Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Jezo Cristo, guys, give it a rest.

You guys sound like a couple of lawyers that sat in wet paint on a park bench.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goes4ever said:
I know in my city it is legal to detect the curbs, I emailed the mayors office and they contacted me back with the proper person in the city to speak to, he informed me it was the city ROW and it was absolutely fine for people to detect AND dig on. He also said "IF" a homeowner did not like it and wanted me too leave, to just move on, even though it was fine for me to be there.

I have hunted many curbs and no one has ever said a word to me, if I see the owner outside I simply say "do you mind if I detect on the strip of grass THAT THE CITY OWNS?" not one person has told me no yet.........I just make sure to let them know the city owns it, I think it is best to ask permission, even if legally you do not have to.

I stick to old areas with run down houses, rentals etc...and most of the curbs are not nicely planted with flowers etc. I would NEVER detect curbs that are planted nicely or really well maintained.

Here is a good case where asking permission for Public property--Worked! :thumbsup:

Great job, Goes4ever.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ohiochris said:
Hunting easements in front of occupied homes is just rude however , unless you have specific permission to do it. Doesnt matter who owns it, if someone is cutting the grass and trying to keep it looking nice then they have every right to object as far as Im concerned.

I agree 100%

deepbeep

Jun 11, 2009
Bolivar, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
This entire post has gone crazy wild!

Let's remember the post here.
1. The easment in question here was an abandoned house.
2. They "Jirk" was a neighbor, not the owner of the house.
3. There is no ordance agianst hunting easments.

We are not talking about digging up sprinkling systems, being discurtious to the home owner living there, or damaging somebodies yard. We ARE talking about an abandoned house and a "Jirky neighbor" who had no reason or authority to confront a fellow metal detector who was breaking no laws. Period. Many other good points have been made here, and yes permission should be obtained when appropriate, but that isn't the point here at all.

That is my last comment in this tread.
Tim

A

art of fact

Man has always been his own worse enemy.This is not just about easements or parks this is an open discussion,This is also about are rights,not just because we pay are taxes but because we are americans.It is not are job to guess whether or not some place is private property,It is the resposibility of the city or town to put up a sigh or a fence,As long as you fill your holes and leave it the way it was are hobby is no more a liability than any other hobby what other hobby requires permission or permits.All sorts of objects are left behind by people who litter,drugaddicts,dealers,and thugs that can harm children and adults,We clean these things up,Are hobby does way more good than harm.Please fill your holes and obey the law,That is all that .There are those that would appose our own rights and those who do not,Those who appose,like to create a mountain out of a mole hill.We have enough laws restricting us,We do not need to create more.Thank you and enjoy detecting.Art Of Fact.

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
art of fact said:
Man has always been his own worse enemy.This is not just about easements or parks this is an open discussion,This is also about are rights,not just because we pay are taxes but because we are americans.It is not are job to guess whether or not some place is private property,It is the resposibility of the city or town to put up a sigh or a fence,As long as you fill your holes and leave it the way it was are hobby is no more a liability than any other hobby what other hobby requires permission or permits.All sorts of objects are left behind by people who litter,drugaddicts,dealers,and thugs that can harm children and adults,We clean these things up,Are hobby does way more good than harm.Please fill your holes and obey the law,That is all that .There are those that would appose our own rights and those who do not,Those who appose,like to create a mountain out of a mole hill.We have enough laws restricting us,We do not need to create more.Thank you and enjoy detecting.Art Of Fact.

I have to totally disagree. It is your responsibility to gain permission, not the cities liability to post signage. This is the kind of stuff that gets detecting banned. Is it really that hard to find out the city ordinances, or knock on a few doors asking permission. No, I'm afraid the world isn't your oyster.

John

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Blurr, you say, regarding city properties: "It is your responsibility to gain permission" How about we change that to: "It is your responsibility to find out if it is dis-allowed" ? :thumbsup:

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
Tom_in_CA said:
Blurr, you say, regarding city properties: "It is your responsibility to gain permission" How about we change that to: "It is your responsibility to find out if it is dis-allowed" ? :thumbsup:

I also asked if it was really that hard to check on local ordinances. I am going to finally quit after this post because this isn't going anywhere. I will just say that it should come as of no shock to anyone if this hobby is banned in cities and towns all together. It's a lott easier to ban it than it is to have people arguing all the time. The cities don't want this kind of headache. Then you can go out into the countryside, probably more fresh air out there anyways!!!

John

A

art of fact

You have a dog that bites,A ups driver stops to deliver a package and doesnt see a beware of dog sign,He gets bitten,Is it the ups drivers fault?

A

art of fact

Maybe he should not have guessed there wasnt a dog and should have called to ask permission to deliver the package,But I guess if he did that,All of the drivers would end up having to ask.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SWR said:
deepbeep said:
3. There is no ordance agianst hunting easments.

There are ordinances in regards to digging/excavating/snooping-about on easements.

For some reason (well...the reason is obvious) the proponents to this type of metal detecting wish to sidestep the fact :dontknow:

SWR, no no one is sidestepping this fact. It has been discussed very deeeeepply on this thread, if you read s-l-o-w-l-y. The different sides may feel differently about definitions, intents-of-law, and such, but to say it hasn't been discussed is not accurate. That very point has been discussed in depth.

Let's put it this way: I'm assuming there is a law about "driving while distracted" or "erratic driving" or other such catch-all vehicle code rules, right? So that way, if you get pulled over for slight weaving, or erratic lane change, etc..., there is a catch-all that they can write that up in. But if you say to the officer: "But officer, I was eating my hamburger while driving. There's no law against eating and driving, so therefore you can't give me a ticket". The officer will reply "maybe there's no rule about eating while driving, but I can apply the erratic lane change rule to ticket you".

So, using the above example, we're all sitting here arguing about whether or not it's legal to eat hamburgers and drive at the same time!! While not specifically illegal, a certain OUTCOME of eating and driving could be illegal. One person can eat and drive just fine, without wiggle or drift. The next person can't keep the car in his lane, so he's in violation of the law.

Therefore I say that if someone detects with no indication of his presence, then he's like the person who can eat his burger and drive normally, thus not running afoul of laws (or at least, the intent of the law, since .... yes ... we can debate that temporary 20 second probe or plug process, even though it's gonna be covered, stomped & ruffled with no trace!).

And yes, I know this would probably loose a legal argument in court. Just as in the same way, a croquette player could be convicted of "excavating" and "damaging the vegetation" if he sticks those probe loop things in the ground! But does that EVER really happen? So sometimes we gotta apply a little common sense, in addition to looking at the letter of the law. This is not to say that hunting nice green manicured curb strips in front of occupied homes is an advisable thing. It's only to comment on the automatic application of "excavations" (which to me, means "damage") & to "metal detecting". If you really think detecting = damage, then I still can't figure out where anyone metal detects! Because NO city clerk or cop would EVER give permission to: "sure, help yourself, go damage the park!"

Blurr, I would agree that persons who are sneaking around around, leaving messes, being a nuisance, yes: they will hurt the cause of md'ing. But don't forget, an aweful lot of places get "clarified out of existence" to md'ing, because skittish people think they need to ask permission (of places where it's never been dis-allowed, and that frankly probably never gave the matter thought before), and get "no's" where none existed before. In that case, who's doing the hobby a dis-service? Who's getting "laws created"?

I'm a little disappointed with this thread. I have been yelled at and insulted from people who think they own the whole world while doing something I have a right to do and find all these "Detectorist's" on this forum who might end up being one of those crazies yelling at me!
I am not going to plead my case with any of you! I will detect whether you "do-gooders" like or not!

The small amount of Indian blood in me curdles from seeing everyone so bloody possessive over every little piece of land. I love and respect the land. Humans sit and squabble about what you can and can't do with something that belongs to all life, not just them.

I WISH I WAS A BUFFALO, FREE ROAMING ACROSS THE LAND, RUNNING RIGHT ACROSS YOUR BOULEVARD, LEAVING HOOF MARKS EVERYWHERE!

The pioneers who settled these lands never asked for permission. I will never knock door to door to ask to search city property. Think I'm a jerk? Well, I have been maintaining my boulevard for 10 years including clearing snow for something that I or anyone I invite over will never park by! Everyday people who don't even live on my street greedily gobble up the parking spots and I maintain my strip of city property for strangers.

I don't know what's the matter with some of you. If I saw another detectorist searching in front of my house, I would go out and welcome them. They are one of me. I wonder who some of you are! Detectorists? :icon_scratch:
I'm outta here!!!!!

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montauk3 said:

Any one who is against MDing and has read this thread has got you right where they want you.Bitching amongst yourselves.I've got nothing to say here but sorry Ray.

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
jog said:
Montauk3 said:

Any one who is against MDing and has read this thread has got you right where they want you.Bitching amongst yourselves.I've got nothing to say here but sorry Ray.
I sure hope that after all this bickering that we are deciding. WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO DEFEND THIS HOBBY

lambretta

Aug 21, 2003
southern maine
And this is why I love headphones. "what?"......

"what?".......

beep beep ......"what?"

"I'm being this rectal? That doesn't even make any sense."

"Sharon's department? You must have me confused with someone else, I don't know a Sharon."

This would amuse me very much.

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
I have been yelled at and insulted from people who think they own the whole world while doing something I have a right to do and find all these "Detectorist's" on this forum who might end up being one of those crazies yelling at me!

The binary thinking in this forum is ridiculous. The world is not black and white. A crazy person yelling at you to stop detecting in a public park that you have permission to detect in is NOT the same thing as a local property owner yelling at you to get off of his neighbor's property which you do NOT have permission to detect.

YOU don't own the world any more than THEY do! The fact that many detectorists find the OP's behavior offensive should tell you something very important about your beliefs. And that is, that not all of us agree with them. And that should give you cause to stop and reconsider why that is.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
jb7487, you say the property owner was yelling for the md'r to ".......get off of his neighbor's property ..... " I thought the parking strip was city property, not "the neighbor's" property? Now that's not to say it's a good idea, but I just want to correct your mis-statement, which slants the discussion.

jb7487 said:
I have been yelled at and insulted from people who think they own the whole world while doing something I have a right to do and find all these "Detectorist's" on this forum who might end up being one of those crazies yelling at me!

The binary thinking in this forum is ridiculous. The world is not black and white. A crazy person yelling at you to stop detecting in a public park that you have permission to detect in is NOT the same thing as a local property owner yelling at you to get off of his neighbor's property which you do NOT have permission to detect.

YOU don't own the world any more than THEY do! The fact that many detectorists find the OP's behavior offensive should tell you something very important about your beliefs. And that is, that not all of us agree with them. And that should give you cause to stop and reconsider why that is.

They are called boulevards out here and are 100% City property. Every cop that has been called to check up on me for searching these city strips of land from some lunatic that verbally abuses me, has wished me luck and never asks me to leave. What you people are missing here is that these miserable lunatics are wasting the taxpayers money and preventing the police from catching REAL CRIMINALS because they call the cops for every little thing that bothers them.
I don't need permission for city property and I most certainly don't need permission from any of you!
I am not interested in getting involved with a community of divided detectorist's. If I was to add my stance, I would say that I am in total agreement with Tom and believe that the more people asking politicians and officials for permission to search something no one ever questioned, are the people that are RUINING it for the rest of us. I think people should re-evaluate what they consider as "promoting" this hobby. The title of this thread is exactly what it is. I met a Jerk today. There are a lot of jerks out there and I have no problem standing up to them. My family has worked for the city for 30 years and you should see how many jerks come out and yell at city workers or complain about everything. These people make the city employees have a bad day and sometimes prevent them from doing their jobs. Those jerks are the enemies to our hobby and now I see that some detectorist's are on the enemies side.
Threads like this and others where people are preaching that we should return every ring and hand our finds over to the police; telling us to ask for permission for places we already have a RIGHT to search and brown nose the Archies who will never accept what we do, is TURNING ME OFF FROM THIS FORUM!
Let's chill everyone and enjoy some detecting. O.K.?
Dave.

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
I don't need permission for city property and I most certainly don't need permission from any of you!

Try detecting in the mayor's office and see how far you get. The "I pay taxes so I'm entitled to do whatever I want to on city property" attitude is not only getting tiring, it's just plain wrong!

Threads like this and others where people are preaching that we should return every ring and hand our finds over to the police; telling us to ask for permission for places we already have a RIGHT to search and brown nose the Archies who will never accept what we do, is TURNING ME OFF FROM THIS FORUM!

For the record, detectorists with no respect for other's property and who make us all look bad are turning others off from this forum too! You have no "right" to search anywhere but your own yard. Any other "rights" to hunt that you assume you have are non-existent. Just what/who gives you the right to hunt any city property you choose? Isn't it clear by the multitudes of cities enacting legislation to ban detecting that your rights are completely controlled by the city and can be revoked at any time? Therefore, you have no inherrent right to hunt city property. And just because the police fail to do something about it doesn't mean that you aren't breaking the law. That's been said many times before here.

I'm done with this topic now. It is clear that we have many hard headed individuals on both sides of the fence. Myself included.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions