Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
With a Government Shutdown looming, and if Federal Park employees go on furlough, does that mean all National Parks and Federal Land is open season for Metal Detecting?

What I've always heard is; a law is only a law if it is enforced :) Our border with Mexico is proof of that!!

Update: October 2, 2013, 1:15PM - PST

As of now, the thread is up to 63 comments / replies and it looks like some of the long term posters to TNet are having fun with this post. They range from people that would never break the law, no matter what. To people that believe the relics under the ground on Federal land will disintegrate over time and be lost forever.

Personally, I'm getting a little dizzy, but it here's the synopsis in no particular order:

Leave the relics in the ground! Follows the laws! Dig the relics up, they will turn to dust! Are you serious or joking! Artifacts does zero good buried in the ground! The relics and lead will pollute the ground water! Future high tech equipment will know what's down there and why! The ground is sacred in National Parks! We can tunnel under and get the stuff that way! It's all the Archies fault! Do you even metal detect? Anthropologists do not support digging every site! Maybe our parks are actually government storage areas for aliens!TreasureNet does not advocate the breaking of any laws, local, state or federal! If your detector goes over a target and no one is there to hear it...does it make a sound? The way it's going, there will be no place to Metal Detect! Dig um up! Leave um there! I'm right, your wrong! No! I'm right and your wrong!
Gotta Love It!!

It's no wonder Congress's Approval Rating is only 10% and they can't agree on anything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
With a Government Shutdown looming, and if Federal Park employees go on furlough, does that mean all National Parks and Federal Land is open season for Metal Detecting?

What I've always heard is; a law is only a law if it is enforced :) Our border with Mexico is proof of that!!

Wow! You post something on here using a current event as a talking point and some people get their coils in a wad.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just because the park employees are gone, the law enforcement are still there and they will be waiting to arrest you for trespass when you come hiking back out to your car.

Dick Stout

Mar 23, 2006
Southwest
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen I agree that we are being discriminated against all across the board by stupid laws, most of which are indeed drawn up by archaeologists, but trust me when I say they will pick up on comments like some of those here and use them against us. Just the mention of doing something illegal doesn't help our cause. JMO...

Stout Standards | Just another WordPress.com site

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah TH - You are correct, my point is - It will eventually come to everybody else's back yard too........Then what?

I personally don't want to see people detecting in our national parks.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The Dig Dig

Aug 25, 2013
Tampa, FL.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites E-Series (as my back up) Whites Surf Pro P.I. (for water) and a Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would never beep a battle field where there could be bodies but you can bet your rarest find I'd beep a swimming hole or park (both protected in Fl.) If I had the (legal) chance... I'm not risking losing my machine though

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they gave me a chance to hunt Gettysburg I'd be there in a heart beat.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your detector goes over a target and no one is there to hear it...does it make a sound?

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd love to detect the White House Grounds...but somehow I suspect the Secret Service won't be shut down. :laughing7:

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So your saying there are archies pretending to be detectorists on here but are actually spies hoping to catch us stating our plans to hit protected lands?!? We're screwed now, ok guys the Gettysburg hunt is called off. Only good thing about a government shutdown is that those greedy, lying thieves won't be able to put any bullcrap bills into law and make us choke it down.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So your saying there are archies pretending to be detectorists on here but are actually spies hoping to catch us stating our plans to hit protected lands?!? We're screwed now, ok guys the Gettysburg hunt is called off. Only good thing about a government shutdown is that those greedy, lying thieves won't be able to put any bullcrap bills into law and make us choke it down.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

Ya think they have Ground Radar ?

You know we could Tunnel underneath Gettysburg, Detect the ceilings of the Tunnels
& clean the place out :laughing7:

then we could start a Gettysburg version of Ebay because it's obvious.
all we care about is $$ or we would hide the relics away in Boxes
like a archies do. :unhappysmiley:

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm heading to the park and finally going to get to use it.

I'll refill my holes, leave no trace of my gold panning activities, put my campfire out, and pack out all my trash.

What a joy it will be to not have a moron in a green suit b****ing at me the whole time! MY PARK IS MINE AGAIN muahahahahahaaaa

Last edited:

The Dig Dig

Aug 25, 2013
Tampa, FL.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites E-Series (as my back up) Whites Surf Pro P.I. (for water) and a Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've thought about the white house also Mz but one would think the secret service would have those grounds pretty clean. The must beep it regularly no?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've thought about the white house also Mz but one would think the secret service would have those grounds pretty clean. The must beep it regularly no?

HaHa for as Scared as that Lot is, Yes I doubt there is a Chewing gum wrapper,
or clover that is out of place & not accounted for :laughing7:
they probably dive for cover every time they see a pigeon.

Last edited:

Dick Stout

Mar 23, 2006
Southwest
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there archaeologists reading detecting forums? You bet your ass!!!

wild eyed willey

Oct 25, 2012
Southbridge, MA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, fast tracker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
frightening to believe that a law is the only thing keeping some from digging up Gettysburg or other important historical monuments.
The lead and steel/ artifacts does zero good buried in the ground. not having it there would do little to diminish the tragedy that happened there. The only thing relics do in the ground is contaminate it...

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey! hey! we're the archies. Or maybe that's monkeys? oh well, same thing.

Maybe we will have more treasure hunting opportunities with the Debt Ceiling Crisis later this month? :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread