Met a jerk today

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
I have read most of the replies to this thread, wow! I can see both sides, but must say that I agree with blacksheep. People who own homes take care of that easement as if it were apart of their front lawn. That means they fertilize it, mow it, spray it for weeds, edge it, etc... I'm sure many of you have dug in your own yards for coins and such. Not everyone shares your hobby though. Personally I don't think I would want someone I don't know digging plugs in front of my house. First, I have little kids that play in the front yard. Strangers and my kids don't mix. Second, digging plugs can leave deadspots in the heat of summer. Remember, it might be the cities property but the homeowner takes care of it and has to live with what it looks like. My two centavos ;D

John

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
Ray in WA said:
Blacksheep,

As I have already intimated, I don't go and detect nicely manicured easements. I look for the old, unkept easements. The strip I was detecting was already a brown, dead grassy area. The only thing someone did to it was to mow it to keep it from looking completely like a weed field.

Secondly, I have to assume that you are a treasure hunter of some sort and, like everyone else, enjoy your hobby. But I have a real problem with your type of argumentation because it can be used against even someone like yourself. You said:

I love treasure hunting but I refuse to bow to a mindset that trampling my neighbors happiness in pursuit of my own is accepted as normal.

The fact of the matter is, treasure hunting in all forms is offensive to the happiness of greenies in government and environmentally like-minded people, even when it is proved to have a beneficial impact upon the environment (such as dredging for gold in streams). But that doesn't matter to some people who are intent on imposing their environmental vision upon you and me and our legal right to treasure hunt.

So my question to you is, are you willing to give up your happiness in treasure hunting to pacify those whose happiness is predicated upon a mindset that seeks to completely preserve the environment from people like us despite our legal rights?

Just trying to see if how far you're willing to take your own logic.

HH,

Ray

Ray, your exactly right that my own argument could be used against me. If its a matter between a hobby and property value (in our area, the right-of-way is a huge part of "curb appeal", taken a step further my neighbors property and how its maintained can have a huge impact on value), I `ll put property value first.

Putting things back into the correct context Ray, stop giving those " greenies in government and environmentally like-minded people" additional ammunition in their cause, again make every attempt to be proactive and be courteous, ask first.

BB, thank you for the link. In the back of my mind I already knew the vast majority use forward thinking where this hobby is concerned, I apologize to all for my childish threat.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blacksheep said:
BB, thank you for the link. In the back of my mind I already knew the vast majority use forward thinking where this hobby is concerned, I apologize to all for my childish threat.

No need to apologize, my friend. I get frustrated at times too, but the only way to effect positive change is to lead by example and help raise everyone up. I think that the participants in this hobby on the whole need to be more concerned with ethics. Detecting is not our father or grandfather's hobby anymore, and the glorious 1960s are long gone. We need to have both good intentions and good ethics for our hobby to survive well into the future.

Regards,

Buckles

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're OK blacksheep, I don't care what anyone says about you. :thumbsup:

I am a homeowner too. I live in way to new of a neighborhood to worry about anyone wanting to detect here, but I hate when people park with their tires on the grass by the sidewalk, even if it is technically on city property. I don't like when bicycles cut through my yard either, or when litter gets thrown on my yard and 4th of July fireworks end up on my lawn, or when a stray dog does his business, etc.

In the scheme of life, so what!.... it's only dirt and grass. I have a lot more important things to be concerned with than a little turf damage, it's not like it's permanent or anything, winter does a lot worse damage here in Indiana. Life is too short to get all worked up over a little brown spot in the grass. I just wish that's all I had to worry about.

I am not endorsing detecting without permission on or near a homeowners property, but common sense should prevail as I believe Ray properly used.

GG~

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
GoodyGuy said:
You're OK blacksheep, I don't care what any one says about you. :thumbsup:

I am a homeowner too and I hate when people park with their tires on the grass by the sidewalk, even if it is technically on city property. I don't like when bicycles cut through my yard either, or when litter gets thrown on my yard and 4th of July fireworks end up on my lawn.

In the scheme of life, so what!.... it's only dirt and grass. I have a lot more important things to be concerned with than a little turf damage, it's not like it's permanent or anything, winter does a lot worse damage here in Indiana. Life is too short to get all worked up over a little brown spot in the grass. I just wish that's all I had to worry about.

I am not endorsing detecting without permission on or near a homeowners property, but common sense should prevail as I believe Ray properly used.

GG~

Agreed, and an apology to Ray is in order since I doubt he intended for his thread to go the direction it took, I apologize Ray. Hopefully we can all see the need to take action in protecting a hobby embraced by thousands and take a few simple steps towards that common goal.

A

art of fact

All hobbies and sports have there ins and outs evan the most harmless ones(so to speak),Kites on power lines golf balls are hell on a lawn mower baseballs go threw windows and some times a hole dug from detecting can sink a little but no one makes a big issue out of it why?because everyone just wants to get along with there fellow man(or women)-dont want to start another debate,I think thats the american dream isnt it,The only thing tom was looking for was a little sympathy because he was upset wich can sometimes cause us to go on a little more than maybe we should,But instead he got someone that would rather threaten him and everyone else to try and take are hobby away.It appears to me that you are a very lonely person looking for attention,For that I am sorry,How do I know this,Because you said yourself that you do not own a detector and dont detect and it seems to me you have a very low opinion of the hobby and the people who do so therefore whith all the different sites on the internet why are you on this one.Im new on this site but I have been reading it for years and I can tell you that I have never never been involved with such a wonderful class of people most here are very kind , honest,thoughtful,intelligent and very well mannered ,perhaps you could be more produtive walking around picking up cigarrette butts,This country is based on freedom. Art Of Fact

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
art of fact said:
All hobbies and sports have there ins and outs evan the most harmless ones(so to speak),Kites on power lines golf balls are hell on a lawn mower baseballs go threw windows and some times a hole dug from detecting can sink a little but no one makes a big issue out of it why?because everyone just wants to get along with there fellow man(or women)-dont want to start another debate,I think thats the american dream isnt it,The only thing tom was looking for was a little sympathy because he was upset wich can sometimes cause us to go on a little more than maybe we should,But instead he got someone that would rather threaten him and everyone else to try and take are hobby away.It appears to me that you are a very lonely person looking for attention,For that I am sorry,How do I know this,Because you said yourself that you do not own a detector and dont detect and it seems to me you have a very low opinion of the hobby and the people who do so therefore whith all the different sites on the internet why are you on this one.Im new on this site but I have been reading it for years and I can tell you that I have never never been involved with such a wonderful class of people most here are very kind , honest,thoughtful,intelligent and very well mannered ,perhaps you could be more produtive walking around picking up cigarrette butts,This country is based on freedom. Art Of Fact

Art, save your sympathy for someone more deserving, my opinion and concerns are valid on not only a personal level but for the hobby as a whole and just as much as everybody else`s opinions and concerns.

Your insults do little to further the hobby or this particular issue, again save it for somebody more deserving.

(or at least attempt to disguise it as others do :wink: )

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
art-of-facts, I don't think you were "insulting". I too think kite-flying should be outlawed, because yes, kites sometimes do go into power lines, fall and hurt innocent kids, etc... Shame on them guys >:(

B-sheep: you continue to assert that md'ing MUST, by its very nature, leave "a strong probability of brown spots" That is where this conversation stumbles. It would be like me asserting that anyone who runs a power lawn mower WILL, by their very nature, break noise ordinances. Why does this logic step necessarily follow? Sure, there's morons in any hobby. There's frisbee throwers that nearly knocked my eye out at the beach last week with an errant throw. I mean, c'mon! Besides, aren't you reading that Ray was detecting an already dead and abandoned section of city eavesment? Using him as an example, would you even cut him some slack in that case, or do you run off to the alderman still ::)

blurr, you say: "I would want someone I don't know digging plugs in front of my house ....... digging plugs can leave deadspots in the heat of summer." I would say the same to you: envision persons who have the presence-of-mind to avoid turf hunting in the heat of the summer. I do most of my turf hunting in the moist winter/fall/spring, and I know other park hunters who do the same. Envision those that don't leave any trace, and if that doesn't fit what's actually happening, then sure, those in that sub-set are out of line. .

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Tom, you're beating your head against a rock here. It doesn't matter what you say, some people will actually tell you the sky is green, when you say it's blue. some people just love to argue to make themselves heard
It still comes down to RESPECT for those around you.
Is it illegal?, no. Is it morally wrong?, no. It comes down to perception of rights.

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Blacksheep,

Ray, your exactly right that my own argument could be used against me.

Then really you have no argument.

As for an apology, I don't think that's necessary my friend. You didn't offend me. And that's the great thing about this country and this forum--you're entitled to your opinion, even when you're wrong. :wink:

HH,

Ray

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Man, I just noticed my thread generated 70 posts! I think that's the most posts I've generated by starting a thread! :headbang:

Ray

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Just thought of another analogy: Let's say you have, as your family car, a 1986 Honda accord. It's "capable", on long straight flats of freeways, of reaching 110 mph, right? Then does one *assume* that you, the driver, will therefore go 110 mph? And thus cars and drivers should be out-lawed? No, of course not. Then why, if a detector or the operator are "capable" of doing damage, is it automatically assumed that they WILL do damage?

Most guys I know take great pains to not stick out, not do damage, leave no trace, use common sense, etc....

A

art of fact

The only one here being a threat to this hobby blacksheep is you :wink:nuff said.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
This was some interesting reading, but kind of spun off into the ozone. Many valid points were made but they did not pertain to the actual events that took place. Yes the points were remotely related and valid but did not pertain to the actual events.

Ray was on a R.O.W. of an abandoned home. Not very well maintained R.O.W. and is challenged by the neighborhood grouch who states he is with the police department. (could have been the janitor at the station). Mr. Grumpy calls the police before he even talked to Ray. I guess old grumpy did not like to see someone enjoying himself and decided to call the police, then go out of his way to give a piece of his mind to a perfect stranger.

1. Ray was not on grumpy's property.
2. Grumpy called the police before he even talked to Ray.
3. Trying to intimidate Ray with his association with the police department.
4. The R.O.W. was not in front of the Mr. Grumpy's property, but Grumpy decided to create a situation anyhow. He could have waited a few minutes and Ray would have been gone.
5. The police did not show up, because.....Ray was doing nothing wrong.

In my opinion Ray did not do anything wrong and should not have been subjected to the harassment of old grumpy.

That was my two cents.

Very interesting read, thank you for posting it.

Ray S

~Audiz~

Nov 9, 2008
Rochester, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250...Garrett Pro-pointer... "The secret of vast riches begins with a single penny"
Jeep said:
That is why I always wear a orange vest and hardhat

Everyone ignores a working Joe, Just another city worker in there mind, Yet I impersonate no one.

Even my special ID badge that I made has never been read.

If they ever did they would see the name is: U.R. Stupid.
Dept of Treasure
City of Dreams

But hey, it's laminated and looks good. ;D

:thumbsup: That is the funniest thing I have ever read. :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
After reading this, I could've dug many a coin from a right of way by now. Just go dig! If you know your legal-ignore them. I have( that really pisses them off). Headphones and the "I can't hear you" usaully works. A jerk? If it was the "private" landowner, I would have left.
Newt

~Audiz~

Nov 9, 2008
Rochester, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250...Garrett Pro-pointer... "The secret of vast riches begins with a single penny"
Jeep said:
Ohhhhhh

I like this game

MMmmmm I will see your Alderman and raise you a Senator

Your move :D

:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: Have to say that you have made the end of a hard day at work cheerful with your humor, :laughing9: :laughing9:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
art of fact said:
The only one here being a threat to this hobby blacksheep is you :wink:nuff said.

This constitutes a personal attack. Please Think before you post.

Blacksheep, I tried to reply to your PM and it said "member not found." Please tell me how I can contact you, or if I need to send the PM to another name (if you've changed your name since you first joined the site).

Regards,

Buckles

~Audiz~

Nov 9, 2008
Rochester, NY
Detector(s) used
GoodyGuy said:
Blacksheep said:
I do hope the sponsors to this site are paying close attention. 60,000 people in this city may be effected by this Tom. I`m one guy Tom, with nothing to lose (as far as metal detecting goes). I could have been a great advocate for the use of that one specific tool used in treasure hunting (the detector) but now find I am forced to act against that tool because the relative few again cause issue for the great many, how very sad.

One can only imagine what all the "Joe homeowners" think while reading this thread.

Right.............. you are up in arms about something that happened to someone else in another state, where even the police were on the side of the detectorist. So now you are going to try and do what exactly? You want to try and get metal detecting outlawed in your own city because you do not agree with someone Else's personal opinion who doesn't even live in your state?

Are you listening to yourself?

Most any intelligent "Joe" homeowner would not see a problem with someone detecting in an area that is not even their property, when care is given to preserve the turf. Especially if they are reading this thread, because now they know we are not out to do them any harm whatsoever. We are only pursuing our hobby in a lawful manner.

GG~

I have never seen any damage done from people enjoying this healthy hobby and I go to many parks. If anything how about the people that walk or let the dogs run loose, letting them mess up the yards and parks and not picking up after them. Now there is a law for that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread