Minelab Sold !

r49miner

Sep 12, 2006
Idaho
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talk about being in the dark, I feel like a mushroom. I was looking at Minelab to maybe purchase one in the near future but the prices are way out there and after reading these two articles, I think I'll pass.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,25693595-5003680,00.html

http://coindetector.com/news/Minelab+potential+up+under+Codan+control-n-1038.html

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strawboss said:
Talk about being in the dark, I feel like a mushroom. I was looking at Minelab to maybe purchase one in the near future but the prices are way out there and after reading these two articles, I think I'll pass.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,25693595-5003680,00.html

http://coindetector.com/news/Minelab+potential+up+under+Codan+control-n-1038.html

The Codan news is old news.....

I currently own 4 Minelabs, 2 Excal 1000's, one with a WOT coil, and 2 Sovereign GTs, also one with a WOT coil....I bought all 4 used, and would not hesitate to buy another if the price is right. Why don't you look into a good used Excal, it holds it value and is a fantastic detector...............

OP
OP
r49miner

r49miner

Sep 12, 2006
Idaho
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have just resently started detecting, so it was new news to me. Getting rid of almost all of your talent, engeneers and moving the factory to Malaysia just might not be the best for the New Minlab detectors they are putting out there. The used ones on the other hand were made in the U.S. or Ireland. It is my opinion that the new ones won't be as good as the old ones. I could be wrong that's why I gave the URL so people can make up there own minds and do further research if they want to.

digluv

Dec 7, 2009
Hard times are causing everyone to look for a fast and surer buck.

If the economy doesn't make a big turn for the better soon, look for more top brands to have stickers inside that read "Made In China."

You were right MB.

digluv

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
digluv said:
Hard times are causing everyone to look for a fast and surer buck.

If the economy doesn't make a big turn for the better soon, look for more top brands to have stickers inside that read "Made In China."

You were right MB.

digluv

I doubt you will ever see that sticker on a White's, although many of the components may be from the far east.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SB,

I didn't mean to appear like I was jumping on you for your post, I wasn't, my apologies if it appeared I was. There were a lot of posts last year About ML being sold to Codan when the sale happen.

The truth is a lot of the electronics that go in most detectors come from Asia, they may be assembled in the states or Australia, but fact is a lot of the electronics that go in them come for Asia. Tesoro stop producing the Tigershark for awhile because they couldn't get a certain electronic componet for it from Asia. Labor is cheaper there, no way around it.

I haven't researched it, but I highly doubt there is a detector sold in this country that is 100% American made......

I would not hesitate to buy another Minelab, but I only buy used detectors now. I let the original buyer absorb the depreation on it. I have $600 in my new/used Excal that I picked up in Mid-October, and that price includes the WOT coil, custom straight haft and splice kit supplies to put the WOT coil own. I also have enough supplies left over to make part of another straight shaft so next shaft will only cost me about $10 to make.

My personal advice, look for a good used Excal, take the money you save and use it on a good scoop, and WOT coil or straight shaft....

Good luck and good hunting.....................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread