Metal detecting has ruined my 46 year hobby

Jim DE

Aug 26, 2007
Newark, DE
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Surfmaster PI Pro
I have been an avid fly fisherman (specifically saltwater) for 46 years. I bought a DfX for something to do during off tide periods. Bad thing is now my trips to the beach I find my fly tackle never leaving the truck and either the DFX or a surfmaster pi pro in my hands instead. I still don't really understand my obsession with MD'ing but it has surely happened. Fact is I used to smerk at the people doing this while I was fly fishing. Now I be one ;)

Anybody else ruin a lifetime hobby taking up metal detecting? ;)

Upvote 0

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
I tend to jump from one to the other if not mix the two.Here in Ca I hunt the beach in the morning by noon it is packed and I'm pier fishing :P
But, if I had to give up one.Tackle box for sale :)
RD

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
I keep a log of every hunt do not even want to add total hunts till end of year...I went fishing >0 times this year...as well as a lot of zeros for other stuff...

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Wow! Lots of ex-fishermen here! Me too! Sold all my tackle but kept the aluminum box ( great for storing finds ).

Went out last year and bought some new stuff ( 1 rod and a handful of tackle ). Just in case someone wants me to go fishing with them.

Both hobbies involve the thrill of the chase, but in the case of detecting, there is no such thing as "catch and release",thank God.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
MEinWV said:
Wow! Lots of ex-fishermen here! Me too! Sold all my tackle but kept the aluminum box ( great for storing finds ).

Went out last year and bought some new stuff ( 1 rod and a handful of tackle ). Just in case someone wants me to go fishing with them.

Both hobbies involve the thrill of the chase, but in the case of detecting, there is no such thing as "catch and release",thank God.

Good point... :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread