Meteorites from Kansas

gotreasurehunting

Jan 8, 2008
West Monre, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
In July of 2007, I was fortunate to go with my father to Greensburg, Kansas, and locate two Brenham Pallasite meteorites. It was unlike any other treasure hunt I have ever been on. The method of locating these babies is somewhat unusual and it is extremely laborious work to extract them from being buried five feet in the rock hard Kansas sod. For the full story check out my website.

The first one was only 20 inches down and I suspect it had been knocked around with a plow blade and been through many freeze and thaw cycles because it was a shattered, rusted mess. All the pieces weighed 30 pounds though.
IMG_0470.jpg

The second one was a pristine specimen and weighed in at 31 pounds. I guessed its weight perfectly.
IMG_0520.jpg

Upvote 0

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
Way cool story!
Saw a special on tv a while back and they showed those pvc detectors. Best part was when a rock was located, the famer had his back hoe to do most of the digging. Still a lot of hand shoveling involved.
Would love to go and hunt for those things someday.

OP
OP
G

gotreasurehunting

Jan 8, 2008
West Monre, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Yeah, we weren't fortunate enough to be able to have a back hoe do all the digging. We had to do it the old fashioned way. Tough work, I can tell you that. A meteorite like the one I found is worth around $200 a pound. 31 pounds X $200 = $6200. Not bad for a few days work.

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assume you used a large coil PI detector. How about a picture of the detector? How much junk did you have to dig? There's a lot of rusty iron in those fields!!!!

The soil below the plow depth really gets compacted over the years. Man that's hard diggin

I built a PI with a 3 foot coil. I'm quite a ways from Greensburg, but I keep looking. I found a small meteorite ( 1.2g ) in a plowed field.

Still huntin ;)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't want to be hit in the head with one of those babies :D

Master Sarge

Feb 23, 2007
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3 / 6x10" DD & 10" DD Coils / Bullseye II Probe
Are Meteorites located only in certain areas or are they any were?

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Master Sarge said:
Are Meteorites located only in certain areas or are they any were?
meteors can land anywhere.
I saw one hit once but could never locate it
it seemed to be couple blocks away when it passed
but they can be miles away and look close.
finding meteors can be tough
it helps to go hunt a spot where you know a big one hit many years ago then maby if your lucky you will find some fragments of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread