Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Went out with DiggerGirl to do some hunting in a spot that hasn't given us much so far. It was a little wet, and the mud was soup in the bottom of the sugar cane rows. That didn't deter us. We persisted through the slop after starting with a couple turn rows. :)

DiggerGirl was the first to score with a nice nickel. 1884 V nickel in decent shape. Then she scored a flat button and I got a piece of a spur. The spur looks like it had a duck, snake, or dog head on it where the neck terminated in the rowel. Interesting!

We then got a couple Civil War bullets, and I walked up on an Eagle Button right in the top of the row. My last great dig was an 1853-O with arrows Seated Half Dime, then DG dug a cuff button that appears to be a cuff sized 1840s Navy button with fouled vertical anchor and eagle on top, lined background and a rope border were dead giveaways. In Tice's book, this button is closest to the cuff version of NA203A9. I hope you enjoy the video and photos.

Here's the freshly dug Eagle Button (GS). (I actually dug a Scovill Waterbury back (missing the front) that is the same size as this one, so that is a great sign too.)

eagle hand.JPG

And the half dime in the sticky mud:

HD hand.JPG

DiggerGirl smiling with her pre-CW Navy Cuff Button:

DG.JPG

And her nice 1884 V:

V nickel.JPG

Here's the strange spur that I dug. If anyone has seen this style before, please chime in.

spur side.JPG

spur top.JPG

I also recovered this blue glass bead. I'm not sure these would qualify as "trade beads," but perhaps someone in the trade artifacts forum can give me some more information. This one looks blown or tooled in some way (the swirl mark only appears on one end of the bead). I have recovered several legitimate trade beads (russian blues and a green), but I've also found several like this one in pre-CW sites:

Bead.JPG

And of course the 1853-O half dime will add nicely to the totals for 2013. :)

HD obv.JPG

HD rev.JPG

All my finds:

all my finds.JPG

A bone-handled pocketknife that had some of the handle still surviving.

HPIM4054.JPG

And DiggerGirl's Navy Cuff button:

Navy Cuff.JPG

Best Wishes and HH,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 12

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
I think we are more Winter people BB. However, here's Doug today at a huge local 3 day yard sale with his wares for sale in the background. Reckon Diggergirl would let him borrow her Boonie hat? We are tempted to come down this summer with the great finds you are coming up with my friend. You are on a really good site where anything may surface. HH, Q.
did he tell the same joke? :)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we are more Winter people BB. However, here's Doug today at a huge local 3 day yard sale with his wares for sale in the background. Reckon Diggergirl would let him borrow her Boonie hat? We are tempted to come down this summer with the great finds you are coming up with my friend. You are on a really good site where anything may surface. HH, Q.

How did Dman get so much stuff? I bet his house looks like Sanford and Son!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is always great to click in and see you guys hunt, Enjoy the videos and I imagine it is hard to start in one of those fields. I guess google earth might have a few clues but you still have to walk to it in that muck. I have lost my shoes a few times in that stuff. So Q has you sold on that f75? It looks like you are doing well with it. Thanks for sharing another fun hunt. You seem to have a nice hunting partner.
HH
TnMtns

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are a ton of great finds Congrats!!!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is always great to click in and see you guys hunt, Enjoy the videos and I imagine it is hard to start in one of those fields. I guess google earth might have a few clues but you still have to walk to it in that muck. I have lost my shoes a few times in that stuff. So Q has you sold on that f75? It looks like you are doing well with it. Thanks for sharing another fun hunt. You seem to have a nice hunting partner.
HH
TnMtns

I'm glad to have such good hunting buddies. :) Yes, I'm sold on the F75. Will never go for anything else.

Cheers,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread