Mexican Shipwrecks

gus

Oct 15, 2004
between isla mujers and isla contoy there is an 17th century wreck that some of the dive shops out of isla mujers use to go to. Not sure about it now. There is a heavly overgrown 1500 wreck along the open shore ofCancun that CEDAM worked back in the 60's recovering various cannon etc. These can be seen in Puerto Aventuras at the CEDAM museum (worth a trip). finally the matanceros wreck just down from puerto aventuras is still producing glass beads etc. This was excavated by Bob Marx and CEDAM in the late 50's early 60's. it is a shore dive and possible to snorkel the area when the surf is down. if its up forget it. Check out Marx's book shipwrecks of the Americas for a listing of various sites in mexican waters. oh by the way its illegal to remove any object from these sites.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOLA DAN, what do you have in mind?? I also have various on the West Caost of Mexico, Honduras, and a Galleon in Costa Rican waters.

Remember, most of the precious metal mined in Mexico was in the North Western part and went by Coastal ships to Aculpulco to avoid the large bands of land bandits, but in turn were subjected to more Piracy than existed in the Caribe.? Far easier pickings, no war ships accompaning them, mostly solitary.

This particular chapter in history is very little known since the priacy in the Caribe was given the publicity, sooo it remains effectvely a virgin ground.? Many many untouched and unfound wrecks.

Bill

Mar 19, 2003
Cocoa Beach
I know of eight(8) shipwrecks on the Yucatan that sank in 1714, but I understand that the Mexican government will not issue salvage permits. I would never take a salvage vessel into Mexican waters without an official clearance from the government.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOLA: Has anyone tried to secure a permit from the Mexican gov't? Which dept handles this?

Taking a salvage vessel into Mexican waters in not a poblem, that occurs if you are caught at salvag work without a permit. hehehhe.

T

TreasDvr

Hi there: any clue why they will not issue a permit?? I thought they love US dollars?? Do THEY salvage their water's wrecks?? Thanks, TreasDvr.

RealdeTayopa said:
HOLA:? Has anyone tried to secure a permit from the Mexican gov't?? Which dept handles this?

Taking a salvage vessel into Mexican waters in not a poblem,? that occurs if you are caught at salvag work without a permit.? ? hehehhe.

gus

Oct 15, 2004
Underwater Sites are controlled by the Institute of Anthropology which has a branch soley for Underwater resources. They do not issue permits. Pilar follows Gerorge Basses rules so to speak. Permits will never be issued. Don't bother asking.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
;D Hay! You Guys !
"? Mexican Shipwrecks "? ???
I didn't know that Adobe Bricks floated!
? ?How about "Spanish Shipwrecks"?? :-[
Now those did float!
Atleast for awhile!

E

elsalvador

My book "Chronicels of Shipwrecks and Sunken Treasure" contains information on a good number of wrecks in Mexican waters on both coasts. You may wish to check out my website at: sevenseaspublishing.com

Best of Luck, Alan R. Riebe

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
:) Hi Elsalvador:
Yes! ? ?:-X There are Ship wrecks on the Mexican Coasts.
There are also "Shipwrecks " on both American Coasts
As there are in Costa Rica, Columbia, Cuba, Bahamas, etc...!
But! Are these wrecks called "Mexican", in/on your charts ?
Or!
Do these wrecks go by the Name of the Country, who lost them!
? ? " ESPANA"
Remember, everything WEST of Cuba was called "New Spain"!
Also, Remember that there wasn't a Mexico until the? :D? Revolution? :D? of Nov. 20th, 1910 !
? ? :)? " Viva Villa! "? ?:)
(I can claim that War Cry, My Grandfather? fought? ?:P? with ? &? beside ? Poncho! The family has the photos
to prove it !!)
As a kid I heard many a story, from "Mike" of his participation in the Mexican Revolution!
But!
I have wandered? ?:-[? off of the topic...

jsan711

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2004
Pancho Villa was said to have made several treasure caches,do you have any stories on that?Would love to hear them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread