Metal detecting LAWS? Please read this and respond

T

The.Boomer

I wen to a state park in NY recently. It had a beach on Lake Erie. I had a permit that said I could metal detect but only on the dry sand at the beach. Not in the water and not anywhere else in the park. When I arrived as I walk the path to the beach, right there next to the entrance to the beach the last rule on the sign. No metal detecting. But since I had a permit I just ignored it. In fact I plan on returning and huting the water anyway. The ticket won't be more than the value of the finds. Besides because of their own confusion it should be a fairly easy challenge in court to win.

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gov't just sits and waits on people to touch anything they're not supposed to so they can confiscate it for public museums for the lazy people that just want to wander in and look at it. You do all the background work , study old maps, interview people in the area, painstakingly dig so as not to damage items, fill your holes back in. Then SWOOP, they pop you. I had a friend that had Indian mounds all over his property that he never touched. He had one of the most extensive private collections of Native American items I've ever laid eye's on. But no burial beads, no bones, not even a hair. Someone with the gov't showed up at his house one day with a search warrant and demanded to look at his stuff. He didn't really have a problem, he thought it was safe. After looking at everything in detail, the agent informed him that he would have to confiscate his entire collection. He'd bought what he thought and was told was a dyed turkey feather at a pow-wow to use to inhance a display he had of prayer items. It was an eagle feather. Bye bye collection, nothing he could do. And he knew within a year he could go to a local museum and see the whole collection in tact that he spent tens of thousands of dollars putting together, many items were dug on his property, others were bought or traded for (NO MOUNDS WERE TOUCHED), and he really knew his stuff.
Same thing I guess could happen to anybody on here, but for many reasons. Always to remember to CYA!

HH,
Ramapirate

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread