dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it worth the money, depends how much you talking. I personally believe used explorers are the best value in metaldetecting. They will find coin as deep or deeper than any detector out there. If you learn it and use the right coil for the site it will do better than most.

OP
OP
hunting for Wheaties
Aug 14, 2013
NC
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, Tecknetics delta 4000 (do not get)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it worth the money, depends how much you talking. I personally believe used explorers are the best value in metaldetecting. They will find coin as deep or deeper than any detector out there. If you learn it and use the right coil for the site it will do better than most.

Thanks man

mcockrell

Greenie
Apr 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't get why they cost so much. I picked up a 305 at a pawn shop for around $180 and used it for a weekend. It did a great job. I ended up having to take it back because the keypad had an issue and ML said it would cost around $100 to fix. That wasn't an issue with minelab tho (I think it got wet as the water dot inside was red).

For the short time I used it it worked pretty well. I really liked the way it does pinpointing. It found me a gold ring and lots of clad. But...only having 14 segments?? That's ridiculous. Of course you are going to get a ton of overlap (different things reading as the same number) because there are literally only 14 numbers to choose from. The scale goes from -4 to 44 but the numbers only increment by 4. So there is no 21 or 35 or 43. There are literally only 14 numbers that every metal object on the planet could be.

That doesn't make sense at all to me. And I hated the constant threshold tone. It makes a constant tone whether you are getting a hit or not. It just makes a different tone when you get a hit. It's very annoying and pretty much forces you to use headphones.

I have no idea why they are double the price of a fisher f2 and over $100 more than a teknetics delta. I understand it has ground balance and if you live in an area with crappy ground then I could see it. But most people don't. Both the f2 and the delta have 0-100 scales that increment every 1 number. So there are 100 possible number choices. 14 is a joke for that much money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread