Mercury Poisoning Continues - And if you lead an Ironhorse to water...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That pillager will steal your silver cob! :tongue3:

On Nov. 6th, 2013 I dug a Mercury dime and have not found a single silver coin since, and was damn close to that cob, but no dice. Too bad because it would have been breaking out of a slump in style! Not sure if I'll get another chance with a lot of snow coming, but hoping.

I did dig plenty of targets, not showing the trashy type junk, but I certainly had the chance for something better.

Colonial era flat buttons

George II Halfpenny Circa. 1740-1754 (most likely a cast counterfeit)

Sling buckle

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 178
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 144
Upvote 6

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In your pile of copper/buttons, there appears to be a piece of silver. Unless I'm seeing something else? Is it a silver button?

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that a french marine button on bottom left?

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Here's a couple superstitious cures for your mercury poisoning: 1. bury that Merc back where it came from because it's homesick so put a silver-coin jinx on you! OR 2. start considering that Merc to be a talisman for future good luck and carry it wherever you detect, especially back to the area where you dug it to carefully re-detect a big swath around that spot just in case the merc is trying to get you back there for a fabulous missed find! :laughing7: lol :laughing7: I don't even believe these suggestions myself, but you could try the talisman idea. Have Fun! Andi

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Now that's a slump!

If you have to break it, I hope you do it in style
Hopefully so good karma comes your way and silver is everywhere for you next time

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I will say this. That's a decent amount of keepers bud. As for the silver slump....you've been cursed by that mercury dime. This might require a sacrifice. Stab that dime 8 times then bury it 8" deep and pee on that spot 8 times. Next hunt you WILL find a beautiful OLD silver. Not kidding here bro. This is serious business.

leenie

Dec 30, 2006
Northwest Indiana
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro xp dues
hi mr patch I think to break a curse you have to kiss a toad. I just can't remember witch end of the toad. pucker up and good luck!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a nice pile of colonial buttons IP. With that kind of productivity at the site there's a good chance another early silver will reveal itself. And hopefully you'll be the one to walk over it next time.

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least you had a good chance of breaking that slump digging old targets! It might be a while with all this storm headed our way, but we can only hope for a ig thaw afterwards.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of targets, old targets, so like you said anything can happen.

I haven't seen dirt in 3 weeks exactly.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You really have to watch those hunting partners, lol. They'll get the goods on you if you don't. Surely you must be only hunting colonial era sites if it has been that long since silver. With your reputation, I have no doubts your drought will end, and end in a big way. You made some great finds, IP, so don't sweat it.

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, I like the sling buckle. I was a few feet away from a cob & a piece if cut 8 reale last weekend, some people have all the luck!

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really have to watch those hunting partners, lol. They'll get the goods on you if you don't. Surely you must be only hunting colonial era sites if it has been that long since silver. With your reputation, I have no doubts your drought will end, and end in a big way. You made some great finds, IP, so don't sweat it.

Yes, you're right, we stick the older spots and it's just tougher there. I could easily go to the park and find a silver coin... but to me that would seem like cheating my way out of the slump and I want to break it legitimately. It might be a modern silver coin I end up finding, but as long as it turns up at my usual type sites, it will count.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, I like the sling buckle. I was a few feet away from a cob & a piece if cut 8 reale last weekend, some people have all the luck!

Just how it goes, and I have been on the other side many times. I have 8 cobs, somewhere around there anyway, and don't know anyone within a few hundred miles who has found as many.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If the Cob wasn't in the picture the hunt totals were pretty close, ah to have him dig from under your nose (so to speak) must sting a tad bit since your silver slump is long and dry but not quite at the depression stage. Now with 8 Cobs in your pouch you should share a bit with your detecting bud.
Since you've taken park hunting off the table to break the slump, maybe take up some of that coin roll hunting-that should be fun.:laughing7:

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the Cob wasn't in the picture the hunt totals were pretty close, ah to have him dig from under your nose (so to speak) must sting a tad bit since your silver slump is long and dry but not quite at the depression stage. Now with 8 Cobs in your pouch you should share a bit with your detecting bud.
Since you've taken park hunting off the table to break the slump, maybe take up some of that coin roll hunting-that should be fun.:laughing7:

We always dig lots of holes, and there's plenty of melted lead and fragmented brass & copper that doesn't make prime time, so even though the digging is even, you don't really see the true numbers.

Coin roll hunting? Watch your mouth!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We always dig lots of holes, and there's plenty of melted lead and fragmented brass & copper that doesn't make prime time, so even though the digging is even, you don't really see the true numbers.

Coin roll hunting? Watch your mouth!

Well I hope the latest weather system just gives a pass so you can have a few digs yet left in the season. That or somebody might see you in the early lineup at the local branch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread