North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Mid 1700's plantation site finds

Discovered the remains of a plantation in an area of some early settlements in coastal NC this weekend. Too bad that it appears that I am not the first to discover it based on the meager finds. Anyway, I did manage to pull a musket ball, one single button, broken piece of brass decorative plate, couple pieces of pewter utensils, lots of nice hand forged nails, a lead seal, and other misc. period items.

The small piece had me excited at first glance. It thought it might be a cob but turns out it is copper or brass and appears to have something stamped on it. Might have been a button. Let me know if you see anything on it or maybe it is just corroded metal with nothing at all?

Attachments

• P1020117.JPG
    P1020117.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 104
  • P1020116.JPG
    P1020116.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 114
  • P1020120.JPG
    P1020120.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 113
  • P1020123.JPG
    P1020123.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 113
  • P1020118.JPG
    P1020118.JPG
    321.3 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 2

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the comments. Too bad there is not more detail left to ID it. I plan to get back to this site in the winter after some of the vegitation dies down. Maybe I can get lucky and make some good finds out away from the foundation.

@ Bill D., I realized that I was on a very early site based on the rose head nails. It is amazing how much effort was put into making each of these by hand. They are still in very good condition after 250+ years.

@ Dan, You probably detected this very site which is why I can't find anything there ;)

Those nails are in great condition for just being dug. You must be hunting in sandy soil. Once you get those cleaned up nicely with electrolysis and protect them with polyurethane they'll make very nice looking display pieces.

OP
OP
screwynewy

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Those nails are in great condition for just being dug. You must be hunting in sandy soil. Once you get those cleaned up nicely with electrolysis and protect them with polyurethane they'll make very nice looking display pieces.

Yes, this site has very sandy soil which makes for extremely easy digging. Wish all of my early sites were this way. The nails in the picture are just a small sample of what I have dug at this site. Too bad they sound so good. You just can't pass up a good signal at these sites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions