Metal Detecting, Found Bottle?

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Went out to the same farm Don and I have been hunting recently. They finally harvested the bean fields around the house. This is really our first time to do a hunt like this. We usually hunt just the yard area, but the owners said they found pottery shards in the fields after plowing. So we thought what the heck, let's go out there and see what we could find.

Started out fairly slow with just a few snap buttons and the usual trash metal targets. After about an hour Don got a crusty wheatie that had been fried from the pesticides and chemicals from the field. It looked like a 1950 something :icon_scratch:.

Then after a break and a change of batteries in the Pro6000 I told Don to hunt on the west side of the home in the field. For some reason I was getting the "vibe" :D and thought we would get something there. Well, I was right. His first target was a 1909 O Barber Dime. Pretty toasted as well. Then I got a Whats it thing that says"Lift at the Dot." Not sure what that was. Then I got a decent penny type signal that was fairly deep. Dug a decent sized hole but the target was deeper. Shoved the pinpointer all the way down into the soft dirt and barely picked it up. Took a couple more shovel fulls of dirt and finally hit something but it was glass. Then I really got careful with the shovel. I did find what was was sounding off, a large circular piece of steel about a foot in diameter. After getting that out of the ground I noticed more glass and then I found what appeared to be an intact bottle. Carefully digging the bottle out, I discovered a Dr. Kilmers bottle. The thing was about a foot and a half deep. Also found a smaller bottle that is very thick. Plus shards of china. If anyone knows anything about the china(date). Please let me know. The Kilmer bottle dates to 1906 I guess. After the Indiana Jones style dig I went on to find a buckle patented Dec. of 1879. Then the sun went down >:( We shall return. That was our first bottle find and I have to say that was nearly better than finding an old coin.......nearly :laughing9:. Be safe out there....jgas

Attachments

• Bean 1.JPG
    Bean 1.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 5,162
  • Bean 2.JPG
    Bean 2.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 5,030
  • Bean 3.JPG
    Bean 3.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 5,033
  • Bean 4.JPG
    Bean 4.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 5,059
  • Bean 5.JPG
    Bean 5.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 4,976
  • Bean 6.JPG
    Bean 6.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 4,949
  • Bean 7.JPG
    Bean 7.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 4,939
  • Bean 8.JPG
    Bean 8.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 4,941
  • Bean 9.JPG
    Bean 9.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 4,925
  • Bean 10.JPG
    Bean 10.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 4,925
  • Bean 11.JPG
    Bean 11.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 4,898
  • Bean 12.JPG
    Bean 12.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 4,919
Upvote 1

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coming from a Plowed field, I'd say that's a FANTASTIC save!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
That's a great bottle man. Better than a common old coin anyday.

HH Jer

Missouri_John

Nov 27, 2006
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
I've found 2 of those Dr. Kilmer's bottles in the last 2 weeks at this house site i've found alot of glass and marbles at. It looks like you have the one labeled "Remedy" in instead of the older "Cure".......which dates it after 1906.

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Thanks everyone for all the kind words. That was a strange find in a plowed field. But it was deep. Thanks for the replies and the sites. ;D jgas

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
jgas said:
Thanks everyone for all the kind words. That was a strange find in a plowed field. But it was deep. Thanks for the replies and the sites. ;D jgas

I didn't read the whole thread, so it may have been said...The Kilmers bottles that are rare and worth more are the big ones that have the kidney and heart shapes in the side...just like the one you have.

dumpdigger

Nov 30, 2008
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XLT, Vaquero & Fisher 1280
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of all the bottles that I have dug, Dr. Kilmers are my favorite. Gooooood Find

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Creeper, I agree it's a common bottle but it's a very beautiful and old bottle and looks good on the banner. I don't know what it takes to make banner but I don't question the powers to be. There have been many finds posted in the past that I thought should have made banner and didn't. This is an accomplishment we all wish to achieve. Be happy for jgas that he made the banner. You will be there one day and I will be just as happy for you. :thumbsup:

Your friend
Randy

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
I've said it once and I'll say it again. Awesome bottle jgas. Congrats on making banner. :thumbsup:

Randy

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
When I first saw this post I had a feeling it would make the banner, and although I dont know much about bottles I think its a dandy and deserves its place up top.
Marty

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats right. Good post JgAS. It looks nice up on the banner. Congratulations. to you. Good deep dig. No way I would whine over that find :thumbsup:
TnMountains

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner? Sure why not? The manor and location of the find plus great story and pics make it a great recovery and really captures the spirit of treasure hunting and of T-net. Is it a rare bottle no but it is mighty rare to find an intact beauty like that in a plowed field. Also sadly I have voted banner on a number of sweet finds that never made it but hey enough people voted this time so congrats on a banner find. Thats just my two large cents.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I agree it appears to be a common Kilmer bottle. I dont even think its the first one posted. I have several. The banner is not always about great finds. I always loved this swamp root cure bottle even though it has little value. I love all the old cure bottles and nice find. :icon_thumright:

ADDED: Excuse me I see its the later remedy. Maybe this is a rarer type. :dontknow: I hope someone explains. Still I love these Kilmers and it looks good up top. :icon_thumright:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rando said:
Congrats guy..

I seriously think you guys need to lighten up on the whole banner thing.

Doe it REALLY matter what it can be sold for?
REALLY?

Stop and think that that banner is there to show interesting examples of what we find, NOT a worth contest.

Well said. I agree 100%. Its not about the dollar value its about the find and story. A nice banner :hello2:
Thank you Rando.
Congratulations on making the banner. Looks great !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread