Military, AND SPANISH SILVER #14 For the Year!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Sit down and relax and I'm gonna told you a story. :D But what would a Louisiana detecting trip be without Music, Food, and Finds? So here's a soundtrack to this tale of triumph: a classic Louisiana tune. :wink:

Went out with DiggerGirl on a hunt and I got just about skunked (which is normal when a woman is along!). She dug a couple things, including eyeballing a nice clay pipe stem and digging a .75 cal musketball! This has got to be an oldie. I have never recovered a musketball that was this big. I also like the pottery piece that says "J.F. & Co" No clue about the date range of that, if it can be known. At any rate, most of the finds in this photo were hers, except for the strange curved piece of brass at 3 o'clock, the stange hook thingy below, and the spoon handle with...a doughboy on it?

0.jpg 0a.jpg

At any rate, my excuse was that I needed one more training day with the F75 before I was ready to rock. Well...the next hunt the F75 blew away the competition. Shanegalang joined DiggerGirl and I, and we did a little work on a spot we had all pounded to death. DG got a bronze nail and a single flat button, Shane got zilch, and I got the rest with the F75. :headbang:

When I walked out in that field, I dug a flat button right off the bat, then another one that was quite deep (10+ inches). Then I got a jumpy signal in the side of a row. Once I dug it out of the hole, it locked on in the mid 60s on the F75. I brushed some dirt aside and there it was!

1.jpg

I started the camera rolling!

An 1818 Ferdinand VII Half Real makes 14 for the year. At this point, with a month left, and some decent digging time over the holidays, we are gonna try to make 20 Spanish for 2012. :) We dug a bit longer, and I got some more flat buttons and a nice piece of what I think is an open-work shoe buckle (gold gilded). Please correct me if I'm wrong on that (finds photo below, bottom right).

Well, we were getting worn out and the other two were getting grumpy from not finding much, so we broke for lunch. Let me tell you, the best thing about Louisiana (besides the finds!) is the plate lunches! We had a shrimp stew, green beans, potato salad, and a roll. Then they brought us the BIGGEST bread puddings I'd ever seen!

2.jpg

After being stuffed with food, we got back in the field to burn it off! :D I dug a couple more bits, including one signal I felt sure would be good:

Oh well!

Later on I got a jumpy signal in the edge of a row, and out came a button! I knew it was pewter and could tell it had a design on it. I handed it to DiggerGirl and she said "It Says US On It!" Well that got my attention! This is another 1820s era pewter militia button. Much nicer than the plow damaged one I got earlier this year.

3.jpg

Eventually we called it a day and headed home. This is what the finds looked like:

4.jpg

Here's the pewter U.S. after soaking and careful cleaning:

5.jpg

And the front and back of the 1818 Half Real:

6.jpg

7.jpg

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting,

The CaneField Bandits

Cane Field Bandits cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 6
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont care if you have dug fourteen or fourteen thousand spanish silvers, seeing one in the dirt is ALWAYS a rush:headbang: Congrats on some cool finds!

VPR

VPR,

You are so right! Digging a Spanish is one of the greatest thrills that the hobby offers. Now I like digging coppers too, but now as we approach 40 silvers for the year, and only having dug one Large Cent and one Indian, I'm starting to think that copper coins were just not circulated down here! We are going to try and hit 20 for the year, because I think that'll be a milestone that we will never have a chance at reaching again... but then again, perhaps we'll find quality sites like these every year. I have no idea. All I know is that the research and search are both paying off finally.

Thanks for your reply my friend!

Best Wishes,

Buckles

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man-O-Man,yall are on one!!!Its been a while since I have dug any Spanish Silver,glad someone is getting some!!As usual great work my friend!!

I'd trade a couple Spanish for a gold coin :wink: Thanks for your reply, my friend! Keep me up-to-date on what you guys are digging. I really enjoy receiving e-mails with great photos and fantastic from you.

Cheers,

Buckles

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went home early that day because i knew if I hung around I would skunk you both. So thank me :) The next hunt I am in it for the long haul! Canefield Bandits strike again!! Shane........

You'd better hang around for the next hunt. I've already taken a weekday off from work, so let's get out there and destroy the fields. I want to see a three-Spanish day for us!

-Buck

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe during the Spring, the Cane Field Bandits would enjoy a trip up North. I know a few folks up here who would gladly extend hospitality and hunting sites. We have our fair share of Spanish, and Lots of coppers for you.

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Group of Finds! That is an Incredible count for Spanish Silver! I hope you guys reach 20!

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys never cease to amaze me. Great finds gentlemen..Great Finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions