Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to keep sand out...sand = excessive ware....and the little detent buttons that you use to adjust shaft will corrode with salt/dirt/sand. Just good practice i think.

Last edited:

Hddeuce03

Jul 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And remove the coil cover and clean out after every use, especially beach use.

Hddeuce03

Jul 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, a good many of us don't run a cover on the beach.

Why not? It won't hurt anything and can only help protect the coil...everyone I personally know uses the cover at all locations.

too_pointer

Apr 24, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro.
Garrett " Carrot " Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always use coil covers as I hunt mostly the woods. The huge ferns and sticks, and huckleberry brush, give the coils a beating
too) !

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not? It won't hurt anything and can only help protect the coil...everyone I personally know uses the cover at all locations.

Well there are several good reasons!

First, sand and minerals can easily enter the equinox coil cover when beach hunting. These trapped minerals can effect detecting performance faster than you think. I have seen issues happen in under 1/2 hour.

Second, those minerals and water can add weight to the coil and the Equinox already has coil ear problems. Keeping the cover off is a weight savings.

One can easily protect your coil if your rocky by adding a couple thin coats of Marine Epoxy. Notice my coil also has the middle supports removed for added weight savings and less coil drag. .

coil 3.jpg

Last edited:

Hddeuce03

Jul 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well there are several good reasons!

First, sand and minerals can easily enter the equinox coil cover when beach hunting. These trapped minerals can effect detecting performance faster than you think. I have seen issues happen in under 1/2 hour.

Second, those minerals and water can add weight to the coil and the Equinox already has coil ear problems. Keeping the cover off is a weight savings.

One can easily protect your coil if your rocky by adding a couple thin coats of Marine Epoxy. Notice my coil also has the middle supports removed for added weight savings and less coil drag. .

View attachment 1931882

Interesting! To each their own I guess. I hunt a lot in the water (with my coil cover on) and have never had it interfere with my detecting and it's never heavy. I've also never had an issue with the coil ears (don't use a protector), and hopefully I didn't just jinx myself!

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My shaft completely froze up after one hunt at the beach and thats the way its been for two+ years. Luckily it still barely fits in the trunk. I was aware that sand could build up in there so I hosed it after every use but one hunt It wouldn't budge and I have never bothered with it since. I do clean out under the cover after beach use. I already broke and repaired my coil ears. One of the buttons to adjust the shaft length is completely gone so I just drilled a tiny hole and used the metal spring to fasten the rods together. It was a quick field repair but I'm leaving it alone until it breaks further. Theres no right or wrong way to do mods. I used to like to armor up my detectors and the leads where they bend and flex the most at the headphone wire terminal, coil lead low by the coil etc. with wire wrap and electrical tape. I still think this is advisable since thats the first spot to break and delaminate.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't taken my coil cover off in months. Never had a problem with debris between it and the coil causing a problem, and we have some nasty black sand here in places. What I did do was to drill a series of holes in the cover so sand, dirt, and other crud will flush out when I wash the detector down after use, so, I assume that has helped in that respect. I mainly drilled the holes for ease of cleaning and weight reduction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread