Military, AND SPANISH SILVER #14 For the Year!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Sit down and relax and I'm gonna told you a story. :D But what would a Louisiana detecting trip be without Music, Food, and Finds? So here's a soundtrack to this tale of triumph: a classic Louisiana tune. :wink:

Went out with DiggerGirl on a hunt and I got just about skunked (which is normal when a woman is along!). She dug a couple things, including eyeballing a nice clay pipe stem and digging a .75 cal musketball! This has got to be an oldie. I have never recovered a musketball that was this big. I also like the pottery piece that says "J.F. & Co" No clue about the date range of that, if it can be known. At any rate, most of the finds in this photo were hers, except for the strange curved piece of brass at 3 o'clock, the stange hook thingy below, and the spoon handle with...a doughboy on it?

0.jpg 0a.jpg

At any rate, my excuse was that I needed one more training day with the F75 before I was ready to rock. Well...the next hunt the F75 blew away the competition. Shanegalang joined DiggerGirl and I, and we did a little work on a spot we had all pounded to death. DG got a bronze nail and a single flat button, Shane got zilch, and I got the rest with the F75. :headbang:

When I walked out in that field, I dug a flat button right off the bat, then another one that was quite deep (10+ inches). Then I got a jumpy signal in the side of a row. Once I dug it out of the hole, it locked on in the mid 60s on the F75. I brushed some dirt aside and there it was!

1.jpg

I started the camera rolling!

An 1818 Ferdinand VII Half Real makes 14 for the year. At this point, with a month left, and some decent digging time over the holidays, we are gonna try to make 20 Spanish for 2012. :) We dug a bit longer, and I got some more flat buttons and a nice piece of what I think is an open-work shoe buckle (gold gilded). Please correct me if I'm wrong on that (finds photo below, bottom right).

Well, we were getting worn out and the other two were getting grumpy from not finding much, so we broke for lunch. Let me tell you, the best thing about Louisiana (besides the finds!) is the plate lunches! We had a shrimp stew, green beans, potato salad, and a roll. Then they brought us the BIGGEST bread puddings I'd ever seen!

2.jpg

After being stuffed with food, we got back in the field to burn it off! :D I dug a couple more bits, including one signal I felt sure would be good:

Oh well!

Later on I got a jumpy signal in the edge of a row, and out came a button! I knew it was pewter and could tell it had a design on it. I handed it to DiggerGirl and she said "It Says US On It!" Well that got my attention! This is another 1820s era pewter militia button. Much nicer than the plow damaged one I got earlier this year.

3.jpg

Eventually we called it a day and headed home. This is what the finds looked like:

4.jpg

Here's the pewter U.S. after soaking and careful cleaning:

5.jpg

And the front and back of the 1818 Half Real:

6.jpg

7.jpg

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting,

The CaneField Bandits

Cane Field Bandits cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 6

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
another successful day!

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Another fine day for the Canefield Bandits! The Spanish silver is actually a beauty, Buck. I do believe you dug a piece to a shoe buckle. It looks very similar. I just hope you dig that Spanish site. Bonanza!

I think the year is coming to an end for us. I got Kyle and I permission to hunt a local farm here. We still have two promising fields to hunt before the year ends. Passion Pumped!

Kirk

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt BB. :icon_thumright: Congrats on yet another Spanish silver, she's a beauty. Excellent US button too. :thumbsup: Loved the music, story and pics. (now I am hungry!)

HH

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another fine day for the Canefield Bandits! The Spanish silver is actually a beauty, Buck. I do believe you dug a piece to a shoe buckle. It looks very similar. I just hope you dig that Spanish site. Bonanza!

I think the year is coming to an end for us. I got Kyle and I permission to hunt a local farm here. We still have two promising fields to hunt before the year ends. Passion Pumped!

Kirk

You guys are going to lay waste to those two promising fields! Sad to hear that the year is coming to an end for you, but we'll do our best to post some eye candy for ya all winter long. :wink:

Cheers,

Buck

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man-O-Man,yall are on one!!!Its been a while since I have dug any Spanish Silver,glad someone is getting some!!As usual great work my friend!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Spanish half real and the pewter US. I'd take those two any day of the week!

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome finds as usual. Looks like someone was going to turn that 1/2 Reale into a 1/4 Reale and changed their mind.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds as usual. Looks like someone was going to turn that 1/2 Reale into a 1/4 Reale and changed their mind.

That mark on it is actually a plow strike. The coin was folded in half, and I heated it and gently bent it back. If a coin is very taco-shaped, I don't try this, but if the bend is slight I've had good luck with going ahead and doing it.

Cheers,

Buck

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very interesting......great finds

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
14 Spanish silvers for the year ! I just found my first and was thrilled with that. Great digs.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do the same thing all Reale celebrate with a good cake! :thumbsup:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like you had quite a day BB! Congrats on rescuing another fine piece of silver from the depths. You dun good!

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I dont care if you have dug fourteen or fourteen thousand spanish silvers, seeing one in the dirt is ALWAYS a rush:headbang: Congrats on some cool finds!

VPR

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, BB! I really like the handle with the dough boy...really cool! Loved the videos. One thing about LA, no matter where you eat a home style plate lunch, there's more than enough to eat. Bread pudding is my favorite, but I never had it with meringue on top...bet it was yummy.

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
I went home early that day because i knew if I hung around I would skunk you both. So thank me :) The next hunt I am in it for the long haul! Canefield Bandits strike again!! Shane........

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunt. I knew you'd like the F75. That is an unusual spoon end. I think your Doughboy guess has merit. Congrats on on The Reale. That bread pudding looks good enough to eat-LOL. HH, Q.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread