Mercury gilded 1850-1865 Civil War era US Navy cuff button!

celtex

Oct 25, 2009
Texas Panhandle
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, XLT; ACE 250;Bounty Hunter,Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• DSCN3187.JPG
    DSCN3187.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,481
  • button_back.jpg
    button_back.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,944
Re: Button Guys to the rescue! Date and ID please

bigcypresshunter said:
fyrffytr1 said:
Correct me if I am wrong( And I am most of the time!) but I noticed that the upper fluke of the anchor is behind the wing. All the buttons in Albert's have the fluke in front of the wing except for one or two. And those two have part of the fluke point showing.
Now, what that means as far as this button being civilian or military, I don't know. I just thought I would point that out.
good observation
As far as I know most if not all of the ones with the wing behind the fluke are around civil war period and the ones with the wing in front of or above the fluke are later

Upvote 0

GREAT INFO V,THANKS!!!

Upvote 0

We still dont know if the back is ferrous, but if it is, would it be safe to say its a CW era hat button?

Upvote 0

bigcypresshunter said:
We still dont know if the back is ferrous, but if it is, would it be safe to say its a CW era hat button?

Sorry for the delay, the button is not magnetic.

Upvote 0

celtex said:
bigcypresshunter said:

LOL well then that explains it all. ;D The partial remaining back appeared to be ferrous metal but thats what we get for assuming.

It turned out to be a great discussion on tin back hat buttons (which yours is not). Correct me if Im wrong but it appears to be a mercury gilded 1850-1865 Civil War era US Navy cuff button. Nice find.

Upvote 0

Question for Vayank. Something I want to point out. Below are several of a cache of Civil War buttons that I found in South Florida years ago. It included some Confederate Navy buttons, probably my best find ever. I notice that the anchor flute is tucked behind the wing making it Civil War but the anchor flute is clearly different than the button above. Is this because of the different manufacturers? Mine are Waterbury. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,59629.0.html

MVC-001E.JPGMVC-002E.JPG

Attachments

• MVC-001E.JPG
    MVC-001E.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 933
  • MVC-002E.JPG
    MVC-002E.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 917
Upvote 0

bigcypresshunter said:
celtex said:
bigcypresshunter said:

LOL well then that explains it all. ;D The partial remaining back appeared to be ferrous metal but thats what we get for assuming.

It turned out to be a great discussion on tin back hat buttons (which yours is not). Correct me if Im wrong but it appears to be a mercury gilded 1850-1865 Civil War era US Navy cuff button. Nice find.

You guys rock and it was an education on buttons THAT I truly enjoyed! :notworthy: Thanks for everyones time and info. What a group and always so informative! I'll mark this one as salved! Thanks again to all!

Upvote 0
Good discussion. Thanks to IP and Vayank, I will take a closer look at iron backed Navy looking buttons.. They may not all be civilian.

Upvote 0
Looks like I sent some C.W. buttons to a new happy home :thumbsup:Good work guys!!

Upvote 0

celtex said:
bigcypresshunter said:
celtex said:
bigcypresshunter said:

You guys rock and it was an education on buttons THAT I truly enjoyed! :notworthy: Thanks for everyones time and info. What a group and always so informative! I'll mark this one as solved! Thanks again to all!

Any idea onnthe "value" in its deplorable shape?

Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Question for Vayank. Something I want to point out. Below are several of a cache of Civil War buttons that I found in South Florida years ago. It included some Confederate Navy buttons, probably my best find ever. I notice that the anchor flute is tucked behind the wing making it Civil War but the anchor flute is clearly different than the button above. Is this because of the different manufacturers? Mine are Waterbury. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,59629.0.html
I'm not sure on the anchors fluke. I would have to guess that it is because of the makers but can't say for sure. Sorry

Upvote 0
Sorry mine are Scovill Waterbury.

I dont have any button books but here is a page from Alberts I found online.

Attachments

• alberts navy button.jpg
    alberts navy button.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 745
Upvote 0
Here are the buttons Kuger set to me (thanks again man!) One all the way to the right seems like a bad repro or a civilian button, quality does not match the others. Only one is backmarked (one all the way to the left)

Let me know what you guys think as far as age is concerned, very interesting stuff here.

Attachments

• bfront.jpg
    bfront.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 612
  • bback.jpg
    bback.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 585
Upvote 0
I think they are repros,I will be anxious to see.They will display nice with your buckle though.Glad you like them Capri :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back