Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if a comparison here is apples to apples or apples to oranges, but...
Looking to buy an underwater detector sometime this year.
Mostly to be used for fresh water, but I do get to the salt water a couple times per year.
I have an MXT for dry sand or hard ground areas. But, I would use my new one for it too, if applicable.

I realize the AT Pro is half the price of the Excal, but wondering if the Excal is worth the extra $.
Does the Excal work in both fresh or salt water/wet sand? AT Pro?
Thanks

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By all means get the Excal as it is well worth it. The Excal will detect a gold ring under a railroad spike unlike the one frequency AT Pro. The Excal is also deeper and can still pick up earring backs and studs. The Excal can also go deeper than 10 feet in the water. Can be used in fresh and salt water and wet saltwater sand. Some can use the AT pro at some saltwater beaches but salt concentrations and black sand vary on all salt beaches and the AT Pro can be unstable.

OP
OP
TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Sandman. I don't think I'll be diving with it, unless I drop it into a deep hole. Does the excal work in dry areas, i.e. old homestead sites, etc. ?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Sandman. I don't think I'll be diving with it, unless I drop it into a deep hole. Does the excal work in dry areas, i.e. old homestead sites, etc. ?
Yes it works fine in dry areas. The only draw back it it is heavier it being a water proof detector.

OP
OP
TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotcha, thanks again.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy owns both. He now opts for the Excal II when beach and surf detecting. Connector corrosion on the AT Pro and the fact you can chest and belt mount the Excal II were big reasons. He felt he could find more with the Excal II.

Note: I know another guy who uses the Excal II all the time. He found a Washington Inaugural button with it. He said he does not think it is too heavy.

Ed D.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you already have a good land machine, I would go with Excal. It's a true water machine for your freshwater hunting and will be much better choice for your twice a year saltwater venture.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have to keep asking our selves if our time is worth it while using a detector that isn't up to the task at hand. The Excal is an excellent water detector and can tell the difference between iron junk and good targets under the coil at the same time. Other none Minelab detectors disc out the junk and the good target gets masked out so you don't even know it is there. Plus it is twice as deep as the AT Pro and won't leak just under the surface. AT Pro says its water proof to 10 feet. That is only one third of an atmosphere pressure or 4 lbs. A wave can be way over that and so can a garden hose while washing it off from being used in saltwater.

Also you could look into the Fisher 1280. 1280-X.jpeg

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was in your situation earlier this year and pondered some of the same questions. In the end I think you are much better going for one land machine and one water machine. I ended up with a Silver uMax for land and a Tiger Shark for freshwater hunting. I have used the Tiger Shark on land but it's best use is in the water. In the end I think I am way better off with two dedicated machines. Now it is time to add a couple more!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread