Metal Detecting Hunt rituals?

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Just something to generate some discourse...

Wondering what rituals/OCD activity/superstitions/<insert repetitious metal detecting behavior here> people have both before, during, and after going out?

For me, before the hunt, I like to take a moment or two and just become aware with my surroundings. I guess this is akin to finding where the nearest exits are in a restaurant, etc. I like to look around and take in presently what I see but simultaneously turning back the clock to yesteryear and wondering how things looked. Who was standing where I am, what were they doing. For some this might be the research part of the hunt being put into practice wherein you are placing yourself where most likely people would have dropped things. I do that too but I find it just as enjoyable just thinking what was going on a hundred or two hundred years ago (or longer) at the spot i'm at.

During the hunt if I get an iffy signal, I have the angel/devil on the shoulder routine of whether to dig it and what happens if I do/do not. This happens several times during a typical hunt. Yes, the struggle is real!

If I see other folks that many times start to inch closer to me wondering if they ask what I'm finding or not, I have an internal discussion of "how am I answering their question of "what are you doing?/finding?" which has been asked many different ways but the same result.

After the hunt, I know many with Youtube videos will have a "round up" where they display their finds on the flatbed of a truck or bench. Me? I like to just head on home, take my dirty clothes off, get washed up and then after pouring a nice single malt and firing up a cuban, I crack open my finds and usually laugh and say something to the effect of "all that for a few pulltabs huh?" and each time I have the same answer "Yep, and it was all worth it. Every bit of it".

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said and personally insightful.
I, for some strange reason, make sure I have a clean pouch before every search/hunt. Nothing from previous endeavor may remain. Other than that, I always enjoy an adult beverage whilst cleaning finds.
GL
Peace ✌

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread