Spell Check Error

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
Ok, so I had an idea. I would get some counties names, and put the first letter in lowercase. The spell check fixed most of the capitalization errors, but some countries were left alone. What's up with that? For example, here is the list of the countries that the spell check skipped over, even when they were in lowercase.

china
denmark
finland
germany
ireland
japan
morocco
netherlands
norway
poland

But, a lot of other countires were noticed by spell check, and fixed. I don't know if you could call this"racist", but it might offend some people because their country wasn't capitalized.

OP
OP
Coins4Cheese

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Re: "Racist" Spell Cheak Error

Well, I could understand about China, because that's also what some plates, cups, and other things are made out of.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "Prejudice" Spell Cheak Error

Coins4Cheese said:
Ok, so I had an idea. I would get some counties names, and put the first letter in lowercase. The spell check fixed most of the capitalization errors, but some countries were left alone. What's up with that? For example, here is the list of the countries that the spell check skipped over, even when they were in lowercase.

china
denmark
finland
germany
ireland
japan
morocco
netherlands
norway
poland

But, a lot of other countires were noticed by spell check, and fixed. I don't know if you could call this"racist", but it might offend some people because their country wasn't capitalized.

How would a flaw in a spell check program be considered Racist?

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero

If you don't cap your own country name, that's your fault. Don't blame spell check.

I thought that was what we went to school for. :tongue3:

Sorry, I had to say that. I too have noticed spell check doesn't work on some misspelled words. :tongue3:

I keep Websters handy when posting. :thumbsup:

I jist spell chacked my reply so if there aire any words spalled incorrectly it's not my feult.

OP
OP
Coins4Cheese

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used

RPG said:
If you don't cap your own country name, that's your fault. Don't blame spell check.

I thought that was what we went to school for. :tongue3:

Sorry, I had to say that. I too have noticed spell check doesn't work on some misspelled words. :tongue3:

I keep Websters handy when posting. :thumbsup:

I jist spell chacked my reply so if there aire any words spalled incorrectly it's not my feult.

I'm just saying, doesn't it seem unfair that some countries aren't noticed by spell check, while others are?

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.

Coins4Cheese said:
I'm just saying, doesn't it seem unfair that some countries aren't noticed by spell check, while others are?

The same could be said for other place names, like cities and towns that spell check doesn't know enough to capitalize. And then there are people's names that spell check doesn't recognize. Should people sue the author of the spell check software for not recognizing their names? (Are you listening Micro$oft?) :tongue3:

Is it racist to have these characters in black on a white background? And if you invert the image, who is the oppressed then?
Are we all to use Ding Bats instead? And who would be offended then?

F.

OP
OP
Coins4Cheese

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used

Spell check may go over NAMES of people because names are unique. But countries are a different thing; you can find almost (If that) every country in the world inside a book. Wars are fought between countries, so people have the right to be proud of their country. If you were from Ireland, and your country's letter didn't get noticed, while others did, wouldn't you feel a tiny bit upset? Does that make you feel non-superior or 'left out' compared to other countires?

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5-ID / Garrett Ace 250

I have a big problem with people who see racism in every comment, gesture, word or action they see. These people are just trying to get favorable treatment for themselves by screaming racism, then watching others try desparately to defend their innocent behavior. They don't believe in equality; they believe in getting unfair advantage by making false accusations.

OP
OP
Coins4Cheese

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used

Johnnysan said:
I have a big problem with people who see racism in every comment, gesture, word or action they see. These people are just trying to get favorable treatment for themselves by screaming racism, then watching others try desparately to defend their innocent behavior. They don't believe in equality; they believe in getting unfair advantage by making false accusations.

I'm not trying to bring favorable treatment to myself. I'm just addressing something that I've seen. And I'm not making false accusations, try it out.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is just a flaw in the spell checker is all.............I have seen other flaws in it as well, no big deal at all.....

discovery_bound

Feb 4, 2008
South Dakota, B&R in Montana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax

Coins4Cheese said:
Ok, so I had an idea. I would get some counties names, and put the first letter in lowercase.

I really think you need to find something more constructive to do. Get outside, breath, swing detector, repeat.

I have yet to see ANY computer program work perfectly. I highly doubt that the programmer/editor of spellcheck had a hidden 'racist' (as you say) agenda by not capitalizing a few words. People make a country for what it is, so just because the name of your country isn't capitalized doesn't mean it's substandard.

Seriously, go outside and get some fresh air.

HH
DB

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other

I wouldn't have thought a spell check was needed, we learned at school that Countries began with a capital letter.

U

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter said:
It is just a flaw in the spell checker is all.............I have seen other flaws in it as well, no big deal at all.....
What about flaws in people.......What we humans think about......

joecoin

Aug 22, 2007
milan ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov, Garrett Antique

morocco can refer to a type of leather and does not need to be capitalized in that instance.

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other

That's correct Joe.......I did just say Countries, the same applies to Towns as well.

U.

OP
OP
Coins4Cheese

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used

discovery_bound said:
Coins4Cheese said:
Ok, so I had an idea. I would get some counties names, and put the first letter in lowercase.

I really think you need to find something more constructive to do. Get outside, breath, swing detector, repeat.

I have yet to see ANY computer program work perfectly. I highly doubt that the programmer/editor of spellcheck had a hidden 'racist' (as you say) agenda by not capitalizing a few words. People make a country for what it is, so just because the name of your country isn't capitalized doesn't mean it's substandard.

HH
DB

Ok, people arn't getting what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying that the editor of spell cheak was racist.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Coins4Cheese said:
discovery_bound said:
Coins4Cheese said:

HH
DB

Ok, people arn't getting what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying that the editor of spell cheak was racist.

Coins,

No disrespect, we understand what you are saying, but are you understanding what we are saying. It is a software program, like all software programs it has a few errors, why are you so hung up on an error in a software program? Just move on, go out, go detecting, don't worry about the error in the program...

If I lived in Japan, the very last thing I would be doing is worrying about an error in a spell checker on a website. I would be at the beach hunting for all the gold lost there..... The second thing I would be doing is finding a pretty girl to talk to.... ;D

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Spell Check macht nichts, wann ich Deutsch spreche. Spell Check ist rassistisch.

OP
OP
Coins4Cheese

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used

Treasure_Hunter said:
Coins4Cheese said:
discovery_bound said:
Coins4Cheese said:

HH
DB

Coins,

No disrespect, we understand what you are saying, but are you understanding what we are saying. It is a software program, like all software programs it has a few errors, why are you so hung up on an error in a software program? Just move on, go out, go detecting, don't worry about the error in the program...

If I lived in Japan, the very last thing I would be doing is worrying about an error in a spell checker on a website. I would be at the beach hunting for all the gold lost there..... The second thing I would be doing is finding a pretty girl to talk to.... ;D

Ok. I'll just leave it at that ;D

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Do I smell another troll?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread