Marc67

Jun 16, 2023
image.jpg

So I found this today in Masontown, PA outside of an abandoned coal mine. I was looking for kimberlite but this is all I could find. The rock has a lot of mineralization. There are some red spots which I think may be garnets. Not really sure what these blue gemstones are. My guess is either smoky quartz, or sapphire. I broke a piece out and polished it. It’s very hard and was able to scratch a hardened steel drill bit. It looks like there are larger higher quality stones protruding from the rock. Does anyone have any idea what I might have found? Thank you

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Marc67

Jun 16, 2023
View attachment 2089287

So I found this today in Masontown, PA outside of an abandoned coal mine. I was looking for kimberlite but this is all I could find. The rock has a lot of mineralization. There are some red spots which I think may be garnets. Not really sure what these blue gemstones are. My guess is either smoky quartz, or sapphire. I broke a piece out and polished it. It’s very hard and was able to scratch a hardened steel drill bit. It looks like there are larger higher quality stones protruding from the rock. Does anyone have any idea what I might have found? Thank you
image.jpg
image.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread