Metal Detecting as a Public Service - Exhibit A

lumbergh

Jul 22, 2013
Wake County (Raleigh Area), North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE PRO, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Fisher Metal Sand Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

For anyone who says we are just "treasure hunters" out to steal stuff that other people left behind, I present:

Exhibit A: Large knife found in 2 inches of sand at the beach, with blade stuck open.

Knife.png

I found this yesterday on Topsail Island Beach in North Carolina (one of the few beaches in NC where it's "legal" to metal detect), along with about 25 bottle caps and 12 tent stakes (which could also be dangerous given the right angle and a beach jogger's foot). Also found exactly one cent in coins.

Anyway, thought I would share. I will use this example anytime someone gives me a hard time...

Also, one tidbit I learned - the part of the beach I was hunting was not near a public access area, which means the people there were coming from private homes (and thus unlikely to have any change in their pockets to drop). As a result, I found no coins, nor that illustrious horde of pirate's treasure that should have been there. ???

- Bill

Last edited:
Upvote 3

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill,

Great find, and it's a good thing you got that picked up. MD'ers clean up a lot more than people realize. We are always picking up sharp objects, glass, nails and so on. It's great you caught this.

Side note, it's not a switchblade. A switchblade has a spring loaded blade, this is an ordinary folding pocket knife. Still dangerous when left open.

I can't see any marks, but at the base of the blade are usually makers marks. Some knifes you find can be very valuable.

John_Deere

Mar 7, 2013
Fredericksburg
Detector(s) used
Personal: Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Family: White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be glad to take those caps off your hands!

Oh, and nice knife! Pity that someone left it there on the beach, but I don't feel bad for them since they left it in a dangerous position. Anyways, nice find! Congrats and HH!

stewielouie

May 14, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a Buck, but its definately NOT a switchblade.

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying real hard to imagine damage done to sand with a metal detector. NOPE. Nothing. Hmm.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying real hard to imagine damage done to sand with a metal detector. NOPE. Nothing. Hmm.

That's easy. Ya see, the magnetic waves that are forced into the sand dislodges part of it's gravity and when a hurricane comes up, the sand gets swept into the ocean much easier. :dontknow:

Good job on the cleanup , Lumbergh!!

HH!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Glad you brought this topic up! :icon_thumright: I've found two rigidly open knives under beach sand, very sharp. Plus frequent large rusty nails, broken glass, a few bullets, etc. One of the things that burns me the most is recently smashed booze bottles lying scattered in jagged sharpness where kids love to run barefoot and dig in the sand! Booze hounds who love to smash their bottles should only be sold booze in plastic unbreakable baby bottles! grrrr. About 50 miles north of us, used drug needles are often tossed on the beach, but luckily that scourge hasn't hit our beaches yet. If people don't respect themselves or other adults, they should at least respect & protect the kids!

On a lighter note, the reason you didn't dig the pirate's treasure today is because my cousin dug it yesterday, lol. Unfortunately, though, just chocolate patties wrapped in foil, no real gold Spanish coins this time.
:tongue3: Andi

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions