Metal Detectiing TN. cave / Anybody done this?

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got a question folks..... I was looking around Wal-Mart the other day and saw GoPro accessories. While I don't have a Gopro camera the accessories REALLY got me to thinking. My buddy Jordan took a video one day of use diving into the cave. The camera was mounted on a band around his head. This is what I'm thinking now after seeing some options. Now I have to admit I am NOT tech savvy but I think this is true.

QUESTION: Is it relatively easy to get a GoPro camera and mount it on a stick while hooked up to another hand held screen to view in real time while the camera is still recording everything? Again, I admit I'm challenged in this arena. If I could I could see behind some of these mounds and see what's in the tunnels behind them also. Also I could use it to see over many of the mud walls present. If ANYONE has some suggestions PLEASE let me know. I want to buy whatever I need and hit this project again. All items will HAVE TO BE WATERPROOF!!!! Thanks for any help.... Brad

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can view what my go pro is seeing in real time from some distance away on my iPad
I can control it to record, stop etc.
it works in a similar way to a camera on a drone, of which most are viewed thru iPads and smart phones as they fly.

So yes, you can mount to a stick, RC car etc you just need a iPad / smartphone

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can view what my go pro is seeing in real time from some distance away on my iPad
I can control it to record, stop etc.
it works in a similar way to a camera on a drone, of which most are viewed thru iPads and smart phones as they fly.

So yes, you can mount to a stick, RC car etc you just need a iPad / smartphone

Well I don't have a smartphone nor an iPad. But I will purchase whatever I need to view, probe and investigate these "hidden" areas. I just came into some money and really now want to look further with the simple products I can purchase easily. I guess I'll have to get an Ipad or smartphone. Won't I need a direct wired connection to any of these products to view because I'm underground?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I don't have a smartphone nor an iPad. But I will purchase whatever I need to view, probe and investigate these "hidden" areas. I just came into some money and really now want to look further with the simple products I can purchase easily. I guess I'll have to get an Ipad or smartphone. Won't I need a direct wired connection to any of these products to view because I'm underground?

A smart phone/iPad will make a wireless network connection with a go-pro if you have the correct model.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks BVI for the links.... I'm definitely getting me one of those and some items to go with it. Especially a telegraphing pole and one I can "bend" into a curve also. As I said I am NOT a tech person WHAT SO EVER. But having this camera on a special pole and being able to watch in real time would be GREAT to have to see behind some of these mounds and over the mud walls also.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Limitool, I'd suggest you contact a real live cave explorer here at an NSS grotto. In the past I've been a member and can tell you an experienced caver would be a big help. Local Grottos

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Limitool, I'd suggest you contact a real live cave explorer here at an NSS grotto. In the past I've been a member and can tell you an experienced caver would be a big help. Local Grottos

Hello hvacker.... I have no doubt many, many people know more about caves than I do. That doesn't take much. But I've been in this cave many times and have dove way back within it many times. I have taken a lot of photos (posted) also asking for advise and help. I did contact the closest Grotto and some other folks. It was in Nashville. 3 people came out and we looked around. They said this was an undocumented cave and in today's world rare. Last I ever heard from them. There are many "holes", tunnels and things to look and explore within. And doing it with a GoPro in real time would really help. I don't know if you've read this large thread or reviewed all the photos posted but I have asked for help many times. I am now going to purchase a good GoPro, accessories, and try again. What I don't want to do is disturb, harm or destroy these mud mounds within this cave. I'm still trying to figure how they got there or why they were built. Some folks have said "there" natural.... I guess you'd have to see them to understand why I think there're not. (See my avatar for 2 of them)

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get you a go pro and "I- device, long curved stick, a few rounds of practice, and let the adventures begin!
Oh, and the beer, don't forget the brew!

It was a long winter! And BVI can't have all the headlines!

Psssst- Brad if you find something with fangs...leave it there, no new pets!

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other

I was thinking as you seem to be enjoying your cave so much you might want to see some others.
Tennesee, Kentucky, Mo are one big cave. When I was active caver that's where we usually go.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Psssst- Brad if you find something with fangs...leave it there, no new pets!

You got that statement correct lady!!!! It's NOT a good environment to make "new friends". But in truth I really only think about "fangs" in the Springtime. Today I have to finish getting this other home ready for its bank appraisal and finish my new shop and move all the equipment. But I'm now all geeked up again over this new option of probing.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was thinking as you seem to be enjoying your cave so much you might want to see some others.
Tennesee, Kentucky, Mo are one big cave. When I was active caver that's where we usually go.

Been there... done that. It is exciting to see the size of some of those caves. But as you probably know or understand.... it is VERY EXCITING to actually enter or probe a new area or hole within an unexplored cave.

What's you best guess on why the mud mounds shown in my avatar are there? 2nd one is in the background and like the large one closer it's right up against the cave floor and the ceiling. Very tight area.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
During the Civil War caves were important in mining guano for gun powder. The guano was leached and saltpeter was obtained. The three ingredients, sulfur, charcoal, saltpeter. Not sure if the mud mounds had to be piled up to get to the guano. Is there any bats there? I know bats if disturbed enough will leave or so I was told.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
During the Civil War caves were important in mining guano for gun powder. The guano was leached and saltpeter was obtained. The three ingredients, sulfur, charcoal, saltpeter (potassium nitrate) Not sure if the mud mounds had to be piled up to get to the guano. Is there any bats there? I know bats if disturbed enough will leave or so I was told.

bwirth1999

Jun 23, 2007
Belvidere, IL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a question folks..... I was looking around Wal-Mart the other day and saw GoPro accessories. While I don't have a Gopro camera the accessories REALLY got me to thinking. My buddy Jordan took a video one day of use diving into the cave. The camera was mounted on a band around his head. This is what I'm thinking now after seeing some options. Now I have to admit I am NOT tech savvy but I think this is true.

QUESTION: Is it relatively easy to get a GoPro camera and mount it on a stick while hooked up to another hand held screen to view in real time while the camera is still recording everything? Again, I admit I'm challenged in this arena. If I could I could see behind some of these mounds and see what's in the tunnels behind them also. Also I could use it to see over many of the mud walls present. If ANYONE has some suggestions PLEASE let me know. I want to buy whatever I need and hit this project again. All items will HAVE TO BE WATERPROOF!!!! Thanks for any help.... Brad

Why risk a $200 to $500 dollar camera? Just get yourself a small security camera which is sensitive to IR. A small video transmitter and an IR light or two.. or 10... And use that.. Much smaller, lighter and cheaper. You can find alot of info on this kind of set up by looking at FPV drone racing set ups. They use these tiny security cameras for first person racing, and many are water resistant if not water proof.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
During the Civil War caves were important in mining guano for gun powder. The guano was leached and saltpeter was obtained. The three ingredients, sulfur, charcoal, saltpeter (potassium nitrate) Not sure if the mud mounds had to be piled up to get to the guano. Is there any bats there? I know bats if disturbed enough will leave or so I was told.

Hey buddy.... When I "discovered" the cave in 94' and entered there were very few bats present. Some, some being 4-8 near the entrance. Every time I've gone back it has not changed. Only when I was WAY BACK WITHIN THE CAVE (1.5 hrs.) did I see another bat. But by then after crawling in the present creek water within the cave hypothermia was setting in and the environment had shrunk to the size of a 55 gallon drum.

I had a professor from UT tell me those mounds were sediment casks from saltpeter mining. And very well preserved in fact. This comment / analyst is just so hard to believe because they are SO HARD TO APPROACH. The top of any leach forms would not have left any room to fill even now. They would have been so close to the ceiling even now (inches). And this doesn't explain why some mounds are so far back within the cave....? It's SO HARD NOW to reach with flashlights crawling through the water with your head barely above water. Even without the water present you'd gain 6-8 inches of space total today. Try that with torches today or then..... it wouldn't have happened. But the mounds way back are still present and so hard to approach.....?

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why risk a $200 to $500 dollar camera? Just get yourself a small security camera which is sensitive to IR. A small video transmitter and an IR light or two.. or 10... And use that.. Much smaller, lighter and cheaper. You can find alot of info on this kind of set up by looking at FPV drone racing set ups. They use these tiny security cameras for first person racing, and many are water resistant if not water proof.

Explain in laymen terms.... I'm not tech savvy. Show me possibly what you mean please.... Thanks, Brad

bwirth1999

Jun 23, 2007
Belvidere, IL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, there are many versions and options out there. I will show one which is pretty simple and allows for a somewhat wireless set up. fpv camera system.jpg .... If you dont need a wireless set up for transmitting and receiving video just get rid of the antenna and run straight wires to which ever video receiver you have. The easiest would be to use wireless with a pair of these. 1759-1.jpg This would end up being the most expensive part $200 to $600, but you dont need the expensive ones for your purposes, and they are NOT water proof, but precautions can be taken to ensure travel to and from your viewing location could keep them safe. Also there are some versions on these goggles which have a built in DVR which uses a micro SD card.

The nice thing with this set up is it is compact and lightweight. Uses small LIPO batteries which are also lightweight and small. You would need a camera which has sensitivity to Infra Red light, as these do well in the dark with minimal lighting. Adding an Infra Red flash light to your arsenal would go a long way in assisting with being able to see where you are. You can get one from Amazon for around $10 to $20 bucks.

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Or you could buy a completely waterproof ( to 131 feet), completely wireless, self contained battery, small and lightweight Go-Pro for $300 and use your smartphone and your done. Then you have a nice toy to play with afterwards.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread