Mild Disbelief

T-Candy

Mar 6, 2011
I've noticed an abundance of truly unbelievable posts recently, whether it be solid rolls boxes of barbers or endless enders. I'm pointing this out not to make anyone uncomfortable, but because I'd really like to hear more about the less significant finds. You know the 15 - 40%'s that paid for gas and the candy bars you had purchased for the tellers, or the wheat cents received in change. Speaking from experience a lonely 40% can be fairly disappointing to a newcomer after reading dreamy posts relaying roll after roll of 90's.

T-Candy

P.S.

$40 CWR Halves

1 - 1968 (traded for a low-end mint state 1883 no cents liberty nickel ~ $20-25 ;D)

$60 CWR Dimes

2 - Canadian Dimes (nickel)
1 - Canadian Year of Volunteers Dime (nickel)

Upvote 0

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is human nature or maybe CRHer nature to post about great finds and not post about average finds or skunks. I think that is just the way it goes. Last week I only found [4] 40%ers out of 8 boxes - just my guess but I am not sure anyone would be interested in reading about that. By the way, very nice trade up!!! :thumbsup:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For every super box encountered , there were hundreds of lousy boxes before and after. I just had a 12 boxes of skunks but I never want to post that.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I, too, have been through 12 boxes of nothing but skunks.

Today, I got $100 in halves, and another $100 in clear wrapped quarters...another big skunk.

kd5txx

Nov 5, 2009
Lexington KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I had 2 skunk days then happened to ask if they had any halfs at Kroger tonight and the lady handed me 2 1964 and 2 1968. Then asked if I wanted an Ike too.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
In 2011 I am averaging 1 silver coin every 6.1 boxes.

is that mundane enough for you? :-)

conpewter

Aug 17, 2010
Illinois
I was excited for my mild find on Monday. I got a 1 '64 out of two boxes which is very good for me. First silver in a couple weeks worth of boxes.

legend76

May 17, 2010
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My last two boxes of halves have produced (1) 40%er each. I'm halfway through another box with not so much as an NIFC, and a lot of coins are marked on the edge with a little strip of silver looking paint.
AND, my last box of cents only had 5 wheaties......(but almost 30% Cu :icon_pirat:)
In case you missed it, here's my pocket change score from last week. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,389253.0.html

HH,
Legend

austinosphere

Greenie
Oct 31, 2010
And that, my friends, is what pushed me towards pennies.

Now, hear me out.

Whenever I open a box of pennies, I know that about 20% of the coins will be copper (at least in my area). That's $5 face value of copper pennies. But those copper pennies are CURRENTLY selling on eBay, for twice face value (search 'copper penny bullion'). So I'm pretty much GUARANTEED $5 profit per $25 box of pennies. I never get skunked.

Now check this out:

1) Pennies, nickels and dimes are commonly ordered by businesses, so they aren't getting these "nuisance avoidance fees" that the halves are getting.
2) Less money is tied up at a time.
3) For the average $5 in profit, you have to return HOW MANY halves? You can't spend that much money on coinstar gift cards, so that means you can only use the bank machines. With pennies, $50 in copper profit would be about $150-200 returned to the coinstar machines - a lot more doable (home improvement projects with Lowes cards, Christmas shopping on Amazon.com, etc.)
4) It takes the same amount of effort to order pennies as it does halves - but almost every bank has them in - no more "road tripping" or calling a zillion banks.
5) People aren't nearly as worried about competition - in fact, the faster copper leaves the penny supply, the faster the melt ban will be lifted - and instead of being worth 2X face, they'll be worth 3X face!
6) I can manually sort 1 box per hour, but there are machines (ryedale, others) that can mechanically sort them. At $5/hour, that's not great pay. HOWEVER if one honestly calculates the time spent FINDING and DUMPING halves vs. pennies, I'm not sure halves pay any better at all.

If it wasn't for this forum keeping everyone excited about halves with other people's finds, I think that the AVERAGE CRH'er would be discouraged after finding nothing in 5 boxes. It's these dream boxes that people post (and the bad ones that they don't post) which give people hope in silver CRH>

I really think that copper is where it's at. Yes, I'd rather have silver than copper - but for the amount of time I've spent at this, and the work I've done, vs. the amount you've spent at this vs. the silver you've found - I'll take my copper profits and simply buy silver.

It's just my two cents and I'm sharing it like this to try to be convincing that pennies really are worth looking at.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jrf30 said:
In 2011 I am averaging 1 silver coin every 6.1 boxes.

is that mundane enough for you? :-)

Haha..that made me choke on my lunch. :laughing9:

Really thou...When I started CRH'in... I was reading these "Unbelievable" Finds also, and wondered

"Why dont I Find that Stuff?" :icon_scratch:

Then I Got a Box with a bunch of Franklins and 64 Kens...So I saw it could happen...

Plus..I dont like to share the fact I spend 200 Bucks in dimes to get a Silver..

Not worth wasting a post on....Just my Opinion :sign13:

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
austinosphere said:
And that, my friends, is what pushed me towards pennies.

Now, hear me out.

Whenever I open a box of pennies, I know that about 20% of the coins will be copper (at least in my area). That's $5 face value of copper pennies. But those copper pennies are CURRENTLY selling on eBay, for twice face value (search 'copper penny bullion'). So I'm pretty much GUARANTEED $5 profit per $25 box of pennies. I never get skunked.

Now check this out:

1) Pennies, nickels and dimes are commonly ordered by businesses, so they aren't getting these "nuisance avoidance fees" that the halves are getting.
2) Less money is tied up at a time.
3) For the average $5 in profit, you have to return HOW MANY halves? You can't spend that much money on coinstar gift cards, so that means you can only use the bank machines. With pennies, $50 in copper profit would be about $150-200 returned to the coinstar machines - a lot more doable (home improvement projects with Lowes cards, Christmas shopping on Amazon.com, etc.)
4) It takes the same amount of effort to order pennies as it does halves - but almost every bank has them in - no more "road tripping" or calling a zillion banks.
5) People aren't nearly as worried about competition - in fact, the faster copper leaves the penny supply, the faster the melt ban will be lifted - and instead of being worth 2X face, they'll be worth 3X face!
6) I can manually sort 1 box per hour, but there are machines (ryedale, others) that can mechanically sort them. At $5/hour, that's not great pay. HOWEVER if one honestly calculates the time spent FINDING and DUMPING halves vs. pennies, I'm not sure halves pay any better at all.

If it wasn't for this forum keeping everyone excited about halves with other people's finds, I think that the AVERAGE CRH'er would be discouraged after finding nothing in 5 boxes. It's these dream boxes that people post (and the bad ones that they don't post) which give people hope in silver CRH>

I really think that copper is where it's at. Yes, I'd rather have silver than copper - but for the amount of time I've spent at this, and the work I've done, vs. the amount you've spent at this vs. the silver you've found - I'll take my copper profits and simply buy silver.

It's just my two cents and I'm sharing it like this to try to be convincing that pennies really are worth looking at.

Dollar for dollar, pennies are indeed the best. A $25 box of pennies does indeed have the highest return on your money. I would argue a bit on your "face value" rate, as you stated that you can only sell them for 2 cents each, instead of the 3 cents that their "worth". But even so, cents would still have the highest return, and that really is an argument for a different thread.

The only problem comes with your time. I'll use the same $5/hour that you used. In that same hour, you could have sorted 4 boxes of halves. Just finding a lone 40%er in those 4 boxes would net you that same $5 at today's spot price. Most half box searchers will average a bit better than 1 40% per 4 boxes.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do believe if you go back into the older posts you will see that I posted when I was getting skunk boxes. I did this all week. Until I went on a road trip and that day I scored 12 or 13 silver pieces.....Matt

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010
I know some posts about half dollar scores are unbelievable, but i have searced quite a few boxes, and have found alot of silver. some boxes have none and others average 2 or 3. But some times the boxes have 20 , 30, or 40 silver in them. My best was about 70. But any time i get any silver i am happy. If you keep lookin g you will hit it one day. Remember its a hobby not a job. good luck and happy hunting.

SilverQuest

Oct 23, 2010
Oklahoma/Kansas border
$200 of dimes = skunked and dumped.

Took $100 to another bank for dimes. That was a skunk also.

Took another $100 to a credit union that i happen to drive by.
They had to go to the vault to get me $100 in dimes.....

1- 1960
1- 1946
and
1 - 1988 canadian! lol

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out my previous posts and you will see loads of el skunkos for a lengthy amount of time. You will also see words of encouragement to go along with those skunks. Just ask anyone that has been on the net for over a year or so.

apush :read2:

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't spend my change. It goes in a cup on the dresser then gets sorted when the cup is full only to end up in an old sock in the closet. Never having looked for 40%ers I thought I'd see what I had last Friday when it was raining and I was trying to be productive. Of course if I came across a silver I'd save it but haven't found many. I did get a Mercury dime in change a couple of months ago- not common.

So: out of 656 dimes I had 39 40%ers
257 quarters I had 17 40%ers
346 nickels zero war nickels

Not bad for a lazy afternoons work. Not earthshaking either but worth the effort.

btw- are coin dealers the best outlet to sell your finds?
thanks-
C-dad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread