cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, would anyone know when the battery for the excal 2 is fully charged? There is no indicator light that I can find. Battery in question has not been charged for like 2 years. I am planning on ordering a new one but what's the general rule when determining if these batteries are fully charged?

Your batteries are probably fine.

Most NiMH batteries can be stored uncharged for long periods of time.
However, to get these uncharged batteries back up to their full capacities usually takes at least 2 or 3 charge/discharge cycles.

You really can't go just by the voltage (other than knowing it's dead or won't accept a charge). The discharge curve for NiMH can "fool" you because they are much better at holding on to a voltage right up until the very end - unlike some other battery chemistries that drop their terminal voltages in a more predictable fashion as the battery discharges.

In other words: your NiMH will read "x" voltage right up until the time it is about to need recharging. Therefore, you never really know how much "time" is left on a given charge (without some fancy electronics or software algorithms to measure it.) You might find the battery dies pretty quickly with only a 2 hour charge. But, give it few full charge/discharge cycles and you'll see that storing the battery uncharged for a long period of time hasn't really damaged it in any meaningful way.

Keep in mind however, that ALL NiMH type batteries do have a useful lifetime to them.
You can expect a lot of charge/recharge cycles - often in the hundreds or low thousands of cycles before the battery needs to be replaced.
Until then, expect 10%-15% capacity reduction overall.
Most likely, you would never even notice this. And it's normal anyway.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread