Met a Beautiful gal and friends today,she came home with me.

Hardrock

May 25, 2004
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, with sunray probe,Minelab SE,Eureka Gold
Hi All:
Got an urgent phone call a couple days ago from my brother-in-law Scott saying he had secured a couple of great old sites in SE Iowa to detect and needed help. I retired recently and had a little spare time so I had to break down and help out. I got up yesterday morning 05:00 and headed down and arrived about 08:30. We had :coffee2:cahatted abit and headed to site #1 :thumbsup:wow it looked great. Old stone place date of it above main door carved in the stone 1868. We worked about 1 and half hours and found about 2 cents,new to boot. Cleanest yard I have ever worked. We then headed to great site #2. Scott talked with owner and double checked permission,OK to go. We worked another hour or so and checked in,finding some wheaties ,clad,whatzits etc. Keep going was the word. I moved to the front porch area and was working a recently cut out tree and bushes,nothing moving to the outside of the rock edge the Minelab
read 29/03 then 22/15 close to each other about an inch or so, set to pinpoint it was weak on the signal,very weak. I centered and dug to 6" probed with the Sunray probe and it was solid but not strong. Removing more to 8" probed again and stronger. Working futher down removing dirt to 10" on the measured digging tool the probe then sounded off very well. Reaching in and feeling around I felt and edge,clearing away more I finally got ahold of it and removed it,it was a larger coin and cleaning off the dirt revealed a very pretty gal, 1823 capped bust half dollar,yee haw. Now Scott saw me over there and came over thinking that I was having a seizure or something saw what I had and was shocked too. After regaining composure, I probed the hole to hear more and dug dirt out and another gal popped out,1840"O"
seated dime. Holed though,check again,bingo more there. Remove more dirt and another coin,silver,1774 2 reale,geez settle down heart. Check again another silver,holed,so smooth that it is not readable. Wooha nice dig. Now after 36 years of doing this you would think that you could be a little calmer but not to be. Had to break for lunch and settle down a bit. After lunch we hit the spot again. Now it was Scotts turn, he hit a civil war button,gold still on it, artillery.He is researching it to check it out. Then he hits an 1842 seated dime VF to AU no holes or scratches,nice. We then really bore down on it and found more goodies but not as old,an 1874 Brazillian 40P,mercs,silver rosies,and other clad coins. Worked till dark and called it a day. I have no pics of Scotts finds but do of mine.(left the camera home) Enjoy these I sure am. Thanks Hardrock :icon_sunny:

Attachments

• Jill misc.pics 08 022.jpg
    Jill misc.pics 08 022.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 1,909
  • Jill misc.pics 08 023.jpg
    Jill misc.pics 08 023.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 1,896
  • Jill misc.pics 08 024.jpg
    Jill misc.pics 08 024.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 1,897
  • Jill misc.pics 08 027.jpg
    Jill misc.pics 08 027.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 1,891
Upvote 0

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Wow!!!!! :thumbsup:

What a beatiful coin. That's got to be the nicest one I've ever seen come out of the ground.
Way To Go!
Mike

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are freaking nice. Good Job :thumbsup: What would you guys say $250 coin???

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am jealous to say the least! That is an awsome half dollar! I guess I am also impressed at retrieving a coin that deep with out putting a mark on it. No matter where you go, there you are!

Bob

eggbag

Mar 17, 2008
Wow banner for sure. That half looks like the "ugly or normal " 3 type, probably grade between very fine and extremely fine.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome hunt and finds. Now your going to have to find some good sites for your brother to hunt.

I love that half...great condition.

NJ

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Awesome pocket spill.

I'd get back to that yard again. Still looking for a bust half myself. That one is a real beauty to.

HH Jer

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Yes, a banner find for sure.
I can't help thinking about the poor slob that lost his whole months pay in one shot. What a bummer that must have been. :'(

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You were fully justified for having a seizure, I know I would have had one. Bust half isn't even on my wish list, I seriously doubt that I'll ever find one here in Denver. Amazing spill, Banner-Baby!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats what I call OLD silver. :thumbsup: Amazing....absolutely amazing finds. Nominating for banner now. :D :thumbsup:

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gulp! :o

Any one of those coins would be awesome to dig up! I can understand all the excitement...I'd say go back and hit it but sounds like yall worked it pretty hard...but hey you never know still (especially if the coins are that deep). Congrats again, that's sweet!

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Have any pictures of the site?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread