Middle TN Greenpea needs MD selection HELP

jcpirate

Feb 21, 2009
Ridgetop,Tennessee
New to this and need advice from local hunters.First detector purchase,and way too much info out there.I do know we have "hot" or mineralized soil.Plan to coin shoot,jewlery,and some relic hunts.Have several locations in North Middle TN in woodland,creek beds,old foundations,ect.
Now for the advice. Ace 250? Whites Prizm III? Tesoro Silverumax? Fisher F2? Or none of the above? what about the Bounty Hunter units?
Although new at this,I want a MD that I can grow into,not one that will be too basic after a short time.Am asking here cause you are my people in my part of the country.
Thanks for your time.
Jim Cook
[email protected]

Attachments

• 74b7.jpg
    74b7.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 234

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jim...I'm about an hour south of Nashville so not that far away from you. I'm partial to the Whites MXT because it's fairly easy to learn, yet one you can keep for a long time. Having said that, I'd check out www.kellycodetectors.com website and look at their machines and the user feedback provided with each model. As you'll see, there are a LOT of machines on their website so for your next step I'd encourage you to give them a call. They have experienced folks that actually MD as well and are familiar with the machines they sell. They can help you decide by asking questions and help you narrow your choices down.

Let me know how it turns out. Be glad to hunt with you sometime in your neck of the woods.

EddieR

Mar 1, 2005
Madisonville, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MXT,..Tesoro Vaquero, Silver UMax, Compadre, Tejon,..BH LandRanger..Pioneer 505.. GC1023..Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000, Eurotek Pro..Fisher F2, F4, F5, F70
Tesoro makes great detectors! I wouldn't get anything that has fixed ground balance if you have hot ground. I live in East Tn and have had great results with Tesoro, Whites, Fisher, Bounty Hunter, and Garrett machines. The key is get either an auto ground balance or manual ground balance machine and then practice till you figure out what that machine is telling you!

Eddie

Mike_of_Tenn

Nov 19, 2008
White Bluff, TN
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-Terra 70
How much are you wanting to spend? i use a White's XLT and love it. But I am thinking of getting a MineLab this summer. Check CraigsList in Nashville and Ebay, alot of good deals on used ones.

Mike

MayberryMonte

Sep 12, 2008
Soddy Daisy, TN.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
As a beginner 5 months ago, I was like you, confused as to what to buy. My first MD(Bounty Hunter 101) came from craigslist, my 2nd ( Radio Shack Discovery 2000 like BH lone star) the next day came from a yard sale but was better than the 1st. My 3rd and current MD is an ACE 250 from Kellyco purchased a couple of months ago. I bought it after much research and reading many posts on here plus the salesman(Tony) gave it a great recommendation. If you decide to go that way. They have an accessory package that goes with it but its not worth what they say it is in money terms. I got a 4" sniper coil instead, a much better deal. The 250 is great , easy to learn, and will produce for you which is the name of the game.

shonintn

Tenderfoot
Nov 7, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, T2
Hey Jim,

Its hard to say which MD, if your in it for the long haul, then I would go with a higher end unit. I have a MXT and an F-75 and love them both. All depends on what you want to spend, you cant give up if at first if all your digging is junk, the first relic or good coin you dig you will be hooked and you will start thinking what am I missing with this ace 250 or whatever. Because the MXT and other higher end units do get deeper. Middle TN is a great area to hunt, lots of old stuff ready to be saved. Hope this has helped some.

Tn Dirt Digger

Sep 21, 2008
Pulaski Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nautilus IIba/10" Coil, Whites MXT, M6, 950 Stock Coil, Super12, 6X10 DD, 10X12 SEF Butterfly
Hi neighbor!...A lot of detectors out there...I use a MXT and a M6....both are great machines....But to answer your question I believe I would look seriously at the Ace 250...I just bought one for a friend of mine that is new to the hobby....Great machine, easy to resale and your not out a ton of cash...also makes a great backup machine...super dvd makes it easy to learn. I have never owned one but am looking to buy one for family members and guest. This is a very popular machine on all the forums I visit....Good luck on your decision...

George

pensacolakid

Sep 29, 2008
seneca, south carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
I live about an hour south of you in fayetteville, I am very happy with my whites mxt. Especially since I have found about 10 buttons, 30 bullets and 2 buckles with it since I have had it about 6 years now. Good coin machine also.

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
Hey, I am in Texas but I am originily from West Tennessee, Milledgeville, Salute!! :icon_salut:

Look, I got way to much detector and only my pigheadness kept me in the hobby. :headbang:

My suggestion, the ACE 250. The main reason, simplicity and reliability. It really is tough to beat it for value and function. If you want a little more in the same package the ACE 350 will give you just a little more in functions.

Of courese just my opinion.

Good luck!! :headbang: :headbang:

TN_MD

Jan 6, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Radio Shack 2v6 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD , And a Homebuilt M.D.
Jim, getting the right detector is like anything else, if you don't learn to use it , then u will never be happy with it and the results you get from it, If u are like some folks and always have to have the latest and greatest and the most expensive, then no matter what I say it's not going to make any influence on ur decision.

Jim I am here in Middle TN, Rutherford Co. have been doing this for quite some time now, had most brand names etc, I seem to always return to the BH mostly cause of the weight of the machine , after messing up my shoulder I needed a light machine and I already owned it , so I went back to the old Faithfull BH pioneer 101, and BH tracker iv, both are good machines and in lots of hunts I find stuff that the other fellers with the high priced fancy machines leave behind, The main reason is they don't take the time to really learn about their machines. ( and yes i have owned whites and other brands also)

Jim there is nothing wrong with the Whites or any other machine either, the thing is taking the time to learn that machine and what it tells you. it's doesn't matter if it's a $100 or $1000 if you don't learn to use it and constantly keep trading up then what good was it to waste all the money on them machines, I have seen fellers with a closet full of machines and still cant operate any of them worth a darn. still get outhunted by guys with old beat up machines just cause they have experience.

Anyways if you Join Hobby Lobby email List they will send you a 40% off Coupon in ur email to print off good on anything in the store to include the Metal Detectors they carry mostly BH depending on the store some may carry other brands also.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting.
Karl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread