Metal Detecting, Found Bottle?

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Went out to the same farm Don and I have been hunting recently. They finally harvested the bean fields around the house. This is really our first time to do a hunt like this. We usually hunt just the yard area, but the owners said they found pottery shards in the fields after plowing. So we thought what the heck, let's go out there and see what we could find.

Started out fairly slow with just a few snap buttons and the usual trash metal targets. After about an hour Don got a crusty wheatie that had been fried from the pesticides and chemicals from the field. It looked like a 1950 something :icon_scratch:.

Then after a break and a change of batteries in the Pro6000 I told Don to hunt on the west side of the home in the field. For some reason I was getting the "vibe" :D and thought we would get something there. Well, I was right. His first target was a 1909 O Barber Dime. Pretty toasted as well. Then I got a Whats it thing that says"Lift at the Dot." Not sure what that was. Then I got a decent penny type signal that was fairly deep. Dug a decent sized hole but the target was deeper. Shoved the pinpointer all the way down into the soft dirt and barely picked it up. Took a couple more shovel fulls of dirt and finally hit something but it was glass. Then I really got careful with the shovel. I did find what was was sounding off, a large circular piece of steel about a foot in diameter. After getting that out of the ground I noticed more glass and then I found what appeared to be an intact bottle. Carefully digging the bottle out, I discovered a Dr. Kilmers bottle. The thing was about a foot and a half deep. Also found a smaller bottle that is very thick. Plus shards of china. If anyone knows anything about the china(date). Please let me know. The Kilmer bottle dates to 1906 I guess. After the Indiana Jones style dig I went on to find a buckle patented Dec. of 1879. Then the sun went down >:( We shall return. That was our first bottle find and I have to say that was nearly better than finding an old coin.......nearly :laughing9:. Be safe out there....jgas

Attachments

• Bean 1.JPG
    Bean 1.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 5,162
  • Bean 2.JPG
    Bean 2.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 5,030
  • Bean 3.JPG
    Bean 3.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 5,033
  • Bean 4.JPG
    Bean 4.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 5,059
  • Bean 5.JPG
    Bean 5.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 4,976
  • Bean 6.JPG
    Bean 6.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 4,949
  • Bean 9.JPG
    Bean 9.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 4,925
  • Bean 8.JPG
    Bean 8.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 4,941
  • Bean 7.JPG
    Bean 7.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 4,939
  • Bean 10.JPG
    Bean 10.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 4,925
  • Bean 11.JPG
    Bean 11.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 4,898
  • Bean 12.JPG
    Bean 12.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 4,919
Upvote 1

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
creeper71 said:
jgas said:
Hey Creeper. Thanks for the suggestions on cleaning. It came out pretty well as far as cleaning goes, but I will do the clothes hanger thing. As far as chips goes, there are none that I can see. There are bubbles as you suggested. A big one and several smaller ones from the "crude" making. This thing came out of the ground in primo condition. It was like it was burried like a coffin...I just breathed a sigh of relief when I got it out in one piece. How much do these things go for? Not that I am selling it as it is my first bottle. Thanks for the help...jgas
I can't seem to find one in your condition but cloudy (dirt film) on the side one is online for 45.00 You'll need to take your finger an light rub the whole bottle an top rim..some chips maybe to small to see...
can't seem to find your exact bottle online to get a price,but my bottle price guide only has them list for 6-15.00 the book doesn't go into bottle detail or have photos for me to be able to tell which varities they have prices for... by the way That crack no matter how superficial you think it is may have just made your bottle about worthless

for example friend of mine has a milk bottle that is worth 500.00 when he was cleaning the bottle it dinged it into another bottle an put a very small fish eye in to it...when he went to sell it was only worth 20-25 for a very small defect

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds!

HH

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
In 1994 I got to hit a city dump that was unearthed for a construction project, got many Kilmer's bottles all were "cure" bottles as the dump had been buried since a flood in 1894, almost 100 years to the day. Wish I hadn't sold them all but they weren't high-dollar bottles, just very cool.

Hee's a pic of one I got a couple weeks ago in a bottle washout at an old picnic grove, it is also a "cure" bottle instead of the later and more available "remedy" bottles. Nice dig!

Attachments

• Kilmercure.jpg
    Kilmercure.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 2,765
OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the reply Plebah. That was an unusual find. It was fairly far away from the home. I would say at least 75 feet, maybe 100 away from the rear of the house. Just unusual I thought. When you say the strata I take it that means the color change in the dirt? It did appear to be different. Maybe there is more there. I will have to go back and dig deeper. Thanks...jgas

southernbandit

Mar 21, 2003
Scottsboro Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Whites DXF
Hey
Excellent bottle!! :headbang:
The two little buckles you found look like late civil war bed roll buckles.
A little late as far as the patent date, but some kind of bed roll buckle. :icon_scratch:
Maybe there is some other goodies around there too.
Keep on diggen

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I believe I will go back and dig it out more as you suggest. Just not sure if it will be able to happen here this season as the ground is getting hard. But I will have to go back and place a stake where the spot is lest I lose the area where the original hole was dug is lost to plows. :tongue3: But worth a try for sure. Maybe I can do it on my next days off of work. I will surely keep you updated as to any finds. Take care. jgas

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Dang jgas...fantabulous find.

Tell ya what I have this Thursday and Friday offif ya need some digging help....it's suppose to be mid 30's on Thursday!

I'll share one of my fave sites in trade!
And do ya think one of the "rea dirty-1"boys dropped that gold coin in the red kettle?
Naw...., never mind.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
jgas said:
Thanks for the reply Plebah. That was an unusual find. It was fairly far away from the home. I would say at least 75 feet, maybe 100 away from the rear of the house. Just unusual I thought. When you say the strata I take it that means the color change in the dirt? It did appear to be different. Maybe there is more there. I will have to go back and dig deeper. Thanks...jgas
I didn't remember reading that you found this 75-100feet from rear of house.. that's about the right distance for a outhouse to be from the main house.with that said I'm pretty sure it is a privy..altho I think it is pretty shallow for one...

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Yea, I think I never mentioned how far away it was from the house. I am going back there and probing that area a bit. Although being in a bean field it may be hard to probe. What do you guys think? Thanks for the help. I am really a rookie at this sort of thing. I just "want" the first dig to produce if you know what I mean. Otherwise it could get old digging the entire bean field up. I know the homestead is mid 1800's. So it could work out very well.. I hope so.. :thumbsup: jgas

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Well, went back to the area to take a look. I was dreaming last night(nightmare really), about losing out on the chance to dig that hole deeper. I thought the farmer 1, would not let me, 2 already plowed it under for the season and I would not find the same spot, 3 the ground is frozen solid.....so on and so forth.....I had to go check it out. Drove out there and to my surprise I find the field is not plowed and the spot was still easy to find. The farmer met me at the door and said go for it whenever you want. In fact if you want to mark the spot I have a wheel measure and you can mark the spot cause he will not plow the field because it is too hard now. I thought to myself this has to pan out now. Right ???? He said he won't plant until April....so....come on out in March and dig her up...In fact see if you can find some other priveys if you like. So I measured the spot out via wheel GPS :tongue3: and put it down in my book for next years first dig! God I hope you are right Plehbah!!!! Iwould love to see you Dayton Diggers in person do one. It has got me psyched for sure...I will dig down a few feet to see what we have. Just for my future reference, once you get down lets say 4 feet, will the strata change again? What would I expect to see at that level if anything? Thanks for the help......the story will continue....... :thumbsup: jgas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions