Michigan United Railroad button found in Galveston, TX

frankiefry

May 16, 2010
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV, Ace 250, Tesoro Silver uMax
Michigan United Railways Co button found in Galveston, TX

102_0128.JPG 102_0130.JPG This button was dug in Galveston, TX last month by a friend of mine and sent to me as a gift. The back says something under the rust and then James Co Kalamazoo Mich Any info and possible value would be appreciated. : )

tokensmith

Aug 8, 2007
Are you sure it says James? The Henderson-Ames Co. was in business in Kalamazoo for many years making buttons, badges, regalia, etc.

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find - here is some info...

Michigan United Railway: Another of Michigan's large interurban systems, the Michigan United began operations in 1906 through the formation of several smaller lines and served Lansing, Battle Creek, Owosso, Kalamazoo, Jackson, Flint, and Saginaw. It was also another of the state's well engineered lines providing high speed service with heavyweight equipment. The company was even profitable enough to purchase the Michigan Central's former main line (a standard railroad) between Kalamazoo and Mattawan when the company realigned its route. In 1911 the Michigan United leased a small standard railroad, the Kalamazoo Lake Shore & Chicago Traction, which was abandoned by 1925 due to lack of profits. Prior to this the company had also acquired another small line, the Grand Rapids, Holland & Chicago Railway. By 1923 the MU was in financial trouble and was reorganized as the Michigan Electric Railway. Profits continued to decline through the 1920s and service was finally abandoned by 1929.

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one just like it a couple of years ago, great find for sure [thumbsup]

OP
OP
frankiefry

frankiefry

May 16, 2010
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV, Ace 250, Tesoro Silver uMax
Thanks for the additional information. Yes, now I see that is probably Ames, not James. The rust makes it hard to see the first part and I saw the 'ames' and just assumed James. LOL That's what you get for assuming things. : )

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button! looks like you got the info needed. :icon_thumright:

Michiganne

Silver Member