Mild Disbelief

T-Candy

Mar 6, 2011
I've noticed an abundance of truly unbelievable posts recently, whether it be solid rolls boxes of barbers or endless enders. I'm pointing this out not to make anyone uncomfortable, but because I'd really like to hear more about the less significant finds. You know the 15 - 40%'s that paid for gas and the candy bars you had purchased for the tellers, or the wheat cents received in change. Speaking from experience a lonely 40% can be fairly disappointing to a newcomer after reading dreamy posts relaying roll after roll of 90's.

T-Candy

P.S.

$40 CWR Halves

1 - 1968 (traded for a low-end mint state 1883 no cents liberty nickel ~ $20-25 ;D)

$60 CWR Dimes

2 - Canadian Dimes (nickel)
1 - Canadian Year of Volunteers Dime (nickel)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T-Candy

T-Candy

Mar 6, 2011
jrf30 said:
In 2011 I am averaging 1 silver coin every 6.1 boxes.

is that mundane enough for you? :-)

^ I think some of you folks may have missed my point, I realize that in this hobby persistence is key. That a CRH'r will encounter many skunk boxes, I suppose it just occurred to me that a newcomer may be met with some level of disappointment if they were to posses unrealistic expectations. I certainly enjoy the score stories, and I wouldn't suggest that anyone hold them back. I just thought that if lesser records were shared, other than the usual 8 box skunks, that those new to CRH could see the "in-between" and have some sort of reasonable goal to shoot for.

mlayers said:
I do believe if you go back into the older posts you will see that I posted when I was getting skunk boxes. I did this all week. Until I went on a road trip and that day I scored 12 or 13 silver pieces.....Matt

^ I hadn't aimed this post at any one individual.

calisdad said:
So: out of 656 dimes I had 39 40%ers
257 quarters I had 17 40%ers

^ Unfortunately dimes/quarters weren't minted on silver planchets after 1964, and those minted 1964 and before were composed of 90% silver. Any dimes/quarters that have dates from 1965-present will be of the modern clad compositions.

Helpful Guide ---> http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,54523.0.html

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get skunk boxes regularly. I also get 1-4 silvers in a box. My biggest score was 21 if I remember correctly.

I'm still praying for that BIG SCORE some day. I'm sure it will come, it's just a matter of time.

I think anyone that reads a little about the hobby will understand that it's not a regular thing to get a lot of silver in a box.

Remember, the guys that get these crazy boxes of silver also go througha LOT of boxes.

I only go through 2-4 a week.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
T-Candy said:
I suppose it just occurred to me that a newcomer may be met with some level of disappointment if they were to posses unrealistic expectations.

I agree wholeheartedly.

I am fairly new to CRH. Sometimes it is hard, after a long string of skunks, to read about people hitting the mother lode, and I am desperately trying to dump yet another 1,000 clad halves.

I admit, sometimes it is hard to believe and understand how some people get so lucky finding so much silver.

The skunk streaks like I am having, with 12 in a row, are not much fun...especially when you read about someone finding $500 worth of silver in one box.

Right now, I am trying to have blind faith in Rileyboy's adage of "Its out there", but I am often doubtful that I'll ever find much silver.

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Remember, these guys didn't just get a few few boxes and hit the big score. They have been through thousands of boxes (for the most part). They buy 4-20 boxes A WEEK.

Not all, but most of the people that hit the big score, have been CRHing for a long time.

It comes with bulk. Not meaning that you have to get 20 boxes a week, just meaning that you have to go through a lot of boxes.

Your big score will come.... It's just a matter of time and luck. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
T-Candy

T-Candy

Mar 6, 2011
SeaninNH said:
Remember, these guys didn't just get a few few boxes and hit the big score. They have been through thousands of boxes (for the most part). They buy 4-20 boxes A WEEK.

^ Definitely something that everyone needs to realize, while this is largely the luck of the draw, that luck is amplified by heavy throughput. Excellent advice Sean.

Happy Hunting.

T-Candy

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
calisdad said:
I don't spend my change. It goes in a cup on the dresser then gets sorted when the cup is full only to end up in an old sock in the closet. Never having looked for 40%ers I thought I'd see what I had last Friday when it was raining and I was trying to be productive. Of course if I came across a silver I'd save it but haven't found many. I did get a Mercury dime in change a couple of months ago- not common.

346 nickels zero war nickels

Not bad for a lazy afternoons work. Not earthshaking either but worth the effort.

btw- are coin dealers the best outlet to sell your finds?
thanks-
C-dad

Your kidding right? 40% quarters and dimes?

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AGCoinHunter said:
calisdad said:
I don't spend my change. It goes in a cup on the dresser then gets sorted when the cup is full only to end up in an old sock in the closet. Never having looked for 40%ers I thought I'd see what I had last Friday when it was raining and I was trying to be productive. Of course if I came across a silver I'd save it but haven't found many. I did get a Mercury dime in change a couple of months ago- not common.

346 nickels zero war nickels

Not bad for a lazy afternoons work. Not earthshaking either but worth the effort.

btw- are coin dealers the best outlet to sell your finds?
thanks-
C-dad

Your kidding right? 40% quarters and dimes?
really? :violent1: It's a mistake AG, calm down, the mistake has already been corrected by someone else, no need for you to just make a fool of yourself. People don't like sarcastic humor like the comment you just made. :coffee2: :coffee2:

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope- he assumed '65-'70 dimes and quarters were 40% like halves. Now why would I do that?

So is a coin dealer the best place to take the ones that really have silver content? What percent of melt is a decent trade?

thanks-

OP
OP
T-Candy

T-Candy

Mar 6, 2011
alaskanfever said:
He is from canada you guys their coins are different then ours.

^
CA = California. That brings up a good point though, a quantity of Canadian dimes and quarters were minted of 50% silver during a transitional period from 67-68. Any coins from these dates should be tested for nickel content with the pass of a magnet, if they show signs of magnetism they are likely of the later nickel composition and worth only face value.

calisdad said:
Nope- he assumed '65-'70 dimes and quarters were 40% like halves. Now why would I do that?

So is a coin dealer the best place to take the ones that really have silver content? What percent of melt is a decent trade?

thanks-

^
I suppose that really depends on your area, whether it be metropolitan etc. I'm personally comfortable selling at $.80-$1 less than melt. I usually take my found coins to a local "gold and silver" buyer. They generally run adds claiming the highest buying rates etc, and I once was able to coax the gentleman to pay me face value in silver certs and red seal $2 bills(old currency). These items are often a stalemate for metal buyers and yet seem to be something they've always got around.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread