My new Nox 600!

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec II, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Received my new Nox 600 last week! Went out in my old homestead site that I hunted with my Tesoro and used one of the coin programs that I saw on-line. No coins but found a heap of tins (somebody at this homesite LOVED potted meat) and aluminum hitting at 21/22, a brass spigot and some dish pottery shards that registered. Having a great time with the wireless headphones, so nice not to have to take them off when you want to walk away for a bit. Can't wait to try the new machine in other places but the homestead is a great learning site to figure this out.

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happy Hunting!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't exactly "figure it out". With any type or brand new machine take a look at the instruction manual and use a factory present ONLY for a few weeks. THEN look at making any changes. If you tweak a machine when you first get it you set yourself up for failure.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't exactly "figure it out". With any type or brand new machine take a look at the instruction manual and use a factory present ONLY for a few weeks. THEN look at making any changes. If you tweak a machine when you first get it you set yourself up for failure.
This is very good advice. I rarely mess with the settings and use just factory presets on all my detectors. I may adjust
Sensitivity a little here and there but that’s it. Factory settings in mild soil are surprisingly good.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also got a Nox 600 last week, which probably now automatically excludes me from the Luddite Society. A rare nasty deep gash to my hand has kept me from rushing out to play with it. But that has been an opportunity to read the manual (online), register the warranty, and read parts of Andy Sabisch's excellent book on the Equinox. I highly recommend reading these but hey, what do I know - I also tell people to read the owner's manuals for their new vehicles that clearly list the correct specs for maintenance parts and fluids...

Enjoy that new machine! Did you get the free wireless headphones (Minelab promotion) too?

BTW, I do NOT recommend deeply cutting your hand to keep you from rushing right out to play with the new detector..

OP
OP
Cuda74

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I did start with the factory setting, Park1 and I was picking up all sorts of things. Just decided to try to filter out a few things on my second search. I will go back to the regular settings. I did find the bezel for what was either a pocket watch or a timer, will post a photo shortly.

My neighbor told me that the area I search was her families old home that she moved into in 1962 and the house was already old then, maybe a 100 years. I've shown her most of the things I've found and gotten some really good stories out of it. The old WWII cartridges I posted a bit back were ones that she and her brothers picked up while they were combing through an old Army site not too far away when they were kids. The crown button on another post was her Granddaddy's. Keep trying to get her to show me a photo of the old house, but no luck so far.

Regards

OP
OP
Cuda74

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Don,
I did get the wireless headphone promotion as well. Got a great deal from Ed at Treasure Mountain along with some great advice. Sorry about your hand, hope you get out soon, it's very hot and humid here now but won't deter me for long.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son's house dates to 1832 - at least the oldest part. He does have photos of it from the 1930's but the pics haven't been very useful to metal detecting, except to see that tobacco was grown almost up to the house. I chuckled at your potted meat remark because the most common find I have made there has been cans that are shaped like spam or vienna sausage cans and their lids. Happy hunting!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Don,
I did get the wireless headphone promotion as well. Got a great deal from Ed at Treasure Mountain along with some great advice. Sorry about your hand, hope you get out soon, it's very hot and humid here now but won't deter me for long.

The lesson about injuries in the field is that if you never bring along a first aid kit then bring along someone who does and who does not freak out over a fair bit of blood. I usually hunt alone (detecting and in this case fossil hunting) but invited a young lady who wanted to learn where to find fossil shark teeth. I realized I was lucky to have her there and was happy that she had some success with the teeth including a nice mako from the miocene.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love both my Knox 800 and 600. Once you get used to it, you'll dig deeper. I'm very happy with the depth, myself and others are routinely hitting 10" Indians and barbers. best advice go low, and slow. Scrub the ground with the coil. Go slow enough to be able to hear the tone on every target. Use 50 tones, once you get used to them you'll love. And always turn on your signal and recheck, if it disappears or changes to a grunt or negative VDI it's junk. When your digging 10"+ targets your at the bottom of the coils range so you will not get a steady VDI, but you will get a steady tone it will sound nice and steady from all directions. Good luck and hope some of this helps.

MackDog

OP
OP
Cuda74

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, appreciate the info.

rogue

Mar 11, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
fisher f70,f75se,t2se,f22,f2,at pro, xp deus, nox 800, whites TDI sl special edition
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dig the aluminum out...under that modern layer of trash is a bunch of masked relics and coins....:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread