Minelab Sovereign tones??

dirtsearcher

Nov 18, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign,Ace 250,White's DFX, custom made waterproof detector
I was reading my owners manual and it states the Sovereign has a switch where the dealer can make it variable tone target ID or fixed tone target ID audio??I have been using my Sovereign for a couple weeks now and all coins(except nickles) sound the same whether they are silver or clad..dime or quarter.Even my rings sound like a coin??Where is this switch??There is no way to tell what is there now until you dig because everything sounds the same.I am really new to Minelabs and their tones so this seems strange to me.I have used White's for years.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I am going to have to dig out my manual to see about this. My Sov GT has a full range of tones which helps ID the target depending on the conductivity.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
I don't own a Sovereign, but I just read a little section of the detector's manual that states your Discrimination/All Metal switch ultimately controls whether your machine is going to have variable audio or fixed audio. When that switch is in the All Metal position, all audio will sound the same, and when the switch is in the "Disc." position, metal objects will give variable audio responses based on the conductivity of the metal. So if you're hearing a different sound for nickels than you do for dimes/quarters, you're probably hunting in the "Disc." mode already. Try All Metal....you'll probably see that every metal object in the ground will produce the same tone. Like I said....I don't own a Sovereign, but just read a small section of the manual concerning audio responses.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
D

dirtsearcher

Nov 18, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign,Ace 250,White's DFX, custom made waterproof detector
Yeah mine has a high tone for coins and such and a low tone for nickles,foils and trash.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
dirtsearcher said:
Yeah mine has a high tone for coins and such and a low tone for nickles,foils and trash.

Well, that means you're hunting in the "Discrimination" mode, and you're getting variable tone ID with your machine. Are you sure you can't tell the difference between a zinc penny and a quarter? They should give different tones...listen carefully. On my Explorer, I can easily tell the tone difference between a zinc penny, copper memorial penny, and quarters.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

crazyman

Nov 6, 2005
Indianola, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Sovereign Elite, Minelab Advantage
Which model are you using? The XS-2A Pro and Elite have a switch on the face for single tone or multi tone. People have modded other Sovereign models also to have the single tone option. Using the multi tone and being able to separate targets that are close like between a zinc penny and a dime can be dependent on the headphones most of the time. I've used different headphones with my Sovereigns that I couldn't tell a pulltab from a quarter. For headphones I prefer 32 ohms and lower on the Sovereigns. They seem to match my hearing and I can separate tones more easily with them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread