Xterra 305 problem

mcockrell

Greenie
Apr 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys.

Purchased an xterra 305 from a local pawn shop over the weekend. Took it for a test drive and it yielded me my best day so far. My first gold ring! Along with a ton of clad coins. I'm really digging the pinpoint mode on it. It's a lot better to me than the delta 4000 my wife uses.

After hunting for a few hours I got a hit and pressed the pp button and it powered completely off. After messing around with it a few minutes I realized that if you hit ANY button it powered completely off. Strange thing was that pressing the power button did not turn it off. I reseated the coil cable, same thing. Pulled the batteries out and replaced with brand new ones, same thing. I thought maybe it was overheated (it was blistering hot here today) so I sat it in the shade and turned it off and let it sit for about half an hour. Powered it on, and sadly, same problem. If you mess around with it long enough the problem goes away for a while but it will come again eventually.

When I got home I took it apart to see if maybe it had some loose connections or something. All I saw was that there is a large capacitor in it that looked to be slightly leaking. It looks all of the button functions are housed inside of a bezel that you can't really take apart. So I'm gonna try to maybe soak it some contact cleaner or something. I don't know if it got wet or dirt inside of it or what.

I was wondering if anyone here has had a similar issue and if anyone had any ideas on how to fix it. Internet search yielded no results. Also, tried putting the serial in the warranty database on the minelab site and it couldn't find it. So I'm guessing that means its out of warranty. I really like the detector so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

MC

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call minelab with serial number if your lucky it is still under warranty. Minelab warranties are transferable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread