank you for starting this post. Love the Mercury Dime and really like the CW reunion badge.

HH, Ringfinder

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mikey, puppy, Great job on finding your first Merc. :)

I know work is stressful and crazy for you right now.....so get out there and detect....it's the best form of relaxation there is. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread