Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware of this myself.
I've really been expecting this of a couple U.S. detector firms (eventually all of them).

I haven't any knowledge of "Codan communications."

Maybe better days ahead or down the tubes? Any comments?

gary in idaho

May 7, 2008
Hi Badger, from what I've heard so far some people are complaining about turn over on repairs. I think they may have reduced the # of people in Vegas at their repair center, I believe I read this somewhere after the takeover. It would be ashame if the new owners ran the company into the ground trying to cut costs, I guess we will find out in a year or 2.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Yep it is old news.

You have to remember that hobby detectors were just one portion of Minelab's business. It's countermine research probably gives it an edge compared to other companies.

Some folks thought that the early release of the GP 4500 was mainly to make Minelab more
attractive in market value.

Minelab's new GP4500's have had a lot of problems and I hope this is because of a premature release instead of a preview of things to come.

I do not believe that the Explorer SE is the latest VLF Minelab has developed. I believe back in their labs one or two higher level models are already being tested. Minelab is famous for drip feeding technology a little at a time which is mainly a marketing/investment approach.

People were laughing at Badger ;D ;D ;D I do agree with him in that the low end with be dominated by imports in the future. However, what's missing from this equation?

VLF technology which is the basis of the hobby market has reached the end of the road. The advent of new technology which means high end which is not easily duplicated and mass produced overseas will be a factor. Not exactly any Chinese competition for Minelab's GP 4500. Do I feel that American companies will be able to introduce this new level of technology? I don't know? We get the same old old technology with slight improvements in each new detector. Perhaps the main reason is the mass market says "$1300 is the limit for a coin/relic detector"?

I expect the introduction of new technology to be from individuals who have spend many years developing their technology. I saw Allan W. patent for a new level PI recently. Perhaps American companies will be left in the dust?

George

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Bakergeol ......is right it is old news most of us knew about it the day it happned.............But there service stinks now .....You call Minelab with a question now it is hard to get a answer fast they tell me when i call with a question only one person there can answer the question now. Then comes the run around he is out to lunch...he is in a meeting ...What a pain in the azz............................................==Jim_K==

OP
OP
Coin Digger

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two points to make about buy outs and and the flood of cheap detectors.

1st: I was part of a company that was put up for sell and the morale sunk to all time lows, people where on edge and it was just plain ugly. The sell fell through and corporate has tried to make a mends with the people, but it will never return to the days of pride and quality workmanship.

2nd: All you have to do is look at Ebay, and look at the number of cheap imports being sold verse quality built detectors being sold to find your proof.

It's a race to the bottom to make the most money.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Recently I took note of the number of low cost imports selling on ebay and was really surprised. It's even far greater than I expected. And too I noticed that nearly all are happy with their purchase.

I know of at least two of us here who buy both the big name brands and low cost imports who really like the imports. I'm not ready to take the cheap imports over Minelabs, Tesoro, or Whites--no, not by a long shot. But I have found at least one model to work very well for me in certain situations.

But still today if I had to choose only one machine it would still be the old Minelab Sovereign GT. The Explorer XS is also excellent but the GT is simpler and has a better balance (in my opinion).

Anyway, my work calls and it's getting near time to leave here for a time again. Soon our detecting will be over for this year anyway.

No matter what machine a person uses, still the biggest thing is location.

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread