Metal detecting Belize........................

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Planning a trip to Belize. Of course I want to take a metal detector, but probably only my Vibra-Tector 730 Pinpointer. I've :BangHead: tried to :BangHead: find out whether metal detecting is allowed in Belize. Everything I've researched about it gives me this conclusion. 50% sure no problem, 50% say don't do it unless you like jail.

I'm just going to use it, while snorkeling and scuba diving. I could take the ATpro, but don't want the risk having it confiscated for some silly reason at the airport.

Does anyone have solid laws on this matter. Maybe a link to antiquities law's for belize. Or anyone with real world experience Mding there within the last couple of years.

Thanks!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... Everything I've researched about it gives me this conclusion. 50% sure no problem, 50% say don't do it unless you like jail....

Digger 460: Re.: the "no" and "jail", etc... stuff: SO TOO can you find people to say such things about md'ing various spots in the USA too. Heck, there's people on forums who say you can't go to a park sandbox without permission "lest you be arrested". And if you asked enough purist archies and skittish md'rs, I'm sure they can maybe cite dire sounding laws (cultural heritage, etc...) that seem to say that .

But lo & behold you find md'rs in those exact countries who .... so long as they're using common sense, are having no problems. Eg.: avoid *obvious historic sensitive monuments*, etc... And bear in mind, that any laws you might find, were written in terms of antiquities (raiding the pyramids, shipwreck salvor stuff, exporting gold bars through the border, etc...) but were never (or in practical application don't) apply to fumble fingers beach modern stuff.

Also bear in mind that even if you DID find something that seemed far-reaching (to apply to all public land), then that would logically not apply to private land. Eg.; farmer's land with permission is outside the scope of public land. Same as 99% of all British hunters who stick to private row crop land.

I faced the same questions when planning a trip to France and Italy (where I have in-laws through my sister): If you google it, sure, you will find someone saying something dire. But there are hobbyists there. I corresponded with one of them for a bit, who told me that .... quite frankly .... they're so far back in the woods, that no ones around to "care", to begin with. So too would I apply the same logic to any where else I travelled.

OP
OP
digger460

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Digger 460: Re.: the "no" and "jail", etc... stuff: SO TOO can you find people to say such things about md'ing various spots in the USA too. Heck, there's people on forums who say you can't go to a park sandbox without permission "lest you be arrested". And if you asked enough purist archies and skittish md'rs, I'm sure they can maybe cite dire sounding laws (cultural heritage, etc...) that seem to say that .

But lo & behold you find md'rs in those exact countries who .... so long as they're using common sense, are having no problems. Eg.: avoid *obvious historic sensitive monuments*, etc... And bear in mind, that any laws you might find, were written in terms of antiquities (raiding the pyramids, shipwreck salvor stuff, exporting gold bars through the border, etc...) but were never (or in practical application don't) apply to fumble fingers beach modern stuff.

Also bear in mind that even if you DID find something that seemed far-reaching (to apply to all public land), then that would logically not apply to private land. Eg.; farmer's land with permission is outside the scope of public land. Same as 99% of all British hunters who stick to private row crop land.

I faced the same questions when planning a trip to France and Italy (where I have in-laws through my sister): If you google it, sure, you will find someone saying something dire. But there are hobbyists there. I corresponded with one of them for a bit, who told me that .... quite frankly .... they're so far back in the woods, that no ones around to "care", to begin with. So too would I apply the same logic to any where else I travelled.

Thanks Tom! I had read on one site, that anything found more then 50 yrs. old, is property of Belize. Do I believe it, No!

Wasn't going to do any inland detecting. I figured there would be laws against it, and I'm only taking my handheld detector.

I should probably ask the host of the resort where were staying at, whether people metal detect the beach.

Pretty sad that Metal Dectecterists are being dumped on with all the "we don't want you to do that laws". I just don't understand how you can't easily find the official black and white, on whether you can or can't. Pretty simple, but I dunno the politics behind it.

Makes more sense too leave it in the ground to rot away, right?

Thanks for the input!!:thumbsup:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
..... anything found more then 50 yrs. old, is property of Belize. ....

So too would a technical reading of state of CA park's dept. verbage. But you can hunt state beaches here till you're blue in the face. And (gasp) find 1964 memorial penny, and no one cares. The quickest way to bring an end to that , is to seek clarification on the subject from bored state archies. Then yes: a specific rule would be invented to "address your pressing issue". Moral of the story ? Don't ask silly questions . Doh! :)

...... I just don't understand how you can't easily find the official black and white, on whether you can or can't. ....

Actually digger, you DON'T want it "black and white". You DON'T want "express allowances" or clear forbiddances. Eg.: rules/laws that said "metal detecting allowed here" . Or "not allowed there". Much better that it is silent on the issue (with only grey catch all vague stuff). If I don't see something specific that says "no md'ing", then presto: It's not disallowed. The LAST thing you want to do is lament that "it's not clear enough", and have pencil pushers answer you with express specific "no's".

mightymo

Mar 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you metal detect in Belize? Thinking of going there in November 2017. I would hunt the water.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... I would hunt the water.

I authorize it. If anyone asks, just tell them you lost your ring there the previous week, and that Tom_in_CA authorized it. PS: I get 30% of your goodies !

mightymo

Mar 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were you able to metal detect in Belize. Any good finds? I plan on a trip next winter and expect to hunt the water and beaches.

trescocos

Tenderfoot
Jun 21, 2017
Grants Pass Oregon ex-Belize
Detector(s) used
Whites Garrets
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi. I lived in belize for 23 years. treasure hunting was my thing. However the worst places to detect are the beaches due to too much garbage and storms but there really werent any wrecks that wound up by the beaches anyhow. The good stuff is on the reefs but belize is all eco oriented now so you cant exactly get on a diveboat with your bag of chisels, mallet and a crow bar!
Its not easy down there! Stash your detector in your divebag. If customs gives you s**t tell em its for a search and rescue certification course training. If they confiscate it ask and get the slip with the serial no and they will give it back to you when you leave the country.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread