Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't understand why hunters want use a harness, I have been using a harness for over 10 years, makes swinging a detector, any detector a piece of cake. I used harness on ever detector I have owned, from the Conquistador to my 3030.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk
I used one with the CTX while I had it but didnt like the harness. Then along came the Deus I bought for my wife. I REALLY liked it and after side by side comparisons and hemming and hawing, bought myself a Deus and got rid of the CTX. If I saw a real depth or separation advantage I would have kept using the CTX. But they are pretty much equal w/ the Deus excelling in the heavy iron. Which means the weight issue was the major deciding factor for me. Believe me, I swore by the CTX until I went to learn the Deus for my wife. Had the Explorer SE before that.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My problem with a harness is that it's just one more thing I have to deal with during target recovery (clip/unclip). That being said, the GPX is a great Minelab detector that does not require a harness (the go detect 60 doesn't need one either - lol).

I called my harness 'detecting underwear'. Maybe I'm just lazy but I thought it was a nuisance. It did work though.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I called my harness 'detecting underwear'. Maybe I'm just lazy but I thought it was a nuisance. It did work though.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that a decent belt and shoulder harness like the Minelab ProSwing gets in the way of wearing my recovery pouch belt/gear and also a daypack if I am doing a marathon, backwoods relic session.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The other thing I forgot to mention is that a decent belt and shoulder harness like the Minelab ProSwing gets in the way of wearing my recovery pouch belt/gear and also a daypack if I am doing a marathon, backwoods relic session.
Yep. Thats the one I had. I ended up making one out of a sling and a thin bungie tie that was less cumbersome.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My problem with a harness is that it's just one more thing I have to deal with during target recovery (clip/unclip). That being said, the GPX is a great Minelab detector that does not require a harness (the go detect 60 doesn't need one either - lol).
I have never had to unclip to recover a target yet, never had need to do so. I've used harness on many different models of defectors both on land and in the water.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never had to unclip to recover a target yet, never had need to do so. I've used harness on many different models of defectors both on land and in the water.

You asked why people don't wear harnesses. I gave you MY answer based on MY experience. When I am on my hands and knees bending over or am bending down into a large deep hole in a farm field trying to recover a deep target (which is a frequent relic hunting experience for me), it just doesn't work to have my heavy ATX hanging off my harness. So i have to unclip to pinpoint and recover the target without losing balance. Doesn't happen 100% of the time but often enough that it was awkward for me so I abandoned the harness even with the battle tank that is the ATX. One of the issues that pushed me to the GPX. Sorry that I have not mastered the harness to the point that I NEVER have to unclip, unlike you. I am obviously not as experienced and skilled as most on Tnet, but thought I would give an HONEST answer as to why a harness does not work for ME. I still own the harness and am not out here telling people not to use one. So please don't take offense. Now the ideal solution when the conditions suit is to use the Deus. And that is some dream detecting right there. Not a harness in sight.

I guess another way to look at it is this: If I had two detectors that had exactly the same capabilities except the weight and dimensions of one were such that I would need a harness to swing it comfortably, would most people say that having to use the harness is a non factor? I doubt it.

On the flip side, if there was a detector that had the features and capabilities of no other and it would enable me without a doubt to have more success coin shooting or relic hunting but that would REQUIRE me to use a harness to swing it, would I NOT consider it just because of the swing harness. Of course not.

I wish all detector decisions were as straightforward as my two ridiculous examples, but of course they are not. So different strokes, for different folks. To harness or not to harness. Whatever works best is the answer.

Last edited:

Pennypacker

Banned
May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vferrari, that guy is a huge troll, don't feel like you need to respond to him.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vferrari, that guy is a huge troll, don't feel like you need to respond to him.
Who are you calling a troll, which by the way violates our rules no matter who it is.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Detecting Buddy (about $25). It's not in my way at all and haven't found a need to unclip yet for any reason.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Detecting Buddy (about $25). It's not in my way at all and haven't found a need to unclip yet for any reason.

Are you using an ATX or similar sized bulky detector with it?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know about Cuda, but myself I currently hunt with excals, 3030, sovereign, Xterra 705 and use harness with them, have also used harness on Beachhunter ID, whites MXT, Troy X2, Tesoro Sand Shark and Conquistador.

One of my hunting partners has Deus and uses harness on it too.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter, I lost track of who's using what as far as harnesses go. Do you use a pro swing or a less bulky bungee based harness such as the Detecting Buddy mentioned above?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter, I lost track of who's using what as far as harnesses go. Do you use a pro swing or a less bulky bungee based harness such as the Detecting Buddy mentioned above?
I have several, I primarily use a bungee attached to a camelpak, also have the Detector Pro Detecting Pal Bungee Harness, and the ML Pro Swing I got used.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does your friend with the Deus have severe shoulder issues or is he just used to swinging with a harness? I ask because I like the Deus as a no fuss, no muss minimal setup detector I can just grab out of the back of the vehicle and hit the site with minimal hassle. I have never thought of donning a harness with it as I am able to swing it all day and certainly for a few hours at a time and I am by no means a picture of orthopedic health lol. On the other hand, no sense in trying to be a hero out there if you have a bum shoulder or if you already have the harness strapped on to accommodate another detector, I suppose.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does your friend with the Deus have severe shoulder issues or is he just used to swinging with a harness? I ask because I like the Deus as a no fuss, no muss minimal setup detector I can just grab out of the back of the vehicle and hit the site with minimal hassle. I have never thought of donning a harness with it as I am able to swing it all day and certainly for a few hours at a time and I am by no means a picture of orthopedic health lol. On the other hand, no sense in trying to be a hero out there if you have a bum shoulder or if you already have the harness strapped on to accommodate another detector, I suppose.

I never asked why he uses it, probably same reason I do, it makes detecting so much easier. Besides supporting the weight it also allows you to let go of your detector while standing and detector stands by your side, controls up coil on the ground.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welp, I guess we've come full circle then. Regardless, of detector weight (CTX or Deus) you would wear a harness. Others might find a harness burdensome. Different strokes etc. No right or wrong answer. It's a choice.

What does this have to do with the original topic? I guess when Minelab makes a detector as light and as capable as the Deus then XP might sue them. Apparently, the Go Find isn't considered a threat by XP. Lol.

Those without a sense of humor need not reply.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you using an ATX or similar sized bulky detector with it?

I use it mainly with an E-trac with a 15" NEL Attack coil on it. Pretty heavy combo. I agree with TH on another bonus that he mentioned......that when you're standing, you can let go of the detector and it stays upright by your side. Handy on some recoveries or working shallow water with a detector that isn't waterproof. :icon_thumleft:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use it mainly with an E-trac with a 15" NEL Attack coil on it. Pretty heavy combo. I agree with TH on another bonus that he mentioned......that when you're standing, you can let go of the detector and it stays upright by your side. Handy on some recoveries or working shallow water with a detector that isn't waterproof. :icon_thumleft:

It works great when your in the water trying to recover a target especially in surf, you can use both hands on the scoop and detector hangs right by your side. Works good on land when I want to let go to do something too.

Last edited:

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FWIW, I'm with you. I bought a Lejermon Model S for the Fisher F75 that I use as a backup machine, but I hate it. I just do not like being tethered to my devices. Even if it just takes a second to unclip the harness while digging, it is still a step that I would rather not have to take. I don't want wired headphones, and I don't want an attached detector. That's just me, and no doubt others do not feel that way. That's fine... let them use harnesses and wired headphones and coiled retrievers on their pinpointers all they want.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never asked why he uses it, probably same reason I do, it makes detecting so much easier. Besides supporting the weight it also allows you to let go of your detector while standing and detector stands by your side, controls up coil on the ground.

So when land detecting what happens with the detector when you bend down to dig your target?

Is this where the unclipping of the machine comes into play, or does it just easily swing out of the way?

I've separated my shoulder twice in as many years now, and though I can do a full day with the stock coil on the CTX, I do find that my forearm gets pretty tired........funny, but my shoulder doesn't bother me at all?

I'm thinking about moving up to the 17" coil, but know that will likely kill me at first?

The one thing that I love about the CTX is the fact that I am not tied to the machine by my headphones, so a harness seems to be a step backwards........though I could be swayed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread