Minelab Explorer SE vs Whites DFX

MikeSD

May 28, 2007
First let me tell a little about myself and what I plan to use these for. I've retired from one job already and am thinking about retiring for good in a year or two. That puts me in the early 60s. ;D

I suspect that I would mostly use these for searching in most of the usual places (beach, parks, etc) but I also want to dabble at nugget hunting along rivers and in non-water areas like one might find in AZ. I also have an interest in history and would like to take a stab and searching old towns and and such for relics.

I am a working Electrical Design Engineer and the technology of these is of academic interest as well (i.e. I like gadgets). I don't think I will have any problem with any learning curve for each, from a technical point of view. How they are best used, from a practical point of view, is something that my background won't help on. ;) However, I also think MD'ing will be good exercise in my retirement and it gives me a lot of things to do on trips.

I have also considered starting with one of the lower priced units like the Ace 250 but decided I don't really want to start there. I have done that before on other activities and have found over the years that I always tend to prefer to buy the best I can find at a specified limit. However I have also ruled out anything over $1500.

I will be purchasing one of these two (DFX or SE), in the coming days. I have read the specifications and like some things on both. Both seem like fine machines based on specs. I also like the many frequencies of the SE and the EPROM features of the DFX. I think having the ability to save tweaked settings might be useful. I think either would serve me well.

However, I think the pros and cons of each aren't covered in any of their specifications. I think those are best gained by talking to those that have actually used them.

So, from a practical point of view, what are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks
Mike

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Yaquina

Greenie
Jun 14, 2006
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, DFX, Surfmaster PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my experience the DFX is the superior detector, but only in the hands of someone who knows how to use it. It can be difficult to learn how to use, but once you figure it out it is great. I have hunted next to various Minelab users and ALWAYS have had better results. Of course there are a lot of diehard Minelab owners who would disagree, so take this for what it is. It is just my opinion based on my experience.

Best to all, Yaquina

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Yaquina said:
In my experience the DFX is the superior detector, but only in the hands of someone who knows how to use it. It can be difficult to learn how to use, but once you figure it out it is great. I have hunted next to various Minelab users and ALWAYS have had better results. Of course there are a lot of diehard Minelab owners who would disagree, so take this for what it is. It is just my opinion based on my experience.

Best to all, Yaquina

No Yaquina...I think you are right! ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first and only detector is my DFX, I've had it a couple of years. I only briefly tried an SE and thought it seemed heavy. I like the fact that there are several good books out about the DFX and a website dedicated to the DFX (dfxonly.com). There is lots of technical information available. There are a lot of optional coils available. The second annual DFX hunt was held this spring in Lisbon, OH and 40 or so md'ers were there. Plans are being made for the 3rd next year. I love the machine and have a lot of good finds.

I would like to try an SE sometime.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Schrecky said:
My first and only detector is my DFX, I've had it a couple of years. I only briefly tried an SE and thought it seemed heavy. I like the fact that there are several good books out about the DFX and a website dedicated to the DFX (dfxonly.com). There is lots of technical information available. There are a lot of optional coils available. The second annual DFX hunt was held this spring in Lisbon, OH and 40 or so md'ers were there. Plans are being made for the 3rd next year. I love the machine and have a lot of good finds.

I would like to try an SE sometime.

The dfx classroom (findmall)is good also, I like it better than dfx only because your questions get answered right away and posting pictures is easier. :)

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
I have the Explorer II and a DFX I use the DFX most of the time the Explorer is a little deeper but the ID is way off some times and it is heaver than he!!. Tone ID is good on Explorer II but the screen to me is off a good bit of the time. DfX is Right on 99% of the time on ID.

Yaquina

Greenie
Jun 14, 2006
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, DFX, Surfmaster PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess one thing that you could take from the whole "Minelab is better / Whites is better" argument is that they must be awful close to have such strong proponents on either side, so you really cannot go wrong with either one. Just learn what you can about the machine you get, then use, use it, then use it some more.

Best, Mike

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't stop 'em. I was just microwaving another bowl of popcorn. :D

The guy who knows his DFX will show up someone who isn't good with their Explorer SE.

The user who knows his Exp SE will wipe the ground with the DFX user who is inept.

They are both excellent units, but life is full of compromises and you have to decide which, if either, does what you want in a way you will approve.

My Mommy always said:
"Learn to live with what you've got and you won't need what you have not."

Dad said:
"A fool and his money are soon parted."

Moral - taking the time to learn the detector and your soil, targets, areas of best potential searching pays off better than trying to buy success with a detector you're constantly frustrated with because it's overly complicated or sensitive.

There is another quality of detectors I haven't seen mentioned above. A good detector should teach you as you use it. A bad one requires a lot of knowledge before it can be used effectively. Everyone has a different level of patience and time they are willing to expend before they begin to get discouraged.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I know this thread is a little old but since I am considering these two detectors for future purchases I wanted to resurrect this thread. I also wanted to get any input other new users might have.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
The Explorer is actually lighter than the DFX.. But the DFX owners still claim that as a selling point for DFXs.... I believe the DFX is slightly more balanced than the SE, which gives the feeling its lighter.

Either machine is a great machine, but they both have a steep learning curve. The SE might be a little better on that side because the factory presets are totally fine for turn on and go detecting, don't know about the DFX factory presets....

Either one you buy you won't go wrong.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your studying test reports make certain that coil sizes are matched.
Don't forget the SE is not everyones favourite Explorer, some have moved back to the Mk 2 where you can pick up a bargain from those who have to keep up with the Jones and have the latest version of everything.
Tommybumkin on the Explorer forum has made many good posts and has often recommended the keeping of both the Explorer and the DFX, as he has. Think he did post that he regretted making the move to the SE only recently.
I prefer the Sovereign to the Explorer myself and you could go secondhand and get both the Whites and the Minelab for the price of a new SE.
Re weight and balance what Dave says is true. You can pad up the Explorer armrest an inch or two and really improve the balance but its still a triumph of style over good design. It could have been boxed as per the Sovereign which would have allowed a chest mount for those who needed it or copied the old Whites Liberty design which managed a similar style plastic control box without the drawbacks of the Explorers.

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Mike SD

DFX users will say take the DFX, Explorer Users will say take the Explorer. Some DFX users have a complex about Explorers for some reason?? I have had both and sold my DFX because FOR ME it just didn't go deep enough, but can also say I didn't give more time to learn. Just because its top of the line doesn't mean it works for every one. I doubt you could go wrong either way. A Shadow X-5 might work for you as well. When I first started in 1983 you didn't have many chioces and fewer out there to help a new guy. Until this year I have had a Whites detector of some kind. I now have the Ace 250 for clad, 2 Explorers for hunting relics/deep silver(when I get the chance) and am looking to get a Tesoro Tiger Shark for the water. As far as complaints about the Minelab, one can go and find someone complaining about any detector. You have to check and see how long the person has detectoed, how long he has owned the Explorer and a host of other reasons. Frustration can make a person vent when he needs help. So you have to look at the whole picture and not a "list". But I am from a family of Explorer users too. My dad(75), sister, nephew all use Explorers, my great-nephew is a whites guy usuing a Classic ID. Both my hunting partners use Whites, one a DFX, the other the XLT. The guy with the XLT as far as clad count(he cherry picks) has great totals, having over 1000 quarters and dimes both. He also hunts seven days a week and from 4-8 hours depending on how he feels. My friend with his DFX is older(70ish) and he just hunts mornings and has success in both silver and clad. I have seen you have purchased the DFX and I wish you success. A good detector is as good as the person using it!!! Research is your best friend!! Good Luck!! As a side the SE is not my favorite Explorer either. It doesn't give me added depth and since I dig everything deep it didn't convince me to fork over that much money!

DR

Feb 22, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX, Excal 1000
Mike I am glad you asked this question...do you want my top ten list of complaints from the mouths of explorer users??? if so let me know and I will post here for you...and remember explorer users these points are not debatable with me they came from the mouths of whining explorer users...so if you want just say so and i will write their dirty laundry list on this post..

As far as the dfx goes here are 10 reasons to buy>
1. pinpointing is dead accurate
2. The dfx is like a vacuum with coins (you do have to dig though)
3. Depth readings are accurate....
4. Programs are limitless
5. touch and go programs for the beginner
6. great on the beach as well as land...
7. whites customer service will bend over backwards to support you!
8. If you decide you don't like transferable warranty and great resale value
9. well balanced
10. Great assortment of coils which continues to grow with the new super 12 coil that just came out...

What he said.
DFX rules!
DR

Scott (Upstate NY)

Mar 24, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Classic III, Surf PI, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my experiences(I have owned both), the explorer yields deeper coins while the Whites is a bit more user friendly concerning ability to customize programs

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
GET BOTH OF THEM.

Seriously. If you pick up either of these machines used you will be able to sell them for 90% of what you paid for them. I like trying detectors for the sake of trying them. If I use them for 6 months and loose $50 I feel it is worth it. Most likely though you will keep them both.

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions