Minelab was purchased recently by Codan!

tumbleinn2

Apr 24, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
WHITE"S SPECTRA V3i d2 coil 6x10 coil 5.3 coil super 12 surfmaster II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, it is probably no secret that Minelab has been suffering problems in their supply chain and service department. I'm sure they knew they were going to get an earful, and they did. Much to their credit, they openly acknowledged the shortcomings, and are obviously well underway in addressing the issues. Supplies of detectors and accessories are rapidly catching up to the extreme demand, with detectors coming back online first and accessories shortly after. To back up the expanded service department the following warranty changes have just been announced:

7 day, no questions asked product replacement
• Out of box failures

30 day product replacement review
• Out of box failures up to 30 days after initial purchase

90 day guarantee on out of warranty repair work
• Repair for same problem at no additional charge
• Free shipping back to Minelab to remedy problem (3-day select, both ways)
• Currently excludes Excaliburs (to be included Jan 1, 2011)
• For in-warranty work, we will extend a Customer’s warranty for the amount of time we have the machine

But I came away with a sense of excitement on another level. Minelab was purchased recently by Codan. Codan is a hi-tech company specializing in radio communications, technology closely related to how metal detectors work. Check them out at http://www.codan.com.au/ Much has been made of the fact that some Minelab manufacturing has been shifted to Malaysia. What has been left out is that the facilities are owned by Plexus, a US owned company based in Wisconsin. More on them at http://www.plexus.com/ The message being sent is that Minelab is positioned to be the first truly global competitor in the metal detector market, with engineering and manufacturing facilities and people that should make the other manufacturers take notice.

Minelab has all the pieces in place, and now it is all about execution. There are still a lot of ifs here. But if they can get their motor hitting on all cylinders they have the capability to take the metal detecting customer experience to a whole new level.

I expect there will still be stumbles as the new team integrates. But I walked into the meetings with a pretty cynical attitude and came away feeling hopeful, and that is something in itself. Much thanks goes to all the dedicated people at Minelab who answered all my questions with great candor. It was refreshing to say the least.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an issue with a new machine from Minelab , but I have to say they went above and beyond getting a new machine to me . And it did not cost me any money at all for this to happen.

So far they are doing what they said they would do and seem to be doing it well. Time will tell the tale but as it is I hope they keep moving as they are now. Because if they do , Minelab will be a powerhouse in the coming years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread