Markomyt1

Dec 1, 2013
Cheyenne, WY
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom III
AT PRO Woot!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The question I have is MD insurance for what?
Is it in case we damage something? In case we get injured?
I think it is valid to discuss this to understand our response if someone brings it up.
Keep Digging!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
The question I have is MD insurance for what?
Is it in case we damage something? In case we get injured?
I think it is valid to discuss this to understand our response if someone brings it up.
Keep Digging!
We do not want MD insurance to much insurance now … We discussed it … AND we don't want it……...

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa, I'm wit cha!
Seriously, I did NOT mean offend when starting Thread?
Europe has strick guidelines when MD is concerned. True, Europe has extensive history, yet the MDers there overcome restraints w insurance.
I just thought this may be a future option to closed parks/sites.
I will say this. I have since contacted my local county parks about MD ins. I have yet to receive a response?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
cincinnati-kid, if "ankle-breaking holes" are truly the reason some park near you is off-limits, I highly doubt offering them insurance will change their minds. All it will do is further cement into someone's mind that this is exactly and directly the outcome of metal detecting of necessity: ankle-breaking-holes! It seems to me that that's the last notion we want to bring to the table. But that's just me.

Hey, and when you think of it: "ankle-breaking-holes" was ALREADY illegal. It didn't matter HOW they got there (by any hobby imaginable), there is already laws that forbid leaving such things, even before metal detectors were invented. So to think you can get "liability insurance" to remedy such a thing, sort of sounds like this: If the speed limit is 55 mph, and exceeding that runs the risks of car accidents, therefore, if I desire to speed anyhow, do you think I can offer the highway patrol to get liability insurance, to cover accidents-while -speeding? No, it doesn't work like that. They would simply tell you "speeding is illegal, period".

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
In the UK, it is a great option or a MUST to have MD ins., to search private land. I may or may not know this from TNet forums and YouTube videos.
Peace
…. Now if the …..Silver Searcher…..lives in the UK and hunts in the UK and he said they do not need MD insurance over there .. And you keep saying he does not know what he is talking about…..Do you not think he would know more about it since he lives in the UK And you live in Ohio..

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please stop this insurance talk...... I mean really. Next thing you know somebody will make it mandatory.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe we should get insurance to play catch with our kids when we go to the park. You know someone could get hit with a ball or something.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa, I'm wit cha!
Seriously, I did NOT mean offend when starting Thread?
Europe has strick guidelines when MD is concerned. True, Europe has extensive history, yet the MDers there overcome restraints w insurance.
I just thought this may be a future option to closed parks/sites.
I will say this. I have since contacted my local county parks about MD ins. I have yet to receive a response?

You Didn't offend me, But this certainly Worries me.

I sure hope nobody makes that kind of suggestion around here.
or even asks the Question
to lawyers,
anyone who owns land, sells insurance, runs for president, or Writes Laws :o

I don't scare Easy,

But this type of talk Frightens me, & makes me worry about my freedoms.

If I wanted to waste money on a hobby,
I would have took up golf, or Hot air ballooning.

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
…. Now if the …..Silver Searcher…..lives in the UK and hunts in the UK and he said they do not need MD insurance over there .. And you keep saying he does not know what he is talking about…..Do you not think he would know more about it since he lives in the UK And you live in Ohio..
What I think this guy is getting confused with is, some of the larger organised metal detecting rallies require you to belong to either F.I.D or N.C.M.D which are Federation of Independent Detectorists and National Council for Metal Detectorists , it costs about £10 per year, it's basically a Public Liability Insurance to cover the larger clubs, that have 100's of diggers turn up to these rallies, which by the way are a free for all and a complete waist of time and money.
BUT it is NOT compulsory or required if you hunt private land were you have gained your own permission, or you go with a weekend club.

SS

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
​I got a PM from … U.K.Brian … And he said the same as Silver Searcher said .. No insurance is needed in the U.K. to detect……………. DSCN0461.JPG

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I can barely afford an annual parking pass let alone having to pay an
Insurance premium to swing on the beach!:laughing7:

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks RustyGold. I doubt beaches apply. Even State Park beaches are a "go" for detecting.
I think MD ins., might help obtaining private sites?
Peace

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Don't Ask ... Don't Tell ... Do it Early ... Bring You Dog with You ... No Worries :)

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What some people can't understand at times is that some owners just don't want you on their property or the property that they are charged with taking care of.
I own almost 9 acres and I have recovered silver coins and relics from my property. I have neighbors who have given me permission to hunt their property. I have invited 3 members of the club I belong to,, to metal detect on my land. They in turn have invited me to hunt a few spots that they hunt. When it comes to private property, the owner has homeowners insurance and that pretty much covers injury that others may suffer, whether or not they have permission to be on the property. When you ask for permission to metal detect or hunt game on private property, you have to accept that NO,, is a complete sentence. Nobody likes rejection.
When it comes to Public Property like parks, well that is another story. Many a lawsuit has been brought against a municipality that failed to maintain a park or correct an unsafe condition. If that condition caused an injury, there are plenty of lawyers who will point the finger of blame at the Parks Department. The lawyers know that they will in all probability win money for their client. There are procedures in place whenever someone is involved in an accident. An investigation and accident report has to be done. Then all the "Cover Your Ass" findings and suggestions are made. If an employee of the Parks Department steps in a hole and twists his ankle, the report made by his supervisor will read "Inattentiveness" as the reason for his injury. Never mind the reason why there was a hole there in the first place. There is a corrective action section in the report that will say the site of the accident was inspected and the hole was backfilled to avoid an accident of this type from reoccurring. The reason for the hole may be a dog that is a digger. A child who dug a hole and left it or a guy with a metal detector. Although nobody actually witnessed the child or dog dig the hole, it is very convenient to blame the guy with the metal detector. Nobody saw him dig a hole and not backfill it,, but that doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions