Metal Detecting

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Bandido II Umax,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found out they are trying to sue them for the same thing they sued Whites for. Patent US7310586.

Good grief .. What a joke of a patent.

Wonder what people are going to think if Minelab loses after Whites settled?

Minelab is sueing xp for --

10. A method for operating a metal detector of a type which includes the ability to select values of operating parameters and to store such values as data, the method including the steps of:
a. receiving operating parameter data via an electronic transmission link from a data source external to the metal detector, the operating parameter data being a set of values of operating parameters,
b. storing the operating parameter data in an electronic memory within the metal detector, and
c. modifying the operating parameters of the metal detector to conform to the set of values of operating parameters specified by the operating parameter data,
wherein the electronic transmission link includes a wireless connection transmitting through space between the metal detector and the external data source.

And --

15. A method for operating a metal detector as in claim 10 wherein the operating parameters include one or more of:
a. filters to be applied to a receive search signal;
b. an amplitude range of a conductance component of a receive search signal;
c. an amplitude range of an inductive component of a receive search signal; and
d. an information set indicating the values of one or more user modifiable settings of the detector.

So basically your metal detector is not allowed to :

Filter a received signal. - Im looking to see how this is defined..
Have an amplitude range of a conductive component? - Looking to see how this is defined..
Have an amplitude range of a inductive component? - Looking to see how this is defined..
And you cant have user settings

Last edited:

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I removed my comment to keep topic on point.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure. We can rehash for the umpteenth time in this thread since January that the Minelab patent is weak and then have the minelab proponents come out to disagree yet again or we can endlessly argue about the merits of harnesses again. I say we come up with another off topic tangent or the mods can close the thread and put it out of it's misery since we are not plowing any new ground. Lol.

Last edited:

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Bandido II Umax,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure. We can rehash for the umpteenth time in this thread since January that the Minelab patent is weak and then have the minelab proponents come out to disagree yet again or we can endlessly argue about the merits of harnesses again. I say we come up with another off topic tangent or the mods can close the thread and put it out of it's misery since we are not plowing any new ground. Lol.

Ok take it back to the harnesses.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Does your friend with the Deus have severe shoulder issues or is he just used to swinging with a harness? I ask because I like the Deus as a no fuss, no muss minimal setup detector I can just grab out of the back of the vehicle and hit the site with minimal hassle. I have never thought of donning a harness with it as I am able to swing it all day and certainly for a few hours at a time and I am by no means a picture of orthopedic health lol. On the other hand, no sense in trying to be a hero out there if you have a bum shoulder or if you already have the harness strapped on to accommodate another detector, I suppose.

Vferrari, I'm the hunting buddy Treasure Hunter refers to who uses a harness for every detector in my arsenal...including the Deus. 8-)

There are several reasons I prefer such a set up...and I totally agree it's a personal choice:

1. My harness doubles as a hydra pack and detecting in Florida...regardless of the "season" one dares not go without a lot of water. I can carry much more water in my hydra pack (strapped to my back) than I care to have hanging off my belt in a bottle or canteen.

2. All my accessories (finds bag, digger, pin pointer, waterproof case, small brush plus notebook and pen/pencil if needed for my reports ) are attached to my harness at all times so I need only pick up the harness and everything else comes with it.

3. I can let go of the detector and do whatever with both hands free i.e. take notes on testing results or finds and the detector stays right by my side...not on the ground, in the mud or in the water.

Let me also assure you, using a harness with the Deus is NOT because of its "extreme" weight! :laughing7: It's just more convenient for me for the reasons stated above.

Just the personal view from my foxhole

Edited note: Just to clarify my mention of reports; I do voluntary field testing and archaeological surveys for Kellyco ergo the need for pen/pencil and a clean and dry notebook.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonol Dan - for what you are doing it makes perfect sense to use a harness regardless what detector you are using and especially if you are frequently swapping detectors in the field. I have done a little archeological detecting but have been lucky to have been paired up with an archeologist doing the paperwork and switching off with them. Everyone wanted their chance to do the fun stuff...you know, paperwork. Lol.

Treasure Hunter - forgot to comment that I agree that using a harness in the water, especially in surf or hip deep water, is practically essential.

Last edited:

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ORDER GRANTING Motion for Extension of Time to Answer. It is hereby ORDERED that said Motion is GRANTED, and the deadline for Defendants to file their Answer is EXTENDED until September 22, 2017. Signed by Judge Mark R. Hornak on 8/22/17. Text-only entry; no PDF document will issue. This text-only entry constitutes the Order of the Court or Notice on the matter. (bdb)
Unopposed MOTION for Extension of Time to File Answer re18 Amended Complaint, filed by MINELAB ELECRONICS PTY LTD by DETECTOR ELECTRONICS CORP., XP METAL DETECTORS. (Verdini, Christopher)

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the update.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friday, October 20, 201737
1 pgs
order
Order ~Util - Terminate Civil Case
Fri 8:06 AM
ORDER OF COURT. This action has been resolved and the only matter remaining to be completed is the submission of a stipulation for dismissal. IT IS HEREBY ORDERED that the Clerk mark the above-captioned action CLOSED. IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that the Court expressly retains jurisdiction of this matter to consider any issue arising during the period when such stipulation is being finalized, including but not limited to enforcing any settlement. Signed by Judge Mark R. Hornak on 10/20/17. Modified on 10/20/17 to add document to entry. (bdb)

Thursday, October 19, 2017
notice
Notice of Settlement
Thu 2:30 PM
NOTICE of Settlement Agreement in Principle (Joint Notice) by DETECTOR ELECTRONICS CORP., XP METAL DETECTORS (Verdini, Christopher)

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok like, so ,,, Who prevailed ?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like XP settled out of court to me.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok like, so ,,, Who prevailed ?

This is fresh off the Court docket. It was settled out of Court, so there is no way to determine what the provisions are until we here from one of the Companies.

Notsuredomus

Aug 12, 2012
Classic Hill Mine, Siskiyou County
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Whites GMT
Garret ProPointer
Bazooka Gold Trap Super Prospector
Fossicker Production Pan
Proline 3in Dredge/Highbanker Combo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's ridiculous. If I copy-write a song in C major I prove that I own the song but I don't own the rights to the key of C

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's ridiculous. If I copy-write a song in C major I prove that I own the song but I don't own the rights to the key of C
I agree that this case seems bogus to me, but you can't compare a copyright with a patent. They are not the same thing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread