MINELABS, EXPLORER-2

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Re: an HOUR with the EXPLORER-2

they make a smaller coil for the explorer, no? do you think a smaller coil would lessen the problem? i have not given up on the explorer by a long shot. i am really impressed with its ability to find deep targets and targets sitting at odd angles. this is what really has got my interest at the moment.i could be wrong, but from what i have read it seems that the explorer can find these types of targets better than the compitition. would you agree? again thanks for the help. these kinds of threads really are helping me to narrow down the choices. it can really be overwhelming when you are trying to choose a new ( and expensive) detector!

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A smaller Coil would Work Better, HOWEVER, you Gotta Realize,

Im used to the Sovereign with a 15" WOT.

The 10" seems Small to me? ;D

I'v heard Alot of Good things about the Explorer,

I can't HONESTLY COmpare it to the DFX or any other Top Brand, Because I'v never Owned them.

HOWEVER, What I now know about the EXPLORER in this Short Time.

I'm shure The More I learn it, The More Impressed I'm going to be By it.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RV ;

I'm running Factory Preset Disc. right now.

I have Sense set all the way up but also in SEMI AUTO.

Threshold barely audible.

VOLUME Max.

GAIN Max

Variability Max

Limits Max

Everything else is Factory Preset

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont

Nice find Jeff. They made two different varieties of the 1875 S. One with the mint mark in the wreath as yours is and one below the wreath. (neither is worth any more, just interesting). Congrats...Lance

R

rvbvetter

Jeff
I max every thing too. I've heard some say they can't on theirs, but in the months i've ran mine. I've only run into 1 place, maybe 2 that i couldnt. And then i only bumped the gain down to 9 or 8 and it was fine again. But don't forget to bring it back up for the next site. I've forgotten before and next time i used it, i could tell something wasn't right. But i just couldn't put my finger on it. Out there swinging it and thinking, what has changed. It still performed great but frustrated me because all i could think was WHAT THE HELLS THE MATTER WITH IT!!!! Its not the same machine it was 3 days ago!! And finally find it, or remember, and then just wanting to run out into traffic. You ever been there?

Glad to see your running your variability up. Because when you think it's reached it's highest pitch. And/ or if it went any higher it would pierce your ear drum. Then suddenly the high pitch jumps up to an entire nother plateau. And becomes ( best way i can describe it) tuneful. And look at the depth bar and it'll be showing10 in. The sound change is like going from carob to chocolate. You'll know it when you hear it. And you probaly already have.
I run the ground balance like your doing. The little bar flashing around the numbers on the left side of your screen. So far it works best for me.
I'm going to locate some posts i made on the EXP II, here at the forum. Then i'll tell you where there at. And you can check them out and see if you think they'll work for you. HH

R

rvbvetter

I run in advanced normal, with deep and fast on.
If theres very few targets, then i'll run in deep only.
When running in deep only , theres a bit of lag. HH

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I forgot about "DEEP & FAST" settings.

Didn't get that far in the Manual yet.

THANKS !

Jeff

PS

I won't get out today, But Definately Tomorrow.

I'll let you know How it went.

HAPPY HUNTING !
Jeff

Attachments

• Explorer-II.jpg
    Explorer-II.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 1,787
R

rvbvetter

Jeff
Sheesh!! It's not as easy as i thought it would be to find my old posts.

Here's one though. It's in Teck Talk and in the post authored by coinshot Minelab vs Whites vs Fisher

I'm still looking for the others. So don't go anywhere, stay right there.
I saw that!! You moved!!

Exactly the same on my seated dime. I thought it was a barber because the back was the first thing i saw.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LOOKS like it's gonna Be Saturday Before The Heat Breaks.

? Was out Today, Just Reverted to COINSHOOTING because of the heat.

Best Find 1906 Indian Cent.

Date is Clear But Rest is Bad.

? Got tired of Digging 10" Deep Memorials at TODAYS spot.
I actually passed on a couple spots where it sounded like a dozen or so Memorials Spilled.

? ?Ground is VERY SANDY.

Definately gotta try "Fast & Deep"

Just "Deep" confused me of where the Signals were.

It couldn't switch between targets Fast enough.

Attachments

• Explorer-II.jpg
    Explorer-II.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 1,661
  • Explorer-II.jpg
    Explorer-II.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 1,669

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa said:
LOOKS like it's gonna Be Saturday Before The Heat Breaks.

? Was out Today, Just Reverted to COINSHOOTING because of the heat.

Best Find 1906 Indian Cent.

Date is Clear But Rest is Bad.

? Got tired of Digging 10" Deep Memorials at TODAYS spot.
? ? ? ? ? I actually passed on a couple spots where it sounded like a dozen or so Memorials Spilled.

? ?Ground is VERY SANDY.

Definately gotta try "Fast & Deep"

Just "Deep" confused me of where the Signals were.

It couldn't switch between targets Fast enough.

Jeff,

how do you like that machine so far?

Do you feel it's worth the price tag?

Do you think the new Sov. GT would compete with the depth of that machine?

I still haven't made up my mind as to if I'm going to buy the GT or some other machine. Sold the DFX and am thinking of selling the Ex-cal 1000 too so I can move on to a new detector (possibly the Explorer 2) not sure yet.

Thanks for the info in advance,

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, "LW"

So far I'm Impressed with the Explorer.

I think Learning would be Better IF I didn't have to Fight the SWEAT, While Detecting.

Lately I Tend to Weigh My options on weather to Dig or Not.

? I DON'T LIKE THIS.

? I'v always been a Dig everything Person.

I Havn't Tried the GT, but it's supposed to have more depth then the Sov. XS, add a WOT coil,
I think it may come Close. at least for someone who Knows the GT 100% over someone who Knows the Explorer 50%.
? ? ?The Explorer has So many OPTIONS, it just MAY be able to be TWEAKED to Beat ALOT of other detectors. (IF NOT ALL) at least That's what I'm Hopeing? ;)

I don't think the GT would be a Big Jump forward from the Excal, as the Explorer is.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Jeff

Attachments

• Explorer-II.jpg
    Explorer-II.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 1,644
  • Explorer-II.jpg
    Explorer-II.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 1,647

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oops,

got impatient and sent a PM to you on this matter!

Thanks for the info!

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No problem.

On the Learning Curve Thing.

Some things Take Me awhile To SINK IN.

But once they Do, Tweaking those things I'v Learned Seems to Come Naturally.

YES it is a Little complicated.

But I'm willing to Believe By next Spring, I'll Have Mastered the Whole Thing.

R

rvbvetter

? ?Thought i would just throw in an observance.

? ? ? ?What i've noticed, since i've been learnig the EXP II and the DFX at the same time. ?
?In my opinion, the Dfx is easier to hunt with at the beginning. And the learning curve is not as steep as the EXP. ? At least initialy. but it soon it evens out, and then begins to tilt the other way.
?The learning curve on the EXP II is steeper, but shorter. ?The DFX is not as steep but longer.
The reason is, the ML can be adjusted or changed without messing everything else up.
Unless of course you hit the wrong button and erase everything. Like i did a time or two. But you only have to turn it off and then on again to get back to nearly where you were, before you erased everything. Or if you get confused, just turn it off and on, and it's cool again.

? ? If you make a change in the DFX then you have to go to other areas and make changes to them to ?coincide with your first adjustment. Syncronize. If you don't the detector becomes unstable. And can give false signals or won't give a solid signal on a good target. Everything sounds like its trying to be rejected. Thats why the longer learning curve. Learning what else you have to change to match your first adjustment.

? ? The EXP II is an all around more stable detector. And once you start getting the idea, things start falling into place.
? Where as the DFX your still trying to learn what other two adjustments ?you have to make, to go along with your first adjustment
? It's easier to see and find where your at with the DFX meter readout.
The EXP II, you have to go off in search of where your at. Many settings are not in veiw. You have to meander through different departments to find what you want or where your at.

? As far as depth, unless i'm missing something. The EXP II wins, but the DFX is not far behind.,

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? HH

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Congrats on the seated Jeff. Good luck with learning your new machine. Rvbvetter go to disc edit block edit and have the dfx accept -80 through plus 95 and you'll see some real depth. Crank ac and preamp to max and it will go really deep. You don't need all that depth. Coins rarely get that deep where you need the machine set up to find a penny at 16 inches.

Not trying to start anything people just misunderstand the dfx and it's ability to be set up for deep seeking targets. Were the explorer seems to be set up to go deep without having to understand what will do the trick.

Good Luck Jeff

HH Jer

R

rvbvetter

I've block edited to hither and thither. Much like on my old whites eagle.
I've tried numerous other combos, in order to see what does what. After all, to truly run a detector to it's full potential, you have to get your hands dirty and get in there and see what's what.
I generally max everything as long as i can get away with it. I can usually max ac but not as often preamp. Often times if i try 4 on pre amp , at least to a 100 miles out from my area, it'll bebop all over or false, again, all over. Ican run 3 usually but sometimes have to drop to 2.

Any way, i'm certain you're a much better operator of the Dfx than i am. With much more experience with the Dfx than i have.
But having had whites before, i am not without some knowledge of them.

But if you like, feel free to defend the Dfx to the bitter end.

I'll stick with my prior statement/post. HH

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Guess I'll update Here.

? I'm not getting out a Whole Lot Yet, IF it isn't in the Mid 90's.

It's Raining. when I do go out it's to Sites I HAMMERED with My SOVEREIGN With the 15" WOT COIL ON.

Hopefully I'll get a Few Full days Soon.

Sinse the Last time I posted I found a Few more Wheats. a LARGE CENT with NO Details.

Alot of Clad & trash.

And The WATCH BELOW.

I am getting better at Pinpointing. the Large cent was 9 1/2 " exactly.and I was DEAD ON.
How I know, after popping it out the Bottom of the Hole, I put my Probe in & it was
Exactly the Length of My S-1 Probe.

? ?My one POSTABLE FIND this week: Elegante' Quarts ; SWISS PARTS; CHINA MOV'T ; No Jewels.
Looks old But Battery Operated, so I'd say less then 30 Years old.
I don't know when they Started making Battery Operated Watches.

Attachments

• watch004.jpg
    watch004.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,466
  • watchclose003.jpg
    watchclose003.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,446

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread