Miller table question: Pros and cons of using glass.

johnnysau

Apr 23, 2012
Reno NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was watching a show which leads me to this question, glass has a high compression strength rating, though its tensile strength(twisting) is very low. Seems to me the surface would be excellent for a miller table as water spreads and runs very evenly on glass.
Pros and Cons on this subject would be appreciated. Thanks

johnnysau

Upvote 0

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
depends on type, tempered or anealed, tempered can not be cut and tends to warp in the heating process, anealed can be cut to any size, but will fracture depending on thickness DD or Double strenght is 1/8" common window pain but has a harder surface, then there is plate glass which is 1/4" thick and has a softer surface ?

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'morning Johnny, my friend, coffee? you are correct to a limited point. Remember the flow on a table needs to be 'directed' in order for a separation to take place. Also Glass has zero reserve from breakage, even from a dropped tool. If you are in an isolated area this would interrupt the recovery process until a replacement part can be brought in . The original tables used wood, which is generally quite efficient and easily replaceable.

One of the keys to effecient recovery is to be sure that all gold, especially the fines, is depressed below the surface of the liquid flow, I have found that floating a simple layer of plastic does this very nicely. No chemical expense is needed.

Don Jose de La Mancha.

p.s.Don't forget that glass is relatively soft and would be subject to rapid scouring which would negate what ever benefit that you would gain by it's original surface characteristic..

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not recommend glass, for all the reasons that Don Jose de La Mancha stated above!

GG~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread