Metal Detectiing TN. cave / Anybody done this?

bwirth1999

Jun 23, 2007
Belvidere, IL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or you could buy a completely waterproof ( to 131 feet), completely wireless, self contained battery, small and lightweight Go-Pro for $300 and use your smartphone and your done. Then you have a nice toy to play with afterwards.

why risk losing a 300 dollar camera, when you can only risk around 150 at most, and could be even less if you run longer wires down the pole.?? The whole point of this is he wants to attach a camera to a pole and send it in to ares which are inaccessible, and likely to knock the camera free. Also go pro as far as I know aren't IR sensitive. Plus my camera idea is far lighter and compact than a go pro.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Got a question folks..... I was looking around Wal-Mart the other day and saw GoPro accessories. While I don't have a Gopro camera the accessories REALLY got me to thinking. My buddy Jordan took a video one day of use diving into the cave. The camera was mounted on a band around his head. This is what I'm thinking now after seeing some options. Now I have to admit I am NOT tech savvy but I think this is true.

QUESTION: Is it relatively easy to get a GoPro camera and mount it on a stick while hooked up to another hand held screen to view in real time while the camera is still recording everything? Again, I admit I'm challenged in this arena. If I could I could see behind some of these mounds and see what's in the tunnels behind them also. Also I could use it to see over many of the mud walls present. If ANYONE has some suggestions PLEASE let me know. I want to buy whatever I need and hit this project again. All items will HAVE TO BE WATERPROOF!!!! Thanks for any help.... Brad

I have a telescoping fish pole I would use. If top section was too weak it could be tucked into a lower section and that lower section be used to secure camera.
A back up tether/cordage run to camera in case I managed to unseat the camera.
I'm not promoting the linked site, just showing some possibilities.
Building or buying a waterproof case would be required. Containers could be modified, but a clear lens window would be a priority.

https://www.protectiondepot.com/Spy-Mini-Covert-Cameras.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whatever camera I decide to use it will definitely be attached securely to any "pole". Tie-down straps and any other ideas I can come up with included. This setup will DEFINETELY have to be 100% water proof because of the environment I will put it within. While the initial probe's won't be underwater I have some later that DEFINETELY will be. But all this equipment will have to travel through a very wet environment and be subject to water all over it.

I truly wish I was more up on the tech issues within this endeavor. But I promise..... when the right setup is put into use it will open up a whole new world within this cave.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
No rush. Take it safe.
The cave has guarded it's secrets a long time.
What's a few years time to a cave? Just a blip.

paxdruidia

Greenie
Jul 21, 2015
Michiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brad!
Any updates? Work is finally starting to slow down enough to think about life outside of here.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad!
Any updates? Work is finally starting to slow down enough to think about life outside of here.

Good day sir: Outside of doing a LOT of thinking about it more and more again... no. I've been slowly working on my new wood shop building mostly. But here's what I've been thinking about a lot. While a GoPro would be fun to utilize back there I'm going to buy an endoscope. I believe this tool would easily be able to see behind the mud mounds and over some of these mud walls. I think the endoscope would be easier to use than a GoPro attached to a stick. Also I could watch/move/record everything in real time upon the monitor. This spring I'm building a sifter but will need help getting it back there.

Nobody can or has told me yet what the symbols are upon the etched mound yet. I'd still like to know. And I'd still like to know how those so hard to reach mounds way back got so squared up also. And I'd like to know what's behind those mounds way back there also. And if I had a long ended endoscope I could reach way back and see. But I'll need someone as crazy as me to do this.

But rest assured when I do go back with the sifter and the scope I'll post something whether it's good or bad. PM, email me or call whenever you'd like if you'd like to discuss..... Brad

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I was there, cause I'm as crazy....especially after winter!
Endoscope should be great! Water proof, etc. Great idea!
Those squared mounds are man made for sure, diamemtions inside the cave may have changed over time, that would account for why it's in such a tight area.
I'm dissapointed in acideama for not stepping up, cause I think you have discovered something important and interesting!

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish I was there, cause I'm as crazy....especially after winter!
Endoscope should be great! Water proof, etc. Great idea!
Those squared mounds are man made for sure, diamemtions inside the cave may have changed over time, that would account for why it's in such a tight area.
I'm dissapointed in acideama for not stepping up, cause I think you have discovered something important and interesting!

Yea I think so also Karen.... If I just spend 2-3 days back there sifting with someone I'm sure we'd find some interesting items. And maybe it's my fault for not posting good enough pics for "experts" to view... :dontknow: I'm not done at all.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might see some fossils or bones. Have seen Sabre tooth tiger and cave bear. The bones may be chalky and not fossilized so be very very gentle . You can not really sift mud. Winter is the best time to cave though. Temps are always constant in caves. Tennessee has around 10,000 caves. Here is Mystery cave. We used to rappel it on weekends and climb back up our ropes. Its a 291' pit. Built a dam at the top to hold back the water and would enter through an old storm drain. Not sure but think they closed all access to this? Underground pits will hold the ancient treasures. Also a good water flow will cut a deep cave. Be safe in your adventures!

6a00e551a5897b883300e55372d0798833-800wi.jpg

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are a LOT of fossils in the stream bed within the cave. They're still attached to the rock the water runs over and easily seen. In fact there were a LOT of fossils lying on the ground just a few yards outside the cave. One was a huge hip bone of something. Then came the flood here in 2010 and a large landslide occurred right over the top of the cave entrance. While it didn't block off the entrance it did move tons of earth and a couple of large oak trees directly in the waters path running down the ridge below the entrance. The slide covered up obvious spots where ancient man and possibly Indians used to wash food and sit outside. Mother nature is slowly washing away this large debris field but she's taking her time.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While I haven't lost interest in this project I am perplexed at not being closer to figuring out exactly what I've found. And I haven't sifted up near the entrance yet either... Need help.

At a minimum does ANYBODY know what this (2nd pic) small symbol might mean. It's on the lower left side of the mound by the larger wavy symbol (1st pic)?

Attachments

• Left Side 2 Symbols.JPG
    Left Side 2 Symbols.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 244
  • Closeup 2.JPG
    Closeup 2.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 244
OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE:

Out of the blue I get an email TODAY from somebody who has access to bore scopes (their job). NOT only that but they have cave experience also and is very interested in helping. Maybe, just maybe we'll get some new pics behind these mounds and into the holes around the front of this cave. Without a doubt we'll photo a LOT of cave critters and maybe a lot more. Whatever I/WE find I promise I'll post when available.

I can't believe this happened today right after I posted for the first time in a long time concerning this. Now I'm all geeked up again!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! This should be very interesting and exciting! :)

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might see some fossils or bones. Have seen Sabre tooth tiger and cave bear. The bones may be chalky and not fossilized so be very very gentle . You can not really sift mud. Winter is the best time to cave though. Temps are always constant in caves. Tennessee has around 10,000 caves. Here is Mystery cave. We used to rappel it on weekends and climb back up our ropes. Its a 291' pit. Built a dam at the top to hold back the water and would enter through an old storm drain. Not sure but think they closed all access to this? Underground pits will hold the ancient treasures. Also a good water flow will cut a deep cave. Be safe in your adventures!

View attachment 1265639
==========================================
MYSTERY CAVE !!!
Been there,,, done that with some guys n gals from RASS.
Also did a 2 day bounce in ELLISONS too.
Ahhh yes,,, the days when I could do that stuff.
THANKS for making me remember those times.
As ALWAYS Limitool,,,Take nothing but photographs and leave nothing but footprints.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
==========================================
MYSTERY CAVE !!!
Been there,,, done that with some guys n gals from RASS.
Also did a 2 day bounce in ELLISONS too.
Ahhh yes,,, the days when I could do that stuff.
THANKS for making me remember those times.
As ALWAYS Limitool,,,Take nothing but photographs and leave nothing but footprints.

That's all I've done. We want to wait for it to get hot out so when we come out entirely drenched we'll warm back up quickly.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see you are still at it man! Can't wait to see what you find back there!

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to see you are still at it man! Can't wait to see what you find back there!

Well I haven't had an email or call back from the person since April 8th from the bore-scope place in Clarksville, TN. .... :dontknow:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hows the stability of the hillside now days? I know you said it had some slides in the past.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread