Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250i Nel Hunter
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Fat Rat
You're gonna get all sorts of answers to this.
I just moved to the 600 from an Ace250, i think the XT would be far superior to the Garrett, and to be honest, i wish i had waited or bought something else.
I am stuck with it now, but it really ain't what it's hyped up to be... That's my opinion..

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what AstralDruid is doing wrong but the Nox is a great machine and with the multi IQ technology the separation rate is unsurpassed at that price range...

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what AstralDruid is doing wrong but the Nox is a great machine and with the multi IQ technology the separation rate is unsurpassed at that price range...

Hi Toecutter

Don't think i am doing anything wrong,, but am still learning,, this is true.
I have found some nice things with the 600, but nothing yet that would make me think 'the old Ace would have missed that'... if you know what i mean.. Everything has been in same depth range as Ace and fully detectable by it.. This may change someday, when i hit something great,, buit that ain't happened yet.

holding out for my first Nox 'love in' moment

OP
OP
P

Phatt_Rhatt

Greenie
Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so like the depth range is probably the same on the 305 vs 600?

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so like the depth range is probably the same on the 305 vs 600?

Well, if you were getting decent hits at 6-8 inches, then it will be pretty much similar, there has been no noticable depth gain for me,,, To be clear it is early days for me with the 600, but the price increase compared to the XT and it's kin, for perhaps an inch ?? Waterproof is a plus i suppose.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Nox has Multi IQ technology, it scans using more then one frequency, this is beneficial in trashy sites and helps separate the good stuff from the bad stuff...

If your hunting in places that you dig everything well no point in upgrading but if your hunting in trashy areas then the Nox is the best detector at that price range..

I hunted with the ATpro for awhile and did well, I went back to sites that I thought where hunted out with my Nox and did really well...

Last edited:

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Opinion and advice can often be confused...

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Toecutter

Don't think i am doing anything wrong,, but am still learning,, this is true.
I have found some nice things with the 600, but nothing yet that would make me think 'the old Ace would have missed that'... if you know what i mean.. Everything has been in same depth range as Ace and fully detectable by it.. This may change someday, when i hit something great,, buit that ain't happened yet.

holding out for my first Nox 'love in' moment

I think maybe your expectations were a bit off. If you thought Equinox was deeper than any other vlf machine out there, well then, that is probably why you are disappointed. The main thing that determines depth performance is the coil size and soil conditions in relatively junk free mild ground. Multi IQ doesn't improve detection depth at all. It enables imoroved performance under challenging soil conditions or in salt over a wider range of target conductivities vs. a single frequency machine. In other words, it is more versatile in that it can give you decent performance over most of the environmental andcsoil conditions you might encounter. Combine that with fast signal processing (recovery speed), improved rejection of iron falsing (different than just iron discrimination), and a waterproof housing and you have a detector that you can take into the water or that can help you pick out shallow non-ferrous that has been masked by iron and has been passed over by detectorists using slower detectors (e.g., your Ace 250). Yeah,the Equinox probably won't significantly outperform an Ace or an X-Terra on a typical coin target in non-challening conditions, but that is not point. Depth is not the only detector performance parameter that matters and the Equinix is more versatile and will outperform either of these detectors in thick iron or mineralized soil where target depth capability realky suffers. HTH

AstralDruid

Oct 22, 2019
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 15" coil
XP-Mi4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi VF
i hear ya...
My expectations were obviously too high, this is true... I was hesitant, before taking the plunge on the Nox.. now i am detecting more than before so finds are increasing..due' to time in the field..
I get that the recovery speed is better and there are some features that are relatively advanced compared to the old Ace, i dunno, i just thought it was gonna be more, more of what ? i'm not sure.. Expectations are always a curse.
So now i get on with it and will use the nox for the next few years, but i am not a fanboy and will not sing undue praises of an over priced relatively small upgrade..perhaps it will prove to be great and i will be the first to acknowledge it..
I gotta sort out the Iron bias carry on...

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi VF
i hear ya...
My expectations were obviously too high, this is true... I was hesitant, before taking the plunge on the Nox.. now i am detecting more than before so finds are increasing..due' to time in the field..
I get that the recovery speed is better and there are some features that are relatively advanced compared to the old Ace, i dunno, i just thought it was gonna be more, more of what ? i'm not sure.. Expectations are always a curse.
So now i get on with it and will use the nox for the next few years, but i am not a fanboy and will not sing undue praises of an over priced relatively small upgrade..perhaps it will prove to be great and i will be the first to acknowledge it..
I gotta sort out the Iron bias carry on...

Dude, believe me you just need to put in a significant amount of time with the Nox to flip from the ACE. I wanted to wrap the Nox around a tree multiple times and switched back to my 250 in the first 6 months of heavy detecting. I too was a bit of a naysayer initially. The 250 is a really fun, capable machine that will pull significant finds as long as you have unlimited virgin clean soil to hunt. It will also surprise you with some really deep targets if you use the larger Garret DD coils.

Hang in there with the Nox and you will eventually have that epiphany moment of clarity...but don’t expect to find 2x as much stuff or much deeper or no trash or... in general I would say that my hunts are 25% overall more productive than with the ACE. (Part of this improvement is most likely due to becoming a better overall detectorist and trying new/better techniques.)

OP
OP
P

Phatt_Rhatt

Greenie
Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kinda coil could I add to my X-Terra 305 to get more depth?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread