McMINN CO. TENNSSEE....Ducks Silver Mine

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
McMINN CO. TENNSSEE....Duck's Silver Mine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. William Duckworth Franklin (Mary Aka Glumdalclitch ) was born about 1796 in NC. He died on 6 Jan 1860 in NC and was buried in Duck's Mill Br, Shelton Laurel, Madison Co, NC.

McMINN CO. TENNSSEE
Duck Shelton, said to be son of Roderick by Mary Franklin, a Cherokee Indian girl, was born about 1798. Duck Shelton was said to have been supported and cared for by Roderick. Records show that he married and had a daughter, Mahalia Shelton, who married a Union soldier, Alexander Griffin. Duck Shelton reportedly had a silver mine which he worked, and from the silver he produced minted coins. The silver being of a high grade of purity, the coins had a higher silver content than those frm the Philadelphia mint. In 1848 he was found guilty in a Yancey County court of making and passing counterfit money and was sentenced to have 30 lashes to be administered by the Sheriff. Traditionally, the mine was so well hidden that it has not been found to this day. William Bud Shelton is said to have had the silver molds supposed to have been used by Duck in minting his silver coins. Duck Shelton died in 1860.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: McMINN CO. TENNSSEE....Duck's Silver Mine

Glumdalclitch...ya sez???

Silver was mined through east Tennessee, western north carolina and north georgia area. It was high grade silver...and to this day the source remains as much a mystery as the Melungeons who mined it also

Tn Dirt Digger

Sep 21, 2008
Pulaski Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nautilus IIba/10" Coil, Whites MXT, M6, 950 Stock Coil, Super12, 6X10 DD, 10X12 SEF Butterfly

Great information guys thanks for taking the time to find and post that info...

George

tennessekidd

Greenie
Sep 20, 2008
SouthEast Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202/ modified 4", 8", 16" coils
Bounty Hunter PinPointer/ digger & mag tool handle
Whites XLT/ 8"x24" custom Coil,
MineLab Eplorer XS/
Garrett Infinium LS /

Gypsy Heart said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. William Duckworth Franklin (Mary Aka Glumdalclitch ) was born about 1796 in NC. He died on 6 Jan 1860 in NC and was buried in Duck's Mill Br, Shelton Laurel, Madison Co, NC.

McMINN CO. TENNSSEE
Duck Shelton, said to be son of Roderick by Mary Franklin, a Cherokee Indian girl, was born about 1798. Duck Shelton was said to have been supported and cared for by Roderick. Records show that he married and had a daughter, Mahalia Shelton, who married a Union soldier, Alexander Griffin. Duck Shelton reportedly had a silver mine which he worked, and from the silver he produced minted coins. The silver being of a high grade of purity, the coins had a higher silver content Hiya:
Thithan those frm the Philadelphia mint. In 1848 he was found guilty in a Yancey County court of making and passing counterfit money and was sentenced to have 30 lashes to be administered by the Sheriff. Traditionally, the mine was so well hidden that it has not been found to this day. William Bud Shelton is said to have had the silver molds supposed to have been used by Duck in minting his silver coins. Duck Shelton died in 1860.
Sounds very similar to another lost silver mine tale. I actualy just posted, near Newport Tn. you think these could possibly be tied together some how? we have many Shelton's around the area to. most likely not though... :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread