Minelab ProFind vs Garrett ProPointer

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

attempted recovery

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't really expect the pro pointer or a pro find to be as sensitive as they are and not off with pressure. It's a catch 22 thing.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree with you, sensitivity and pressure go hand in hand with these pin pointers they are very sensitive, therefore i just handle mine with kid gloves ( very soft pressure) when using it. And it will absolutely find the smallest of metal. My post earlier was to just share my experience about garrett customer service "that was horrible", but maybe the customer service rep i talked to was just exhausted and needed some downtime.

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mine doesnt have to be that sensitive, just reliable, and I want one that discriminates iron, that way if there is iron in the ground and a coin my pinpointer doesn't go crazy!!!

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
.....when i contacted garrett's customer service about it the lady customer rep was horrible. Her first action was to talk down to me like i was an idiot, sorta like she was trying to trick me into saying i did something to cause the problem, (which i did not),when she realized that wasn't her best course of travel all she had to say was send it to us, if it is under warranty we will look at it. in the last 25 years of my metal detecting hobby i have owned a few garrett products and i am not brand specific, but because of this lady rep. i may never own another. I thought i would just share my experience about garrett customer sevice.
I alerted Garrett's customer service about your problem with the call.. Hopefully they will rectify the situation.. May give them another call.. Brad, Sue, or Sharon will definitely take care of you. They all detect so they will understand. To be honest that is the first time I have ever heard anything negative about Garrett's CS, sorry you got the bad response... good luck bud...
Evan

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will talk to one of them, thanks for the referral!! I'm just going to buy the new minelab and give my propointer to my hunting buddy cause he can't afford one.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
The Propointer is a hunk of crap. Look how many have been sent back for repair. Where is the quality control? Just like a lemon of a used car, works great right when you get it and then it's money down the drain.

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have to agree with you, it worked awesome at first, but now it sucks!!

attempted recovery

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
evan,

Thank you for your response, it is very appreciated, i was going to "just live with" the pro-pointers problems because it is a quality pin-pointer and i figured out a way to go around the "glitches" so far.
"if the "glitches" don't get out of hand" i'll be okay. I am not any bit anxious about giving garrett customers service another call because i absolutely did not not like their first response to me. I have never had any dealings with garrett customer service before and i am not sure why i got the scolding i got, and you say it is the first time you ever heard anything negative about garrett customer service, but i guess there is a first time for everything. by the way do you in anyway represent garrett? not that it matters.

sincerely, james

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
evan,

Thank you for your response, it is very appreciated,
No problem.. just hate to hear people having problems detecting, just like to help out when I can...

.....and you say it is the first time you ever heard anything negative about garrett customer service, but i guess there is a first time for everything. by the way do you in anyway represent garrett? not that it matters. sincerely, james
No Sir. The Garrett headquarters is a bout an hour and 10 mins from where I live. So, I have hunted with Steve "Dilla" Moore several times, but other than that, I am not affiliated with them nor do I represent them in any way other than I love the AT's and the ProPointers, and appreciate what Mr. Charles has done for the hobby. I have had a Garrett detector of some sort since 1984/85 when I bought my first VLF/TR discriminator. I have been using/buying their detectors and have had detectors break down as they all do, no matter what brand. Although I hunt with other detectors, and have heard bad about them all, Garrett is one that I have not. Their Customer Service is second to none..Tesoro is another, but, again no, I haven't ever heard about bad CS from them.. Don't know what happened but it I think it is about as rare as finding a Platinum coin. Sorry bout your misfortune. Good luck in the future, Bud..
Evan

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
Saving My Pennies ...........

For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gonna bump this thread to get some up to date thoughts on these two side by side.

I am looking to buy probably a Minelab X-Terra 705 and all depending on where I buy it from there is the Pro-Find option or Pro-Pointer option in the package deals all depending where I purchase from.

Really I know they are VERY comparable but I would like to see what you all think as of late on the pros and cons of these two units and if you have used both please let us know which you like better and why.

Thanks guys and I look forward to seeing some up to date thoughts on these bad boys and how they compare! :)

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If I was buying a minelab machine I would also buy the minelab pinpointer

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own the white's, the minelab, and the garretts. That is also how I rate them white's for me is the best, the minelab is second, and a distant third place for the garrett.

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm a whites guy but never used their pinpointer. But whites is by far the best in the business when it comes to quality and service

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own the white's, the minelab, and the garretts. That is also how I rate them white's for me is the best, the minelab is second, and a distant third place for the garrett.

So you feel the Minelabs are better then the Garrett?

I read nothing but the highest of high praise for the pro-pointer hands down ... so this rating seems odd to me.

I would have thought the order would be the opposite then you had stated really.

The whites is not even something I am considering but I do have the option for the Garret or Minelab ... but like Hollywood said ... heck if I'm gonna buy a Minelab might as well get the Minelab.

I just want to make sure the Minelab is hands down just as good as the Garrett if not better before I bay a couple bucks more for it.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I also own the same pointers and would put them in the same order as dirtscratcher except knowing now what I have found out I would eliminate the Garrett and add the Vulcan to the lineup. With the Garrett decision you are playing against the odds that it will have at least one failure and in my case my Garrett failed twice in a very short time. Putting the cost of returning it and insurance two times, I spent more than the initial cost the Whites or minelab which neither have failed. The Minelab had a very hard year and the whites now several weeks. So choose a unit based on longevity not cost.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
My opnion is that both the whites and the minelab are great copies of the Garrett Pro Pointer.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gonna bump this thread to get some up to date thoughts on these two side by side.

I am looking to buy probably a Minelab X-Terra 705 and all depending on where I buy it from there is the Pro-Find option or Pro-Pointer option in the package deals all depending where I purchase from.

Really I know they are VERY comparable but I would like to see what you all think as of late on the pros and cons of these two units and if you have used both please let us know which you like better and why.

Thanks guys and I look forward to seeing some up to date thoughts on these bad boys and how they compare! :)
Falconman man I have a Minelab 505 and got the Pro-find as part of a package deal when I bought from Kellyco. I haven't had any problems from it at all and am pretty hard on it. My husband has a similarly priced Garrett pinpointer and he has had some problems with the contact being sketchy.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you feel the Minelabs are better then the Garrett?

I read nothing but the highest of high praise for the pro-pointer hands down ... so this rating seems odd to me.

I would have thought the order would be the opposite then you had stated really.

The whites is not even something I am considering but I do have the option for the Garret or Minelab ... but like Hollywood said ... heck if I'm gonna buy a Minelab might as well get the Minelab.

I just want to make sure the Minelab is hands down just as good as the Garrett if not better before I bay a couple bucks more for it.
If you have read nothing negative about the garrett you have not looked very hard. I've been through two first one worked for a couple months and started falsing bad. Garrett replaces it with one that did exactly the same thing. The switch started sticking and you have to take the rubber cover off and flick the switch to get it to turn off. I've had no problem at all with the minelab, so I really don't understand how this would seem odd to you.

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab it is !!!

I'm buying a Minelab detector so it would only make sense to get the Pro-Find anyway.

I just wanted to make sure it was a good pointer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions