Mexican Silver

mightyzep

Dec 5, 2007
I went to Playa del Carmen earlier this month. I went into some banks and asked for "monedas de plata" but no banks could help me. When I was visiting the island of Cozumel there was an old guy on a street corner with a basket of old silver Mexican coins..they were beautiful and it looked like he was asking about the per oz price...unfortunately I didn't have any cash left and couldn't make a deal with him. I was trying to get him to take the ferry over to the mainland so I could buy some coins there...we couldn't work it out. Then I went to all the silver jewelry stores and started asking. The first store that had a silver coin wanted over $100 for a 5 peso silver coin from the 40s. It is a little bigger than a silver dollar, when I got home I found it was close to an ounce of 90% silver. The next store had silver coins...1 peso coins from 1961. About the size of a half dollar, firs the guy wanted 750 pesos for this coin, eventually I got him down to 300 pesos, about $25. I thought I had gotten a reasonable deal until I got home and looked up this coin on the internet...it is only 10% silver. The store owner had made a big deal of weighing it and multiplying the weight by the silver price...I'll never know if he knew it was only 10% or not. I think the silver value is only about $2. I should have known that a 1 peso coin that big from 1961 couldn't be that much silver. When I got back to my home, San Jose CA, I went to a coin store to see the mexican silver coins.

Here is the 5 peso coin I bought for $32. It has a little more silver in it than an American silver dollar. Note that the Mexican coins tell you their weight and percent silver on them. I think that is pretty cool.

iphone%2520pics%252020120320%2520011.JPG

iphone%2520pics%252020120320%2520012.JPG

Upvote 0

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I have one of those Mexican 5 pesos of silver that I got for my b-day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions